How'd you acquire your Beatles "Yesterday... And Today" Butcher Cover?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dasacco, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Second state, stereo. Simple enough...my older sister was the big Beatles fan, and her copy - handed down to me - is the butcher. We didn't know it for about thirty years. One day I looked, and found the most beautiful black V-neck I've ever seen.

2. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Sigh...had one through college, and had no idea it was worth anything...sold it to a used record store in the early 1970s when I picked up a British copy of Revolver, which I figured was much rarer!

3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Love these stories. I too bought one for 50 cents in a used record store in the mid 70's. This one also had the upper right hand corner lifted to reveal the butcher below. It's weird to think that someone knew enough to check it but didn't buy it!

My stereo butcher came through a friend I worked with in the early 70's who knew how much I loved The Beatles. He told me he'd give me the album, but he loved the music on there so much he didn't want to lose it. I offered to buy him a new copy of the album (still in print, about $5.98 I think) and he thought I was crazy. I'll never forget him saying "You'd spend $6 on a new record just to get this cover??!!!???":winkgrin:

5. AHSLong

AHSLong New Member

I placed an ad in the Village Voice (when I was living in Ontario, Canada, aged 16, late summer 1966). Some extremely kind Voice reader wrote to me to say the House of Oldies, New York, had a copy. I wrote to them, they quoted $25 for the mono, $30 for the stereo. I bought the stereo copy.

It arrived at our local post office with a TON of small denomination stamps. Alas I had to part with it but realized, at the time (early 1980s), a satisfactory sum!

A conservation note: Mine was a first state. Over time (1966-1981) the glue dried out and it became disengaged from the main sleeve, all by itself under average humidity (New York) conditions. I considered this a stroke of good luck because the cardboard sleeve is non archival. Lucky owners might want to monitor their treasures!

Steve

6. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I bought a second state mono in VG condition about a year ago among a bunch of other records I bought. I had looked for one so many times over the years that I didn't even examine this one for three or four days and then thought to look at it and, sure enough, I could see Ringo's v-neck.

I gave $2.00 for it.

7. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I bought a sealed mono 1st stae for $200 from Cand D Record barr in Newport , Ky in 1975 0r 76. That was the most I ever paid for a record. Ended up tradingit for a Stereo Butcher slick and a Beach Boys smile slick that I got autographed by everyone, including Brian. I know the mono sealed would be worth more $, but... Priceless.

My best friend found a paste over in 1966 and we staemed it. have only found one other one non-collector copy when i was in college but the guy wouldn't part with it, even though he didn't know what he had.

8. dlubben

dlubben Member

I bought mine at Montgomery Wards in 66. It was my first new album. Too bad it was my first one cause I beat the crap out of it. I found out it was a butcher about 3yrs ago when a friend brought over his record price book. That's when I became a collector. Even though the edges are shredded, the cover is really pretty clean. I hope to come across another someday, but I won't have this one peeled.

9. soleblaze

soleblaze Member

I have a small record collection that my parents gave me when I started getting into Vinyl. She bought the 2nd state butcher cover when it just came out, and peeled it soon afterwords. It's not that bad of a peel job, some of the cover came off with it but it's mostly in the top left where it doesn't obscure anything.

So, what's a good way to display something like this without it being eaten by UV/acid paper? Do t hey make good LP frames to house these?

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The first time I ever saw (or had an inkling of the existence of) the Butcher cover was the one on display at The House Of Oldies. They must have had a ton of them, because I saw it in 1968, and I seriously doubt that you bought the same copy that I saw!

In 1980, I traded a Sgt Pepper picture disc, a UK Elvis Costello Armed Forces, and a UK Elvis Costello This Year's Model for a stereo Butcher!

Attached Files:

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

You're lucky. I haven't even gotten one in my dreams. :D

12. AHSLong

AHSLong New Member

Hi Larry!

Great story and great trade! Re: the House of Oldies having several copies of the Butcher LP, I just don't know. As of last year the shop still existed. I visited NYC for the first time in 1970, first Colony Records in the Brill Building (Carole King's musical home) 49th and Broadway. The store still exists. I went in yesterday (Saturday) and the place was packed with tourists. As many of you know they have a Beatles, etc memorabilia section. Top dollar prices: Dell Giant comic book, so faded the front cover text is all but gone, for $375!

To return to the House of Oldies, I visited the shop in 1970 as well and thanked the owner for sending the Butcher to me. I visited again last year and he still runs the shop and is utterly dedicated to vinyl. Well worth a visit still. Hope this info is current.

Steve

Incidently, my stereo Butcher had 4 small pin holes in the corners, obviously displayed on a wall. I regret having to sell but my Beatles have always helped me pay the rent!

13. rstammer

rstammer Forum Resident

Great posts. At the age of 16 in 1965, my friend showed up at my door brandishing what I thought was a new Beatles record. I freaked out at first and then he explained that he had purchased a copy of Y&T and noticed something underneath. He steamed the cover off and Voila! We then went to Two Guys Dept. strore in Glen Burnie, Maryland and I purchased another Y&T that appeared to have the Burcher cover underneath. We went back home and steamed it off with a tea kettle. We were pretty successfull, given our low-tech efforts in 1965. I kept the album in a protective cover all these years until this day where I now have it framed under 95% free UV glass. It is a constant source of pleasure for me and fun explaining to guests who are not familiar with the cover.

14. I found my 2nd state mono that is now a 3rd state in my wifes old record collection. About 40-50 trashed records that I was weeding out of my collection. About 8 or 9 totally trashed Beatles albums she used to buy at Montgomery Ward's when she was a kid. The Y&T record was totally trashed but the cover was actually in good shape. I peeled in the bathroom with a little steam a careful peeling with a credit card and now I have a freebie that I almost threw in the trash. I have it framed and hanging over my 2000+ lp collection. Thanks again Michele

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

For those who want to acquire a 2nd state cover here's a beautiful example - just a snip at $3000....:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beatles-Yeste...ryZ27344QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seriously - would anyone pay that much?!

Anyway, it's a great scan - see the "V" of Ringo's dark top clearly showing through (for those who don't know where it is - look at Ringo's hand and then look over to the right at the same height in the blank white area). In fact, in this picture of the paste-over cover you can even see Ringo's face and hair, and his dark trousers under his Butcher apron showing through amazingly clearly!:

Attached Files:

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I encountered my second-state mono copy in June of 66, rummaging thru the LP's at Woolworths. I'm not quite sure how I had heard about the paste-over at that point, but there it was. I'm thinking it was summer of 68 or so before I attempted to remove newer slick, and with a combination of a hot, damp washcloth and patience, was able to achieve a pretty good recovery of the original image.

Only a small 1/8" square area of the textured gray background was damaged past the finish, and the resulting peel job was / is very satisying, just about as nice a mono third-state as one would imagine. A good buddy of mine was not so lucky on his - apparently the difference in glue used for the paste-over.

(I'd post a snapshot, but I have my original US/UK Beatles LP's in storage right now.)

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

18. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Mal,

That's exactly how mine looks! My trunk cover extends to the bottom edge of the jacket and you can see the airbrush go beyond the photo (to make sure the Butcher cover is obscured). Never peeled it off and won't! Cover and jacket are in pretty nice shape. Paid $100 for it about 15 years ago. Replaced the record for a VG+ copy (with same label).

19. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Years ago, I bought a copy of Yesterday and Today from a second hand store in Lansing Michigan. I had owned it for a couple of years when, one day, I was talking with a DJ at the radio station I was working at, and he told me to check my copy to see if a black "V" could be seen through the cover. That night I went home and sure enough, there was the black V!

I filled a cake pan with water and put it on the stove. When it started really boiling and putting off steam, I held the album in the steam and very slowly peeled off the cover. I ended up with a 99% clean Butcher cover.

Not bad for a $1, which is what I paid at the second hand store for the album.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com home of The Pink Floyd Discographies Page

20. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

I was 14 when the record came out, and would call Krill Records in Upper Darby, PA, each day after school to see if the new record had come out. When the Y&T album didn't come out when it should have and I read about it in the newspaper, I asked Mrs. Krill if I could have the promo poster. She gave it to me and I proceeded to butcher it by cutting ang gluing it to fit into a frame I had in my room, but I loved having it up for years. Lost it in life's shuffles but eventually got a nice copy of the poster and a stereo third state, but had to pay dearly for it.

21. Hey I went for the poster. Too pricey for me as a kid and too pricey for me as an adult. My teenage self could have afforded it but I was too busy spending my money on girls, girls and movies. In that order.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks for that. This is the first time I've seen a paste-over where I've been able to detect that "V". I couldn't find it in any of the others, but now that I know what to look for, I should be better at it... :righton:

23. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Mine came in used at the local record store I was working at in the 1990s.
    I don't know how much the seller was paid for his collection, but it wasn't that much, and I got it very cheap, maybe 10-20 bucks? It's a second state, with Ringo's smoak very visable. I haven't touched it since...

...and that was ten years ago...

cheers,

24. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Got mine about 15 years ago from a friend from Boston who got it from a guy in California 3rd state, good peel, just a cut around George's cheek and filled in so its hard to tell from about 4 feet away. Paid $425 which was a bit high, but I asked for pictures first to see. From 4 feet away its hard to tell its not a first state.

sean

25. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Score indeed! What a GREAT memory, Steve!!! I am thankful to have a Dad like that too (actually it's because of him that I am a vinyl junkie - that was our father and son gig: going to the late night record shops on Yonge Street in Toronto).

THIS is why I wish I had grown up in the sixties! lol! My claim to fame is that I was born the day before Rubber Soul came out in the UK...what a birthday present!!!

I have never been so lucky as to stumble onto one, and at this point I don't think I ever will. I will have to be the poor sap who pays big bucks for a crummy (i.e. in bad shape) copy.

I remember reading about the cover for the first time in the Nicholas Schaffer (sp) book on the Beatles. I remember it was one of the first really beautiful hard cover books with colour photos of some collectible items (ahhh the picture single section was what I drooled over...).

If anyone wants to part with one, you know where to find me (I have always been partial to the stereo copy) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.