How's your luck been in the used bins lately? (pt9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Goodwill store for .99 cents:
    Sandy Nelson - THE "IN" BEAT
    (mono - groovy instrumentals of pop hits from 1964-66)

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Today I got: Rush - Grace Under Pressure (1984)

I noticed THEY DID NOT COMPROMISE THIS ALBUM DIGITALLY which is why I got it and I think its an interesting read here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Under_Pressure_(Rush_album)

QUITE ENCOURAGING -- GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!! -- They had digitally compromised that album and the one before it MOVING PICTURES,both of which didnt sound good...

Im glad they actually LISTENEND TO THEM and saw they sounded bad!! (Rush is a good band,one of the BEST of the 70s and 80s)

I originally thought when I saw they had compromised MOVING PICTURES (1981) that all albums AFTER MOVING PICTURES were also compromised...... IM GLAD THEY ARENT!! (They were excellent thru the 80s)

Sean and xdawg like this.
  4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I can hardly believe that I started this thread, and that it's lasted this long.

My luck last weekend was great. I'll post the details later, but I know for sure I found two classical Japan first pressings in mint condition. Around five bux each...

rcsrich likes this.
  5. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I was out of town and I visited a record store that I've never been to. I had a great experience! Every record store in my area is decent, but the problem is that it's rare to find anything remotely popular. Awhile back, I was looking everywhere for Highway 61 Revisted, Blood On The Tracks, etc, but my area only has Slow Train Coming or Planet Waves and such. I eventually got all the Dylan titles I wanted online, but my point is that all the record stores I go to never have the great titles that I want. But today was not one of those days. The record store I visited had one of the best selections I have ever seen. So much good stuff that I could have gotten, but I didn't want to kill my wallet. I mainly decided to build my Brian Eno collection. Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

Brian Eno - Another Green World (UK Polydor release) $10: I've never heard this album, but after I got it today, I cannot stop spinning it. Fantastic album; I especially love St. Elmo's Fire and The Big Ship. The cover is in pretty bad shape, and the spine is obliterated, but the record itself is near mint.

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music For Airports (US PVC release) $10: One of my favorite ambient albums; ecstatic to find it in fantastic shape for a great price! This is probably my favorite ambient album of his, but I also love The Pearl.

Brian Eno/David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (Original Sire release) $10: Considering that I am a huge fan of both artists, I decided to pick this up (fantastic shape). Very bizarre album, and it surprisingly sounds pretty modern. This includes the "controversial" Qu'ran track that was taken off in future pressings.

Brain Eno/Harold Budd - Ambient 2: Plateux Of Mirror (Editions EG reissue) $15: As I mentioned earlier, I love the Eno/Budd album The Pearl, so picking this album up was obvious. It's a good album, but I don't like it as much as Eno's other ambient albums.

David Bowie - "Heroes" (Original RCA release) $10: Heroes is one of my favorite Bowie songs, but I haven't heard anything else off this album. Will give it a listen tomorrow! I find it to be difficult to see late 70s Bowie albums in the wild. I'm waiting for the day where I can find Low.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow (Original RCA stereo release) $5: From what I've heard, I'm not a huge Jefferson Airplane fan. The record isn't in great shape, but for $5, how could I ignore such a historic album?

One of my better record store visits. I'm pretty happy. :)

PS: Do gold stamped promo records affect the value of an album? The Eno/Byrne one has a "LOANED FOR PROMOTION ONLY" stamp on it.

6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Found a few records in my area....

The Worst of Jefferson Airplane
    The Doors-The Soft Parade
    Steve Miller Band-The Joker
    Faces-Long Player
    Beck, Bogart and Appice
    Joe Cocker-Mad Dogs and Englishmen
    Spencer Davis Group-Gluggo
    Dave Mason-Alone Together
    Crosby Stills and Nash
    Graham Nash and David Crosby
    King Criminson-In the Wake of Poseidon
    Earth Wind and Fire-All N' All

All are VG and the originals. Total: $6

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I seen some interesting but overall average cds at F.Y.E. all sealed in plastic.If it was something I really needed I would have picked it right up.Probably 30% of my cds at least were bought at an F.Y.E.and mostly they are all scratched up,so I`ll try again soon.:yawn:

8. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Not much that's of interest to anyone but me this week, but I'll post just to keep up with the new thread.

All are on CD:
    Andy Gibb - Greatest Hits (UK Polydor)
    Michael Jackson - "Scream" CD single (UK)
    Moby - "South Side" CD single (this one has seven tracks, first one I've ever seen)

xdawg likes this.
  9. kman

kman Forum Resident

Original pressing of the who qaudraphenia without booklet for $6 and it's very clean sounding

rcsrich, hominy and xdawg like this.
  10. kman

kman Forum Resident

Love forever changes 2001 rhino cd for 99 cents

11. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

T Lavitz Storytime LP $2 mint condition.

xdawg likes this.
  12. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Made the rounds this morning and picked up about 30 records. After almost crapping my pants last week, I brought a change of clothes this week. And lucky I did. I couldn't believe what I found thumbing through a crate of records. Ya gotta love those Englishmen who move to America and bring their records with them. Oddly, he had very few English pressings but the two he had: Wow! Yes, the turquoise Led Zeppelin 1 (588174 A//1 B//1) and as if it couldn't get any better, the vinyl is in gorgeous condition.

And Electric Ladyland on Track which I'm guessing is an original UK 1st press, with "ERNEST. J. DAY, LONDON" and blue text inside the gatefold. And, again, beautiful condition to boot. Never thought I'd see these in America. Other then a copy of Yes' Time And A Word, these were the only UK pressings he had. The rest were US pressings.

[​IMG]

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood - early CD pressing
    Yes - Tales from Topographic - 2xLP
    Jeff Beck - Truth/Beck o La - 2xLP twofer

xdawg likes this.
  14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yesterday I picked up used copies of Phish's `Ventura' (looked brand
    new) as well as Iain Matthews' live CD `Nights In Manhattan'. The
    latter disc I had never even heard of - it wasn't until I got home that
    I discovered it had been mastered by one Steve Hoffman.

xdawg, SquaRoots and Mark B. like this.
  15. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Found these CDs today for a buck each:
    Stones-Hot Rocks(2CD)
    Beatles-Sgt Peppers
    Daniel Johnston- Late Great Daniel Johnston (2CD)
    Joni Mitchell-Turbulent Indigo
    Lorde- Pure Heroine

xdawg likes this.
  16. Big Jerry's haul as I head into vacation time...
    [​IMG]

17. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I had never heard that live Iain Matthews until I came upon a copy at a thrift store a few months ago. A very nice listen it is. He's been on my radar since the Stealing Home/"Shake It" days, so I'm always glad to find something by him that's new to me.

18. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Patti Smith - great! What's the telescope one? (I see the other space related ones)

19. That's Esquivel - Exploring New Sounds in Stereo.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I got 2 records today :)

1) Cat Stevens - Teaser and the firecat
    2) Frank Sinatra - Moonlight Sinatra (This one is in mono)

xdawg and Dan Steely like this.
  21. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Wow is right!! Nice haul, congrats!

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

That's a stunner.Haven't found anything like this since the 90s.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Trip to Glasgow

The Police - Synchronicity (A&M master plus 393 735-2)
    The Police - Ghost in the Machine (A&M master plus 393 730-2)
    The Police - Reggatta de Blanc (A&M master plus 394 792-2)
    Kevin Ayers - Bananamour (2003 remaster 07243-582780-2-6)

The Police CDs were £1.99 each. Kevin Ayers £2.99.

They had American Music Club's Everclear CD for £1.99, but I left it because I already had a copy.

Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon (2003 Hybrid SACD 7243 582136 2 1)
    King Crimson Islands (30th Anniversary Edition CDVKC4 | 7243 8 44069 2 9)
    Brian Eno Before and After Science (Virgin EGCD | 0777 7 87186 2 8)

3 CDs for £10. Left The Who's Who's Next (Polydor 813 651-2 silver to center) as it was rather beat up.

HiFi Guy 008 and xdawg like this.
  24. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Don't usually post my finds here but I've had a productive week scouring the bins
    [​IMG]
    The big 4 were:
    Beatles - White Album 1976 Japanese pressing
    Pink Floyd -Animals Aussie pressing
    Cream - Disraeli Gears Aussie pressing
    Budgie - Bandolier
    Some of the others are quite nice too but not as special

25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Amoeba LA got me - Jethro Tull 20 years Box Set CD for $20 !
    Peter Green Box Set $25
    Josh Rouse - 1972 (2 disc with DVD) $2

Many more".........

Long Live Analog and xdawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.