How's your luck been in the used bins lately? (pt9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Cool, how do you bring those back to the US? In your carry on?

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Just scored a single layer SACD of Kind of Blue for $5.99. No slip cover, so they thought it was the plain old CD. Stereo + multi. Love it when things like this happen. :)

ricks, xdawg, Cardanken and 2 others like this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is that a CD single or an alternate cover? Either way I have never seen that before.

4. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, that is what I am thinking, I have 27 records bought in the first month of three months. Thinking I will be very selective from here on out and put these in a backpack or bag and carry them on.

5. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Went yard-saling yesterday and picked up two milk crates full of LPs for $50. I went through it at the sale and it had a fair amount of 80s bands in very nice condition- Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Paul Young,Phil Collins, Bryan Ferry, Miami Vice soundtrack, Thompson Twins, many Canadian bands from the time that I was too snobby about back then to buy like Fist, Toronto, Goddo, Rush and Honeymoon Suite. I figured I could pick a few out of the 120 LPs and whatever I didn't need could go to my sister who has just gotten back into vinyl (and was a teenager in the 80s- these were right up her alley!). Once I got home, I looked a little more closely and was very happy to find a mid-70s UK copy of Syd Barrett's "Barrett". It really didn't fit with the rest of the collection but it fits great in mine! I only have the album in a Canadian copy of the "The Madcap Laughs/ Barrett" 2-fer, and have long wanted an original. Other than a scratch that can be heard for the first 10 revolutions of "Baby Lemonade", it sounds nice and clean. Worth the price of the two crates for the one record to me. A very nice find!

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My neighbor gave me these this afternoon.

[​IMG]

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Just two records today...

John Coltrane-Ascension (V.2, Stereo)
    Led Zeppelin-IV (First Issue UK plum, A//3, B//3, 6th Variation, Rare Zoso, practically un-played)

xdawg, Slick Willie and LeeS like this.
  8. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Goodwill buys lately: Bonnie Raitt-Road Tested, Bruce Hornsby- Here Comes the Noisemakers, Johnny Cash American Recording I and IV, Police Live, Don Henley's last album , Moby Grape live comp on Sundazed at Plan 9 Music

xdawg and JimC like this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Saw a copy of the United Artists '74 Italian original pressing of "The Long Hello" [VDGG -Hammill] on eBay for $35. A day or two later I got a e-mail that the seller was having a one day half-price sale plus the listing had a "make offer" option so I offered $12 and won. Got it today. Still in shrink with both inserts and dead mint.

xdawg likes this.
  10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Highlights from a weekend shop visit. Found a bunch of other early classical the best of which are listed below.

Doobie Brothers - Best of The Doobies - WG Target

Michael Franks - The Art Of Tea - WG Target - Ralph mentions this one is "very scarce"on his site, but from what I see very low demand. Also he seems to have a hatred of the material. Never heard of the artist myself.

Previn, Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 - Phillips WG Blue Face 400 090-2 - figured I would have found more blue face classical over the years but this is my first "in the wild".

Stern 60th Anniversary - Sony/CBS CSR Compact Disc 3X 38DC-21 matrix

Technics Sampler CDS-001 - Telarc Classical Sampler - "Not For Sale" printed on CD, Matsushita Japan for US - very cool item for an early Japan pressed Telarc CD collector like myself.

Enoch Light & The Light Brigade - The Big Bands of the Thirties - Sony/CBS CSR Compact Disc 3X [not pictured]

All were .99 to $4.99 [Stern].

[​IMG]

Yardbird, LeeS, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  11. It is an alternate cover.

The Hud likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

RUSH "Signals" MFSL CD for $20

LeeS, Slick Willie, xdawg and 2 others like this.
  13. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I rue the day back in the early 00's that I saw this for sale (still in wrapper) at a mall music store that was going out of business. Everything was 75% off and there really wasn't much stock left. This going for $8 and I decided to pass since I already had the regular CD and I didn't won't to stand in the register line for only one item. I've learned a lot since then! :)shake: sigh!)

Dan Steely likes this.
  14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Dylan & The Dead. Not sure if that's good or bad luck but hey, I figured, I should finish my Dylan collection on record.

xdawg and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd never heard of Michael Franks until I started to collect targets either. It's tough to find - and I agree with Ralph that it's terrible! Might be the second crummiest target I own in terms of the quality of the music...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Wow! Guess someone apparently liked it for WEA to issue it when pressing time was at a premium.

The name, not the actual person, Michael Franks, is probably well known as an NCIS character.

17. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

This weekend's selections. The one, two and three dollar purchases:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jerry James, xdawg and hominy like this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Someone still likes him because he has an Original Album Series boxset.

Apparently, there's a Belgian singer Frank Michael who I fear might be even worse. He also has an Original Album Series boxset. Warner appears to be milking the series for all its worth.

19. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Yesterday in St. Andrews, the home of gol...er Southside Records -

Trans Global Underground - Dream Of 100 Nations.
    Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming And Get On The Beam.
    King Crimson - Beat

All LP's for the princely sum of £13.00 :)

xdawg likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

it sounds awful, you didn't miss out on anything seriously ;)

Dan Steely and xdawg like this.
  21. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Couple of CDs from Goodwill, since it was senior discount day:

Soundtrack to Clay Pigeons (well, it's got tracks by Lyle Lovett and Tonio K., so why not?)
    Barry Manilow - CD single of "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" Dance Mixes. Stop laughing. It also has two mixes of "Could It Be Magic" produced by Trevor Horn. That alone makes it worth risking 75 cents. Plus, the cheapest one on Amazon is more than $17. Again, why the heck not?

xdawg and superstar19 like this.
  22. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Braw!

23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

But the best track on it is "1229 Sheffield" by the Verve Pipe. :)

xdawg and Mark B. like this.
  24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I had purchased 2 used CDs just before I left home on business:
    1. James Gang Thirds, 1993 Japanese cd release on MCA, WMC5-285, and
    2. Humble Pie Eat It, 1995 Japanese cd release on A&M, POCM-1889.
    Won't have the chance to listen to them for a few more weeks.

Dan Steely and xdawg like this.
  25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Donovan, Fairy Tale, UK Pie pressing
    Tower of Power, In the Slot, Japan CD

hominy, Dan Steely and xdawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.