Huge plot holes in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Option 2 is definitely out, since the trip TO the beer was part of the 28 hours. They arrived "one hour ahead of schedule" TO the beer. The place of business was not yet open - so they broke in and took 400 cases of Coors. Big Enos may have been informed, since Snowman left a note that said "Send bill to Big Enos B" - he stopped because he didn't know how to spell Burdette. At least he could spell his FIRST name! In Smokey 3 the writers spelled it "Enis", and appeared to somehow believe it was their LAST name.

Option 1 is pretty flimsy too. Why trust a guy named "Bandit" to start your $80,000 challenge on the honor system? Even flimsier is the entire notion of getting a car to "block" for the truck. Bandit claims that Atlanta to Texarkana is an 1800 mile round trip. It's really just over 1300 miles, and with 28 hours to make it, Bandit could have left the truck rodeo in his own rig, forgotten about the Snowman entirely, averaged 55 mph, and made it with plenty of time to spare. But then we'd hardly have a movie, huh? :)

EDIT: They also could not have returned to Atlanta in daylight - the math doesn't add up.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    GLENN likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yup. He was "going to get that girl and set everything straight".

In the original script there was no Junior, and we found out at the end that Carrie/Frog was Buford's daughter. This bit was reused in the script for Smokey 3, where "The Bandit"'s companion in the car turned out to be Big Enos's daughter (and Little Enos's sister). The plot point was dropped entirely in the editing process.

3. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Stagecoach (1939) has the stagecoach under an Indian attack with the Apaches never doing the obvious thing: shoot the horses. John Ford said they were after the horses; not the passengers or cargo (he also noted it would have ended the movie prematurely if they did) but it seems a lot of Apaches are killed trying to get eight horses

4. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Heist movies where they seem to spend hundreds of thousands to steal a few million.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

There are so many Elseworlds* stories that would be interesting to see on the big screen though it would be unlikely. One I liked is Superman, Last Son Of Earth. In this story, astrophysicist Jonathan Kent discovers that massive asteroid is going to strike the Earth with enough force to kill everyone on the planet, so he builds a space ship to send his son into space to survive the impact. However, the ship gets taken off course (it was just supposed to orbit the planet and then return) and ends up on Krypton. The child is adopted by Jor-El, who uses his technology to overcome his handicaps (such giving him an exoskelton to compensate for his physical weakness).

*Elseworlds is a DC Comics imprint for stories that don't fit into the regular continuity. The only consistent thing about an Elseworlds title is that there will be at least one character who is recognizable as based on a DC Comics character (as an example, in JLA: Shogun Of Steel there is a female ninja who uses a bat as her symbol). Other than that, the story can take place at any place and at any time (JLA: Shogun Of Steel takes place in 14th Century Japan).

ShardEnder likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

As far as why trust Bandit, honor is the key. If the word got out that The Bandit didn't live up to his word, it is likely that he wouldn't receive any more financially lucrative challenges.

I guess I will need to watch the movie again. I saw the movie when it was released, when it was the Number 1 movie in the country...until a little movie named Star Wars showed up.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's an interesting moment in the movie Die Hard where Hans Gruber mentions it took him two years of planning and over a million dollars to set up this heist, but their intent is to get hundreds of millions of dollars in bearer bonds... so that's not a bad business investment. I think Die Hard is the template on how to do action/adventure movies very well, with very few plot holes.

I have read both original scripts and I don't remember any time travel in either of them. This was a cheap added gimmick done just so that they could have a third act that was filmmable, even though it didn't make a lot of sense.

You want a movie with a bad third act with giant plot holes, try to watch Total Recall. Good god, that's a bad film. Who the hell would construct a huge building complex on Mars with giant plate glass windows that could blow out and kill everybody there due to lack of oxygen?

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

People that wanted the Martian landscape to be visible?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's possible that Superman went back far enough in time to stop the missiles from being launched.

An interesting question this scene raises is if Superman flies around the Earth to turn back time, isn't he unaffected by the time reversal? If so, wouldn't there be two Supermen on Earth at that point? Hmmm. If that is the case, Superman could just keep reversing time and creating more Supermen. He could create an army of Supermen. That would have been a cute little plot twist for the second film. Superman is fight the trio of supervillians, and a couple of his fellow Supermen show up to even the odds.

This also raises the question of why Superman would bother racing off somewhere to fight crime. He could just read the newspaper to find out what crimes have taken place and reverse time to stop them before they happen.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    ShardEnder likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Black Hole?

11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Hey, it makes as much (if not more) sense than the remake from 2012, which has Colin Farrell living on the opposite side of the planet to his workplace and travelling to work every day through the Earth's core from the UK to Australia/China.

Even as I was watching the film I was thinking about who would pay for such a tunnel, and why you'd even want to do it. It seems, you know, kind of dumb and expensive!

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In theory they could distill plants/fruits and make alcohol which would give them some sort of fuel, or there could have been a recent plane/boat washed up, the really big problem is how they got so many helicopters to take off from a relatively small cargo ship, they'd need at least a helicopter carrier, if not a full sized aircraft carrier, plus from memory they only show the Hueys on deck and taking off, the other helicopters, Sea Stallion and something else I forget, a Puma? just appear. Actually then there's the whole thing where not one of the pilots thinks it's a good idea to gain some height and stay out of Kong's range, no, let's fly close to the giant gorilla that's killing all our friends.

rjp likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Elon Musk?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And very, very hot.

15. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

The biggest plot hole that I came across in a movie was in STAR TREK from 2009. The whole movie is a giant plot hole, allthough I find it enormously entertaining. After a supernova wiped out the whole Romulan race including his family, NERO the last survivor and his giant, technically advanced mining space ship, finds a worm hole that takes him back several hundred years in time. Now this is what I would do in NEROs situation: Fly to Romolus, warn my people so that they start a plan for the evacuation and the survival of the whole romulan race. There is plenty of time left to save all the people and prevent this tragedy and the death of my family. But NERO has a way more clever plan. Revenge. He wants to destroy Vulcan and Spock, because Spock and the Federation were too late to save Romolus in the future?! The whole catastrophe did not even took place....for many years to come. But the movie was fun to watch, and only afterwards I started scatching my head to get around NEROs unreasonable motivation for revenge.

Vidiot and Pete Puma like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I admit this isn't a "huge plot hole", but it's something that always bugged me:

In "Toy Story 2", we're told that Woody is a super-rare collectible who completes a set with other toys from "Woody's Round-Up".

In reality, the manufacturers would've made many more Woody dolls than any of the rest. Almost certainly, the Prospector would've been hardest to find because they would've made fewer.

Yeah, the movie tells us the Prospector ended up on a discount store shelf, which is probably would would have happened, but it's those "unloved" characters who are later toughest to find for collectors.

Maybe Al got Prospector at the discount store circa 1960, but that seems unlikely - it feels as thought we're supposed to accept Al found Prospector in the bargain bin decades later.

Anyway, Woody dolls would've been the most common of the bunch, so the entire notion he's super-rare doesn't make sense...

LEONPROFF likes this.
  17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Isn't Woody supposed to be a one-off prototype?

18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Not a plot hole, but I have wondered, is there anywhere to sleep in the Millennium Falcon? Do you have to lie down in the central space where the chess game is? Is there more than one bunk there? Is there a kitchen? I assume there's Star Wars product out there that has the answers.

San likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not that I recall. Al's comments when he finds Woody:

"Original hand-painted face. Natural-dyed, blanket-stitched vest! Hmm. A little rip. Fixable. Oh, if only you had your hand-stitched, polyvinyl hat!"

No mention of Woody being a prototype or unique in any way, and I recall no other claims of that sort.

It seems clear Al owns no Woody doll at all, and since the other dolls are clearly just "regular retail", there's no reason Al would've had to wait for a one-of-a-kind Woody to complete the set...

20. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

It seems like that's a standard plot hole in every western!

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Describe how that is a plot hole.

22. Solitaire1

Considering its size, it is likely that there are many cabins for crew members thoughout the ship, or maybe in two or three places in the ship. Another possibility is that there are murphy-type beds in the ship, beds that can be pulled down and used when needed, then stowed away.

A related example in in Doctor Who. The TARDIS is described as being bigger on the inside than the outside, but in one Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) story, The Doctor and Sarah walk through the TARDIS. They go through large room after large room after large room.

23. Squealy

Considering its size? It's quite small, and there seems to only be one level.

I don't know how this could possibly be related!

24. Squealy

25. Solitaire1

This reminds me of an episode of Sealab 2021:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.