Hulu adding five classic TGIF sitcoms September 29th.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Wow! Just saw the announcement for Family Matters and was wondering if the others will follow. I only bought season one of Family Matters, and I just took out Perfect Strangers so I could take it back to school. I'll definitely be watching those two, along with Step by Step and Hangin' with Mr. Cooper. Eventually, anyway. :p I'll probably prioritize the last three, since I haven't seen them countless times like Family Matters and Full House. Hulu continues to best Netflix when it comes to TV streaming.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  3. AKA

What I'm looking forward to is Perfect Strangers. I loved that show growing up. The other shows I won't bother with, but I'm happy for the people who like those shows.

905, MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IMHO, all these shows did not age well. Even back then, they were rather cheesy. Now,... oh boy.

Jackson, MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All the film shows like Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, and a few others are all in the process of being remastered to HD, so this will be the first time they've really looked good. I think the jury is still out on whether they'll be 4x3 or 16x9.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Where are the other shows such as Dinosaurs?

7. OldSoul

Well, "TGIF," in this case, seems to be referring to the Miller-Boyett, Jeff Franklin family of shows owned by Warner Bros. Dinosaurs was part of the lineup, but made other by people. Buena Vista owns it, if the old DVDs are an indication (something could've changed since).

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Man, those theme songs put a smile on the face.

905, OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

Weren't there others shows owned by Buena Vista in the lineup?

10. MikaelaArsenault

Especially the Full House and Family Matters ones.

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

Full House is on every night on Nick. My little kids watch it family Matters is on quite a bit too. I never see Perfect Strangers or Step by Step anymore.

12. OldSoul

Pretty sure these aren't HD. At least not the first two seasons of Perfect Strangers that were already on DVD. Still looks good though. I would buy it was remastered in HD, but I don't think that's how it's being presented.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. OldSoul

They actually have put up Boy Meets Word, Home Improvement, Dinosaurs, and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.

905 likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

Dinosaurs got put up after all?!

OldSoul likes this.
  15. OldSoul

Yep!

16. AKA

I don't know; Perfect Strangers and Family Matters on Hulu both look HD to me.

17. OldSoul

They look good from a distance, which makes me think they were remasted in HD, but if you get close, they look SD. Hulu also would say it's an HD stream, I think, which it doesn't.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Trust me, it is being remastered to HD right now. I only know because I interviewed for the job 5 months ago. I tend to doubt that it's going to be available for some time, because the project will take at least a year to do.

19. OldSoul

I know they're being remastered, I'm just saying these didn't look like the remasters yet.

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't often keep a regular subscription to Hulu, only snagging for a month at a time here and there, but I noticed when flipping on its recommendation of "Family Matters" that the episode I picked (I think it was maybe Season Four or so?) seemed to actually be in HD. I didn't know Warner Bros. was actually going to back to these types of sitcoms (sitcoms that in some cases took eons to come out on DVD, if they ever did at all in full) that were shot on film and really rescanning in HD. But, mind blown a tiny bit (not because of the show, but just from a business standpoint) that I actually saw Steve Urkel from 1991 rescanned in HD.

It was definitely HD, because like many such HD reconstructions, there were a few minor "special effects" shots where it clearly just spliced back to the old SD videotape source. Jarring, but also a very good and easy way to A/B the SD and HD footage.

21. They send me running to another room. I disliked all these shows.

driverdrummer, The Panda and pdenny like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.