Hulu - Castle Rock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mynameistaken, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just recently subscribed to Hulu and didn’t notice any threads for this show. Castle Rock is a ten episode J.J. Abrams production based on works by Stephen King. The first three episodes will premiere on July 25th and the remaining 7 episodes will be released weekly. Very curious to see how they weave everything together.

2. mynameistaken

The first three episodes dropped today. I planned on only watching the first episode, but ended up watching all three. Shawshank plays a key role in the series. So far I am very impressed and can't wait for more episodes.

3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one :cool:

mynameistaken likes this.
  4. mynameistaken

I’ve read several King books, but I forget tiny details so I’m sure there are several Easter eggs that I missed in the first three episodes. I can a possible connection with Storm of the Century.

5. Pretty well written and a nice complex series of characters, plot, etc. I will stick around and watch it.

6. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

How's this on the psyche? My 9yo son (almost 10) has expressed interest. He's seen the Shining, Stand By Me, and Stranger Things. I care more about content and terror intensity than rating. In other words, Twilight Zone...cool; Chuckie...not cool. Thanks.

7. mynameistaken

I would say in terms of content and intensity, this probably falls in line with other Stephen King mini-series (Storm of the Century, Rose Red, IT, etc). The writing is high quality and doesn't have the cheese factor that sometimes popped up in some mini-series. So far, I only recall 2 scenes that might be intense for a 9 year old, but based on what he's seen it should be fine.
    In the first episode a character commits suicide and ends up decapitating himself. Though this is shown off screen its still intense. The other scene is a character digs up their dead dog to verify its still dead, and the dog is partially decomposed. Neither is graphically as bad as what happens to poor Bob in Stranger Things.

8. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Cool, thank you for the info and spoiler for a description. Much appreciated.

9. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Thomas Newman composed the theme.

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Excellent first couple of episodes. Much better then I expected. A lot of actors from other high quality shows in this. When it first started, I said I didn't know Terry O'Quinn was in this. A couple of minutes later I said, oh...

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm 2 episodes in, and I ain't diggin' it. It's lame so far: everything is dragged out, the characters are weak, and they're trying much too hard to keep the mysteries hidden. I think it's slow, plodding, and forced. I'll try one more episode, then I'm throwin' in the towel. I smell the stench of Under the Dumb and The Mist on this thing.

12. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I’m watching it at the request of the wife, otherwise I’d skip it for something better. Mediocre at best.

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

episode 7 - Sissy Spacek, WOW!!!

14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Ep 7 was a tough watch - disturbing & disorienting - and I agree, Sissy was amazing.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

Eight episodes in and I really like it so far. I agree they are pretty stingy with clues to the mystery. They let out just enough to keep me watching. I just hope there isn't a big reveal at the end that is lame and makes me regret watching it .

16. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I got up to episode 6 but I find it I increasingly hokey. I shut it off about 3/4 through. Probably won't return. Started off pretty good but all the supernatural stuff is ruining it IMHO.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ditto. People walking around pointlessly for a two minutes to stir up a lame jump scare. Lots of pointless action, where's the story and characters -- King's strong point? Two episodes and out.

snowman872 likes this.
  18. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

`Castle Rock' started off well enough but has become nonsensical at this point (imo). Jane
    Levy, however, is enough to keep me watching!

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It doesn't get any better! I gave up after the 4th episode.

20. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

Is anyone else still watching this? Episode 9 was certainly interesting. Is this season supposed to conclude itself or are there plans for the story to continue in season 2? Just trying to prepare myself for a possible cliffhanger .

21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, still watching and enjoying.

BrentR79 likes this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yep, still watching, but if ep. 9 hadn't been as good as it was, I was on the cusp of bailing. The series started out with so much potential, but the glacial pace of the last 4 or so episodes started to sour me.

Now, I'm interested again.

BrentR79 and snowman872 like this.
  23. I am done with Episode 7 as of last night. So far I have enjoyed the series - I am an old school King fan and this series feels familiar without feeling too contrived. Episode 7 was interesting because it borrows some ideas from a lot of older films and frames them differently for the streaming generation. Not too certain where the show will go at this point... there are lots of ideas and plot points to explore but I will definitely keep watching!

24. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

This show is pretty uneven. I really enjoyed some episodes, but others were kind of weak. The penultimate episode was great, and it would have been an excellent direction for the story to go in. The ending was kind of a cop out, IMHO.

marmalade166 likes this.
  25. I felt the conclusion petered out a bit but I loved how episode eight set up a very different interpretation about who and what the kid could be (I don’t believe he is mind you) but interesting none the less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.