Hum/Buzz on your Rega P6 or P3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kazu, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazu

kazu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello...

I am a RP6 user. My RP6 is modified with GT sub-platter, Heavier counter weight and Nagaoka MP500 cartridge. I have already known about Hum/Buzz that is caused by TTPSU and moter. Of course I have tried that TTPSU's GND connect to the earth on my phonostage. However, Hum/Buzz from my speakers was not disappeared completely. I found a good place on the plinth for earthing after I done try and error. (Please look at Pic)

I have one question to Rega P6/P3 users with GT sub-platter and other cartridge(i.e. excepting Rega cartridge)!!!

I plan to replace/upgrade my RP6 to Rega P6 or P3.
    Do you have any experiences about Hum/Buzz on your P6 or P3???

Best Regards,
    Kazu

[​IMG]by Kazu Susumna, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I have a dead silent RP6, all the same modifications as yours (and a few more), that used to hum like a bee. The key with an RP6 and its TTPSU is to position both units away from amps and speakers and power strips, and to also ensure that the TTPSU is at least 2’ away (2’ below or 2’ to one side or the other) from the RP6. Once you’ve done that and your modified RP6 is silent (and mine has been dead silent - no exceptions - since I made the positioning changes), you may not want to sell it. The only other upgrade I’d then recommend is a really good moving coil cartridge like the Dynavector Karat 17D3. The RB303 tonearm can certainly handle such a cartridge beautifully. The musical results are wonderful.

You don’t mention what phono preamp you’re using. Some preamps are a better match for Rega’s wiring than others. That said, since separating things effectively I’ve successfully used a Whest Two, Trichord Diablo, Graham Slee Revelation M and the matching Graham Slee Elevator SUT, a Graham Slee Gram Amp (when the Rega Exact cartridge was still installed), EAR 88PB, and a couple of others I can’t remember as I post this. No hum, no buzz, nothing except a black background.

3. kazu

Hello Agitater-San,

Thank you very much for your comment! It's very helpful for me. Thank you again!
    I will bought a longer length cable for TTPSU by Rega (2m). Also I will try to find a good place for TTPSU without BUZZ/Hum.
    Just IMO, I think that the Hum/Buzz that is caused by GT sub-platter! The GT sub-platter become an Antenna for RFI.
    When I touch the top of GT's spindle during spinning my platter, they disappeared completely...;)

Anyway, my phono-preamp is FONO MM MKII by Rega. I am planing to upgrade it to iPhone2.
    Do you have any information about iPhone2.

Thanks.

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The GT subplatter cannot act as an antenna of any kind. There is a fault somewhere in your electrical connections, most likely the power connection to the TTPSU. Touching the spindle merely creates a ground plane, which can also happen with the regular metal spindle on the Rega subplatter when there is an electrical fault.

If you are plugging your TTPSU into some sort of power conditioner or surge protector, trying plugging the TTPSU into an outlet of its own instead to see if the hum goes away.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. kazu

Hello Agitater-San and all,

Thank you for your reply ;)
    I never used any power conditioners or surge protectors with Rega PS1 (Rega wall plug power supply)
    Please let me know farther informations/solutions to solved this problems?

Best Regards,
    Kazu

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Is it possible that your RP6 phono cable is lying next to a power cable for another component? If so, separate the two cables by half a metre or more (which usually means re-routing the offending power cable).

The power supply and grounding for your phono preamp is also important. Check to ensure that its power supply is properly grounded/earthed. If you are using a separate phono preamp, it is also prudent to place it at least half a metre from the RP6. Ensure that its interconnect to your main preamp or integrated amp or receiver is not lying next to any power cables.

7. kazu

Thank you Agitater for advice a lot...
    Unfortunately, I tried what you taught me, but I have not improved it.

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Rega turntables can sometimes be a headache. It’s a shame, really. Sorry to hear you're still having a problem.

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. kazu

Thank you Agitater!
    Anyway, I really like REGA. REGA has the most alive sound, the sound by REGA is emotive! JUST IMO.

Regarding Hum, I feel that three Air conditioners in my house cause big RF Noises. Because when I turn on A.C.s, I can hear big Hum/Buzz from my speakers.
    So I have to check these A.C.s...!

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Three large air conditioning units? I presume they are window mounted? This is an important piece of information, no doubt.

Turn off one of the A/C units. If the hum stops, then you will have identified the problem.

If the hum persists, leave the first A/C unit off and turn off the second. If the hum stops, then you will have identified the problem.

If the hum persists, leave the first and second A/C units off and turn off the third. If the hum stops, then you will have identified the problem. If the hum persists, then the A/C units are not the problem.

kazu and H8SLKC like this.
  11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

May be try something low cost like this to see if that helps?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000513O...t=&hvlocphy=9032905&hvtargid=pla-309635859256

kazu likes this.
  12. kazu

Thank you!

One A/C unit has NO earth-wiring.
    This unit with a compressor is powered by 200V AC. (Common Japanese voltage on home is 100V AC).
    This unit causes the biggest Buzz/Hum. At past time, when I used a big isolation trance on my Rega RP6 TTPSU, integrated-amp and phono-pre-amp, the hum persists still. So I can imagin it is caused by RFI.

I should make an earth-wiring to this A/C Unit.

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Idea for a new TV series: The Hum Hunters

s13coupe and kazu like this.
  14. kazu

Hahahaha...LOL

15. CoolCraig

CoolCraig Forum Resident

I was having the same issue on a new P3 and finally took it in the shop. Not only was mine humming, the demo in store exhibited same issue. Store rep did the following things:

1. Added ground to TT PSU
    2. Used new Neo PSU
    3. Used wall-wart

All FAILED!! Supplier said wires are easily over tighten and become loose inside tonearm and is sending 2 brand new tonearms. I'll post an update if when I get it back.

16. CoolCraig

CoolCraig Forum Resident

New tonearm did not correct the hum.........

Shop's Rega P3 & P6 both exhibit hum with Rega cartridges (Bias 2, Exact, Elys2). They put on an Ortofon 2M Blue and NO HUM!!!!

Rega was made aware of the issue by the large distributor in Texas. Will update when I hear back from shop.

17. Joekwon80

Joekwon80 New Member

Long time navigator of this forums first time poster.

I recently purchased a Rega P6 and while I waited for my MP-150 to show up was using an old Grado f1+ on the turntable with no prob ground buzz issues.

As soon as swapped out the cartridge to the MP-150 a ground buzz started. I haven’t found anything on any of the board talking about why this might happen but it was solved by running a round wire from my Pro-Ject Tube Box DS to one of the screws that secures the P6.

I’m not quite sure why the new cart would cause a ground buzz over the old cart but it did.

Anyone know why this would be? Is my MP-150 defective?

18. Welcome aboard @Joekwon80 . As Agitator suggested, placement is critical. Not sure what the differences in those 2 cartridges are but I have a Rega P5 / TTPSU that I struggled with at one time regarding hum. I did run a Grado Gold on this table and had hum. When I switched phono stages, same thing all over. You may just need to move things around. The Nag may just be a more open design and feature coil winding that provides better resolution and clarity. Unfortunately in the cartridge world, that sometimes means it's more prone to noise in certain scenarios and it's up to you to troubleshoot and eliminate.

19. Joekwon80

Joekwon80 New Member

Got ya! I have separated the phono stage to a different shelf and moved things around. The ground loop hum is still present if I don’t run that ground wire to the underside of the tone arm bolts.

I have a second MP-150(long story short amazon accidentally sent me 2) I’m tempted to open it and try to see if I run into the same issues but would rather use that extra 300 to further upgrade my system.

Is there something else in the system other than placement of the peripherals that might cause such a hum? Specifically can the small wires that connect to the cartridge cause a hum if they are twisted in a weird way around one another?? They go down the tone arm so I don’t see why that would cause but if I touch one of those wires the hum does increase in volume.

Thanks for the reply.

20. I doubt it's the wires but really, you will need to troubleshoot more. Turn the system on, switch to the phono input, clamp the arm down to prevent accidents. With a moderate volume and no record on, lift up the table and move it around...does the hum increase, decrease, etc. Do the same thing with the phono stage, etc. Take a toothpick and gently move the small wires connected to the cartridge..anything? Are you using powerbars, extension cords, etc..if so, remove them. Are all components plugged into the same receptacle? Try separating the phono from the receptacle with an extension cord to another room, across the room, etc. Do you have lighting near the stereo? Do you have a TV near the stereo Turn it off, move, etc.

Joekwon80 likes this.
  21. Joekwon80

Joekwon80 New Member

Ahhh got ya ok I will try all of this. Is having a ground wire a bad thing? Are there any foreseeable issues that I might run into by having one?

Thank you for your help! Aside from this ground hum I love the turntable and cartridge combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.