Hunky Dory / Ziggy Stardust - Gold Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Ryan, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Oversight. Thanks a lot

2. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I've got a coloured vinyl Hours, Earthling and 1.Outside, but I don't mind them - they're the digital age, but in my head you don't mess with HD and Ziggy - I know it was glam rock, but gold just seems wrong to me. Those albums remind me of radiograms and old school, and didn't coloured vinyl only become a big thing after punk?. Even the pink VU&N 50th seems more appropriate though. Maybe I'm just an old traditionalist.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It is a big gimmick but Bowie fans seem to go mad over this stuff, like the picture disc singles.

The Smiths 12" is at least something different with a new sleeve, a 'new' single and sound could be pretty good on a 12".

oldturkey likes this.
  4. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes it's a novelty thing that you either love or hate. I quite like the odd coloured record, in a collection of hundreds of black LP's the odd bit of colour is a nice thing in my opinion .
    I may only have 3 that I can think of Cream at R.A.H = on white
    Lenny Kravitz Are you gonna go my way = clear & now Bowie. I did have an orange Curtis Mayfield but it sounded so bad I sold it.

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Just compared this gold to the uk 1st pressing and I cannot decide what sounds best.

mr.dave and jonnyhambone like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

which one? this thread is about two albums.

i assume ziggy, as it's the immaculate AAA cut from 2012, but ya gotta specify!

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This is easy. The MOV versions sound better than the Fridays.

John Bliss, e.s. and karmaman like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nope. When the Fantasy label pressed their own vinyl, they pressed stereo LPs in blue vinyl and mono in red vinyl. That was a couple of decades previously.

John Bliss and e.s. like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right, but as a collectible item it really was around that "punk" period. Remember the Beatles' red, blue and white albums being released worldwide on colored vinyl.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right. I remember being disappointed as the Fridays version is the only complete Outside on vinyl, I believe.

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes Ziggy
    How does Hunky Dory compare.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hm, good point. After Fantasy stopped pressing stuff, I think it was largely used for kids records when it was used at all.

Although the original Elton John albums on DJM are on very dark red vinyl, but it wasn't a selling point.

13. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just exchanged my Hunky Dory gold lp for another one, the first was noisy like hell: clicks and pops throughout "Changes", i could not listen any further.
    ==> I have my new copy with me so will give it a spin tonight.

14. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I saw HD in my local this weekend and picked it up since I do not have any version of this on vinyl. The little voice inside of me(my audiophile ego) says I should have an original US or UK cut, but never see them around these parts, so I went for it. I am happy and now reading about Ziggy being AAA, I am planning on getting that too, just for the simple fact they are readily available right now whereas finding an original US or UK cut hasn't happened in my search over the last 10 years or so.

15. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Just received my gold Ziggy. No issues at all. Great pressing and spectacular sound. I think they've fixed the 2016 pressing problem

tin ears likes this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Are there totally different production runs at least for the cover artwork ? Saw them in a dutch record store both with contrasty and bad colour covers, compared to early ones. In this humpty dumpty unboxing vid they seem to look better

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Still haven't gotten a response to my question - anyone know?

18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Haven't seen for less than $20 in the USA

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i myself have answered this at least twice in the thread. they are the same.

scobb and slop101 like this.
  20. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

What was the pressing problem?

21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Just bought the gold Hunky Dory for £14. Sounds really nice, not that I have another HD to compare to. Lovely full sound. One question: Is this a new remix from 2015? It says remixed on the back.

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

no, that's from the original sleeve art. some of these tracks were previously on a promo-only LP in slightly different mixes, so that could be why it credits Ken Scott with "remixed by" and not just "mixed by". or perhaps bowie (those are his handwritten credits) simply misunderstood the term.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  23. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

May I ask where from please?

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Humpty Dumpty??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.