Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

We The People
    A decent enough song that I think was a single, it certainly received some radio airplay. Not a favourite and they were starting to lose me around this time.

2. mark winstanley

Hear No Evil
    Ok, to my ears, and I could be completely wrong ... This album the deeper I get into it seems to be the sound of a band that feels a bit stale, a bit lost and is reaching for different sounds to try and spark some creativity. That's one of those things that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
    This isn't a bad song, but it doesn't quite feel right.

Mylene likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

Edge Of Nowhere
    Starting with an effected or synthetic drum/percussion pattern. We have some guitars playing some pinched harmonics and then a smooth keyboard laying the bed for the song to lay in. We have good use of dynamics through this song. This is a good song, but very unlike the band we were listening to a few albums ago.

4. mark winstanley

Love That I Long For
    This song isn't bad, but it seems stylistically confused. Instead of a song reaching for a new style or a smooth amalgamation of natural influences, it seems more like it's reaching for something that isn't there. It isn't a terrible song to listen to, it's just somewhat disappointing.

5. mark winstanley

Where Do You Go?
    This seems more in line with the Hunnas stuff we have been used to even with the keyboards leading us out. This is a great song and was very popular at the time.
    It seems perhaps some of our Aussie greats had some strange kind of situation that I'm not aware of around this point in time. It's like somewhere in the nineties some very well known and loved Aussie bands felt threatened or outdated by the very good young, up and coming scene of the time and instead of accepting that and rolling along, perhaps taking bits and pieces on board, several bands just completely redesigned themselves ... I'm not sure that it really worked for any of them.

6. mark winstanley

Imaginary Girl
    Here again we have an infiltration of nineties drum machine patterns over a bed of synths. This is actually a good song, and I don't see that it wouldn't have worked with the traditional Hunnas bed of guitar and horns ... those elements do come into the song, but the unique sound the band had is somewhat watered down on this album.

7. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I've been waiting for you to get to this track. Where Do You Go? is one of the best tracks on the album and one of my favourite H&C songs though the album version is IMHO, vastly inferior to the original single version that was released prior to album being released. The track also serves for me as everything that I don't like about the album. The original single version below is drier in the mix and without all of the extraneous flourishes and added sound effects of the album version. They are both the from the same musical bed, though when it came to the album version, it seems that Don Gehman tried to polish the original Nick Sansano produced track into something that would appeal to a wider (US) market and feels weaker for it. It is these same flourishes and additional blurts that mar the album for me. They just muddy the sound and fail to add anything of value to the tracks.

And on the album version of Where Do You Go?, what on earth is that ridiculous Beatlesesque trumpet flourish at 3.08? Why, why, why? No wonder the band were unimpressed with the production of the album.

How on earth this album and the following one were the Hunnas most successful charting releases in Australia is utterly beyond me when you compare them to The Jaws of Life, Ghost Nation or dare I say it, Human Frailty. For me neither Cut nor Demon Flower is a patch on those earlier albums. Always beloved by their hometown Melbourne, maybe Cut finally saw the rest of the country waking up to what a great band the Hunnas were and gave them a helpful shove up the charts.

Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

spot on. i didn't realise they had done that.
    Cheers mate

9. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Wow! I just listened to both versions and you aren't kidding! Album version sounds cheesy. If I'd have heard it on American radio at the time I would have ignored it. The single version, while still a pretty straight forward pop song and not my favorite period of H&C, is much, much better.

SpudOz and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Angel Of Mercy
    This song is pretty good and builds up to a big horn section and guitar solo in the middle.
    In spite of some good songs, the album doesn't quite work for me.

11. mark winstanley

Demon Flower
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Hunters & Collectors
    Released
    16 May 1994
    Recorded 1993-94
    Sing Sing Studios, Melbourne
    Genre Australian rock
    Length 49:44
    Label White/Mushroom
    Producer Hunters & Collectors, Nick Mainsbridge
    Hunters & Collectors chronology
    Cut
    (1992) Demon Flower
    (1994) Juggernaut
    (1998)
    Singles from Demon Flower
    1. "Easy"
      Released: April 1994
    2. "Back in the Hole"
      Released: June 1994
    3. "Drop in the Ocean"
      Released: 24 October 1994
    4. "The One and Only You"
      Released: February 1995
    Demon Flower is the eighth studio album by Australian rock band, Hunters & Collectors and was released on 16 May 1994. It was co-produced by the band with Nick Mainsbridge, reaching No. 2 on the ARIA Albums Chart and was certified Gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association.[1] It also peaked at No. 9 on the New Zealand Albums Chart.

Demon Flower was released by Hunters & Collectors as their eighth studio album on 16 May 1994, which was co-produced by the band with Nick Mainsbridge (The Triffids, Martha's Vineyard, Ratcat).[2] The line-up of the group was John Archer on bass guitar, P.A., backing vocals; Doug Falconer on drums, backing vocals, programming, and percussion; Jack Howard on trumpet, keyboards and backing vocals; Robert Miles on live sound and art design; Barry Palmer on lead guitar; Mark Seymour on lead vocals and guitar; Jeremy Smith on French horn, keyboards, guitars and backing vocals; and Michael Waters on keyboards and trombone.[2][3]

Archer told The Canberra Times' Naomi Mapstone that he felt the album had "less kind of studio stuff. I think it's a lot more adventurous, even though the last one sounded really full-on and dense, it was actually quite a safe record in a lot of ways ... We had a lot more fun with the sounds on this one".[4] Australian musicologist, Ian McFarlane noticed that it "featured a stronger emphasis on guitars".[3]

It debuted at No. 2 in Australia – their highest charting album – and No. 9 in New Zealand.[5][6] Demon Flower's lead single "Easy", was issued a month ahead of the album's release and peaked at No. 38 on both countries singles charts.[5][6] The three subsequent singles however all failed to chart.[5][6] Seymour describes the band's frustration in the liner notes of Natural Selection, when discussing the fourth single, "The One and Only", "We’d launch into tracks like this one… an absolute live monster, and getting a response would be like trying to raise the dead. The radio recognition factor was crucial. Practically speaking, there wasn’t any radio after Holy Grail. Go figure."

The album was remastered and reissued by Liberation Music on 11 August 2003.

Naomi Mapstone of The Canberra Times reviewed Demon Flower in June 1994 and noted that "[the band] seem to have, taken a deep breath, cleared their heads and, got back in touch with the vitality that was a hallmark of-earlier albums Human Frailty and The Jaws of Life".[8] In December that year her fellow journalist, Nicole Leedham, rated Demon Floweras the Best Album of the year.

-------------------------------------------------------
    I would have listened to this album before, but not a lot, so I will be discovering this album essentially. So based on that, please give us your thoughts and insights to flesh this out.
    What do you think about this album?
    Where does it sit in your Hunters and Collectors albums? (and I don't mean is it chronologically arranged on the shelf :) )

12. mark winstanley

Easy Reference guide

The band
    - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Hunters and Collectors 1982 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Talking to a stranger Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Alligator Engine Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Skin of our teeth Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Scream who Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Junket Head Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 BooBoo kiss Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Tender Kinder Baby Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Run run run Hunters and Collectors Album thread

World of stone & Payload EP's 1982 Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Fireman's Curse 1983 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Prologue Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Curse Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Fish Roar Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Blind Snake Sundae Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Mr right Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 Sway Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Judas sheep Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Eggheart Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Drinking bomb Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Epilogue Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Jaws Of Life 1984 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 42 wheels Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Holding down a d Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 I couldn't give it to you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 It's early days yet Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 I believe Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Betty's worry or The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Hayley's doorstep Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Red Lane Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Carry me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 11 Little Chalkie Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Way To Go Out 1985 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Throw your arms around me - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Little Chalkie Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Follow me no more Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    I couldn't give it to you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Carry me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    I believe Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Human Frailty 1986 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    More album and song info - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    singles info Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Say goodbye Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Throw Your Arms Around Me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    by Crowded House Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    by The Doug Anthony Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Dog Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Everything's On Fire Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Relief Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 The Finger Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 99th Home Position http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hunters-and-collectors-album-thread.756711/page-7#post-18953986
    track 8 Is There Anybody In There Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Stuck On You Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 This Morning Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Living Daylight 1987 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Inside A Fireball Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Living Daylight Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Track 3 January Rain Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Live on Rock Arena 1986
    The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Everything's on fire Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Is there anybody in there Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Stuck on you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Red leather belt Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Betty's worry or The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Dog Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Say goodbye Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    This morning Hunters and Collectors Album thread

What's A Few Men? 1987
    track 1 Faraway Man Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Do You See What I See Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Around The Flame Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 So Long Ago Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Breakneck Road Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 What are you waiting for Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Under the sun Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Still hangin' 'round Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 You can have it all Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 What's A Few Men Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 11 Give me a reason Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    bonus tracks on Aussie re-issue
    track 12 Back on the breadline Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 13 Wishing Well Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 14 Real World Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 15 Something to believe in Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Ghost Nation 1989 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 When the river runs dry Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Blind eye Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Love all over again Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Crime of passion Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 You stole my thunder Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 Ghost Nation Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 The way you live Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Gut feeling Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Lazy Summer Day Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 11 Running Water Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Cut 1992 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Head Above Water Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Holy Grail Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Grindstone Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 True Tears Of Joy Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 We The People Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 Hear No Evil Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Edge Of Nowhere Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Love That I long For Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Where Do You Go? Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Where Do You Go? (single version, with information) Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Imaginary Girl Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Track 11 Angel Of Mercy Hunters and Collectors Album thread

B-side - Another One Like You Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Demon Flower 1994 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Horn Of Plenty (box set) essay - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

13. mark winstanley

Easy
    We have a rock song, pretty traditional sounding rock song. There is a more raw feeling. This is a pretty good song to start off the album,

14. mark winstanley

Panic In The Shade
    Starting of with another nice piece of rock guitar. Seymour has chosen to use an unusual vocal delivery here, but it is effective ....
    I hear something interesting here, and correct me if i'm wrong guys, but my initial feeling listening to these first two songs is that the "Jaws Of Life" days fans, would probably really like this, and the fans that replaced them during the "Courtship of America" would probably not.... Interesting.

15. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I played Demon Flower last nighty in anticipation of the forthcoming discussion about it. Gees, I REALLY struggled to sit through it all and was tempted at numerous times to just walk over to the player, eject it and pop something else on. And now a night later when sitting down to write about it, I don't even know what to say. There is just nothing about it at all that is memorable for me. :shrug:

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

I understand that. I haven't had time to sit and give it a listen as an album, but the first two songs strike me as an attempt to get back to their origins, with a more raw and somewhat experimental sound. After the more smooth stuff over the last couple of albums it certainly sounds much more harsh on the little i have listened to so far ie those first two songs.

17. mark winstanley

Back In The Hole
    Starting off extremely quietly and acoustically this song has an emotive build up for the first two minutes and then hits a lead break. I find this to be a good song also.
    In real terms I get the impression that Hunnas had lost their original audience by this album and the newer fans from the last three albums didn't like the more rootsy approach that they had used on their earlier albums. Although this album debuted at number two on the Australian charts, I'm not sure how popular it is.
    I don't hate this album, by any means, but it isn't as instantly gripping as Jaws of life, Human Frailty and Ghost Nation.

18. mark winstanley

The One And Only You
    This is a good song, but to a degree comes across like Hunnas by numbers.

19. mark winstanley

Mr Bigmouth
    This song starts out very quietly and stays fairly quiet, with a little more density in the second half of the song. A dirge like tune with some interesting melodic choices in the instrumental outro.

20. mark winstanley

Courtship Of America
    This song seems to be a summary of their experiences with trying to break into the US market. It has a semi blues type sound and Seymour is trying some falsetto vocals that don't really suit him, in my opinion.

21. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

My introduction was via the tracks our local "alternative" radio station, WHFS, played of the Living Daylights ep. I sill believe that recording is the finest, most condensed sample of what the band was capable of. I didn't care for what followed but really like Ghost Nation (the only other recording I currently own).

The thread has encouraged me to move backwards to their earlier stuff. I like quite a bit of what I've heard here. Thanks!

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

You're welcome mate. Glad it helped :righton:

23. mark winstanley

Drop In The Ocean
    I don't think there is really any huge drop in quality on this album. I think on the previous album the band sounded a little lost and found themselves somewhat floundering, but there were still some great songs. On this album they appear to be trying to get back to an earlier sound, but in reality they had moved on too far to return. There is certainly a rawness returning to this album that had been smoothed out of the couple of albums prior to this one, and there is certainly nothing wrong with it, but again, it doesn't quite appear to work.
    This is a good song with a good chord structure and lyrics.

24. mark winstanley

Newborn
    A good song with a calm vocal from Seymour. This song actually works quite well.

25. mark winstanley

Tender
    Again we have a song that sounds like earlier Hunnas stuff. It is pretty decent, but to some extent like most of the stuff off this album, it just doesn't have that special something that earlier albums did.

oboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.