Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The Way to Go Out
    Released: 6 May 1985
    Label: White Label (L27148)
    Formats: CD, DVD

1 Throw Your Arms Around Me 5:08
    2 The Way To Go Out 4:36
    3 Little Chalkie 3:30
    4 Follow Me No More 6:46
    5 I Couldn't Give It To You 3:53
    6 The Slab 4:55
    7 Carry Me 4:19
    8 I BelieveWritten-By – Ray Charles 6:02

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. mark winstanley

Throw Your Arms Around Me

oboogie likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

The Way To Go Out

oboogie likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

Little Chalkie

5. mark winstanley

Follow Me No More

oboogie likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

I Couldn't Give It To You

oboogie likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

8. mark winstanley

Carry Me

oboogie likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

I Believe

oboogie likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Live on Rock Arena 1986
    This was my first exposure to the band and led me to buy the Human Frailty album

oboogie likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Everything's On Fire

12. mark winstanley

Is There Anybody In There

13. mark winstanley

Stuck On You

14. mark winstanley

Red Leather Belt

15. mark winstanley

Betty's worry or The slab

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

This Morning

19. mark winstanley

Human Frailty
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Hunters & Collectors
    Released
    7 April 1986
    Recorded 1985–86
    Allan Eaton Sound, St Kilda
    Genre Australian rock
    Length 53:19
    Label Mushroom (AUS)
    I.R.S. (U.S)
    Producer Gavin MacKillop, Hunters & Collectors
    Hunters & Collectors chronology
    The Way To Go Out
    (1985) Human Frailty
    (1986) What's a Few Men?
    (1987)
    Singles from Human Frailty
    1. "Say Goodbye"
      Released: 17 February 1986
    2. "Throw Your Arms Around Me"
      Released: 28 April 1986
    3. "Everything's on Fire"
      Released: 18 August 1986
    4. "Is There Anybody in There?"
      Released: 27 October 1986
    Human Frailty is the fourth studio album by Australian rock band Hunters & Collectors, which was released on 7 April 1986. It was a commercial and critical success. The album peaked at No. 10 on the Australian Kent Music Report Albums Chart and No. 5 on the New Zealand Albums Chart. Four singles were issued from the album, "Say Goodbye", which reached No. 24 on the Kent Music Report Singles Chart; "Throw Your Arms Around Me" (a re-recorded version of a previous single), No. 49; "Everything's on Fire", No. 78; and "Is There Anybody in There", which did not chart in Australia but did reach No. 41 on the New Zealand Singles Chart. In October 2010 Human Frailty was listed at No. 18 in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.

Human Frailty was released on 7 April 1986 and is the fourth studio album by Australian rock band Hunters & Collectors.[1][2] Their line up was John Archer on bass guitar, Doug Falconer on drums, Jack Howard on trumpet, Robert Miles on live sound, Mark Seymour on lead vocals and guitar, Jeremy Smith on French horn, and Michael Waters on keyboards and trombone.[1][2]

Seymour later told Tracee Hutchison "I remember having a discussion with [Miles] and [Falconer] in a beergarden at the Standard Hotel in Fitzroy, and I said 'Look, you know, we should try and make a commercial record if we want to take things seriously in the long term.' I think that was a year before we even started thinking about recording this record".[3]He recalled for 100 Best Australian Albums (October 2010) that all the tracks are "connected to the relationship that [my then-girlfriend] and I had".[4]

"Human Frailty" became their first Australian Top Ten album reaching No. 8 on the Australian charts[4][5] and No. 5 in New Zealand.[6] The lead single from the album, "Say Goodbye", released in February 1986, peaked at No. 24 in Australia and No. 20 in New Zealand.[5][6] A third version of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" was recorded for the album and was issued as its second single, which peaked at No. 49 in Australian in May 1986.[5] Eventually it became one of their most popular songs, voted in the Top 5 on the Triple J Hottest 100 for 1989, 1990, and 1991.[7]

Two further singles from Human Frailty were released, "Everything's on Fire" in August and "Is There Anybody in There?" in October, both reached the top 50 in New Zealand (No. 44 and 41 respectively) but not in Australia.[5][6] The album included a cover version of a track originally recorded by Sardine v, "Stuck on You",[8] written by Ian Rilen and Stephanie Falconer aka Stephanie Rilen.[8][9]

Hunters & Collectors signed a parallel deal with I.R.S. Records for North America, which released the album in July 1987,[10] although with a different track listing from the Australian version. I.R.S. Records also re-issued the album in a CD format, including all three tracks from the Living Daylight extended play (April 1987, Australasia-only). In July 1991 White Label Records re-issued the album on CD, also including Living Daylight tracks. Liberation Music released a re-mastered issue of Human Frailty on 7 July 2003.

On 20 September 2007, SBS in Australia aired a one-hour documentary on Hunters & Collectors and Human Frailty as the part of their Great Australian Albums series. The series was subsequently released on DVD on 22 October 2008.

In May 1986 Pollyanna Sutton of The Canberra Times reviewed Human Frailty, she felt that their "early rythmical [sic] drum beats, abstract music and sometimes inaudible lyrics have been turned around to produce [the album], something of a showpiece for lead singer, Mark Seymour".[12] The album had "broadened the band's audience, taking away the uncertainty which manifested itself" earlier.[12] In the next month her colleague, Lisa Wallace, declared it "the best album I have heard in a long, longtime. It's clean, fresh, emotional and very, very good. Not for many a moon (far too many) has there been an Australian band which has proved itself such a consistent winner".[13]

Fellow Australian music journalist, Ed Nimmervoll, noted "Seymour's themes of alienation and sexual politics came to the fore" with this album.[14] He described how the group "had discovered how to tap the unique vein they had unearthed; where, in a sweat-dripping venue packed to the rafters with a beer swilling macho rock fans the audience would and could at the top of their voices unselfconsciously sing along to a chorus like 'you don't make me feel like a woman any more'".[14] While Ian McFarlane saw it showed "further refinement of the sinewy and dynamic approach established on The Jaws of Life".[2]

Allmusic's Steve Kurutz saw the group had "finally discovered their true strength; a balance of bass and drum-driven grooves set below punchy horns and counterpoint melody lines".[15] In October 2010, it was listed at No. 18 in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.[4] Its three authors, John O'Donnell, Toby Creswell, and Craig Mathieson, praised "the immense power of [Archer's] bass and [Falconer's] drums set against Seymour's inventive guitar playing ... the songs were still esoteric , the massive bottom end made [them] an increasingly popular band around the pubs".
    -----------------------------------------

This to me is the bands masterpiece. It straddles the line between the alternative stuff before it and the more commercial stuff after it. It's a delicate balance to find and few manage to do it very often. Midnight Oil managed it with 10-1. Cold Chisel Managed it with Circus Animals. And Hunteres and Collectors managed it with Human Frailty.
    The title of the album says it all and this album lyrically is some fine work. The songs are well put together with fine arrangements, that if you have been following the thread you will hear the development through the first three albums.

I know I posted a ton of live stuff back there, but I hope you go back through it, and even listen to some of it at least, before you dive into Human Frailty. As I say, the Rock Arena special is what got me to go and buy the album and I'm so very pleased it did.

I will post a song or two tomorrow but as always, please give us your thoughts on the album, when it found you, what did it mean to you ... good, bad or indifferent

oboogie likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

'Human Frailty' was the bands' nickname for beer.

The band recorded a version of This Morning for The Way to Go Out but they held it over til the next studio album. Another song 'Spill Your Guts' also was recorded for TWTGO but that song's lost in time.

Kassonica and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Songs left off The Way to Go Out (vinyl, CD)

This Morning
    Spill Your Guts
    Hayley's Doorstep
    Holding Down a D
    It's Early Days Yet
    The Unbeliever (on VHS and DVD)
    The Finger (instrumental, Hardware Street rehearsal on DVD)

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

Say Goodbye
    This was a brilliant choice for a lead single. This song pumps along as you would expect a Hunnas song to. For some reason everyone at the time was caught up in the fact the Seymour was singing " you don't make me feel like i'm a woman anymore", i never really understood why, as he clearly says "and she said", but whatever.
    We have some really well arranged horns. We have a great guitar riff the recalls some of CCR's best work. We have some fantastic lyrics that capture the feelings and emotions of the point of breakdown in a relationship. This is a classic song.

Lyrics
    Well just the other night I come home
    After three months of constant grind and travel
    And I went sniveling
    I went crawling around to my girlfriend's house

And she came down hard upon me
    And she ground her finger into my breastbone
    And she said
    She said: "You don't make me feel... like I'm a woman... anymore

And you don't make me feel like I'm a woman any more
    You don't make me feel like I'm a woman any more
    And I know
    I know it's been a long time

Seems like it's been go-ing on forever
    And my heart
    My heart is beating
    Too big

It's beating too big for the space that's meant to hold it
    So good-night
    Goodnight my little lovely
    As we turn

As we turn down the lights
    Say good-bye
    Goodbye to the naked truth
    Your skin is looking weary

And your eyes are closing down on the day
    I know, I know it's been a long time
    Seems like it's been going on forever
    But just as black is white

Yeah and just as night is day
    The light is going to leave you
    And you're gonna fade away
    So goodnight, goodbye my lovely

As we turn, as we turn down the lights
    Say goodnight, goodnight to the naked truth
    Your skin is looking weary
    And your eyes are closing down on the day

oboogie and Mylene like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When they started their audience was the same inner city indie fans who liked The Birthday Party and the Models but when they started playing in the suburbs there were a lot of spoiled rich kids who drove sports cars and chanted 'Hunnas'. After they recorded Jaws of Life they got the old fans back and mainly played in the inner city. Next when they tried to write actual songs and put out Human Frailty and added Barry Palmer on second guitar they basically went after the same audience as The Angels or Chisel. When they got that audience AND learnt how to write songs they gained a little but lost a great deal. When we get to 'Cut' we'll see how badly the whole thing backfired.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

Easy Reference guide

The band
    - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Hunters and Collectors 1982 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Talking to a stranger Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Alligator Engine Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Skin of our teeth Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Scream who Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Junket Head Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 BooBoo kiss Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Tender Kinder Baby Hunters and Collectors Album thread