Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

So Long Ago
    Starting with a fairly generic chord pattern (think oz crawl - daughters of the northern coast, nirvana's -smells like teen spirit) but for the nature of the song it works.

Lyrics
    There was a time, long time ago
    When I could do anything I wanted
    Round your place
    Everyone’s awake
    And nobody is watching

But it’s so long ago
    So long ago
    So long ago I can not remember

We got tangled up and I got nervous
    Our love was just a drop in the ocean
    There are seven days in a week
    And only one deadly sin
    One day I was scared
    And the next one you were clean

But it’s so long ago
    So long ago

Here in the new age
    Here in the age of incubation
    Oh we are willing but we are unable
    We play show poker love under the table – yeah

One pack of three gloves in my pocket
    As I walk out into the night
    Oh little baby I can hardly stand it
    This fantasy is disappearing out of sight

And it’s so long ago
    So long ago

oboogie likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

Easy Reference guide

The band
    - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Hunters and Collectors 1982 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Talking to a stranger Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Alligator Engine Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Skin of our teeth Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Scream who Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Junket Head Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 BooBoo kiss Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Tender Kinder Baby Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Run run run Hunters and Collectors Album thread

World of stone & Payload EP's 1982 Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Fireman's Curse 1983 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Prologue Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Curse Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Fish Roar Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Blind Snake Sundae Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Mr right Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 Sway Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Judas sheep Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Eggheart Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Drinking bomb Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Epilogue Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Jaws Of Life 1984 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 42 wheels Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Holding down a d Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 I couldn't give it to you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 It's early days yet Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 I believe Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 Betty's worry or The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 8 Hayley's doorstep Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Red Lane Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 Carry me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 11 Little Chalkie Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Way To Go Out 1985 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Throw your arms around me - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Little Chalkie Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Follow me no more Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    I couldn't give it to you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Carry me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    I believe Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Human Frailty 1986 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    More album and song info - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    singles info Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Say goodbye Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Throw Your Arms Around Me Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    by Crowded House Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    by The Doug Anthony Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Dog Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 Everything's On Fire Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 5 Relief Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 6 The Finger Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 7 99th Home Position http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hunters-and-collectors-album-thread.756711/page-7#post-18953986
    track 8 Is There Anybody In There Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 9 Stuck On You Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 10 This Morning Hunters and Collectors Album thread

The Living Daylight 1987 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Inside A Fireball Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Living Daylight Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Track 3 January Rain Hunters and Collectors Album thread

What's A Few Men? 1987 - Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 1 Faraway Man Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 2 Do You See What I See Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 3 Around The Flame Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    track 4 So Long Ago Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Live on Rock Arena 1986
    The way to go out Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Everything's on fire Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Is there anybody in there Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Stuck on you Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Red leather belt Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Betty's worry or The slab Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Dog Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    Say goodbye Hunters and Collectors Album thread
    This morning Hunters and Collectors Album thread

Horn Of Plenty (box set) essay - Hunters and Collectors Album thread

3. mark winstanley

Breakneck Road

4. mark winstanley

What Are You Waiting For
    A track that is a bit more rough and ready. A great track.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

The U.S. CD of Human Frailty includes Living Daylight, which is cool. What's not so cool is that the extra tracks were inserted in the middle, starting with track 6, then it picks back up with the The Finger as track 10. As used the LP separately, that bothered me at first, but I got used to it over the years. However, I just now got inspiration to edit the files on my hard drive so Living Daylight is now once again a separate album title.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

it's weird to me how they jumble all this stuff up. record companies are strange beasts

7. mark winstanley

Under The Sun
    A nice intro that moves into a cool key change and then a stripped back verse and then everybody kicks in. It strikes me that this song wouldn't be out of place on Human Frailty and I do like this song quite a lot.

OptimisticGoat and oboogie like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Still Hangin' 'Round
    This was not surprisingly a single off the album and it contains all of those things one would expect from a single from this point in time in Australia. It's a good song and has one of those everyone can sing this at the concert choruses.

oboogie likes this.
  9. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I love both Human Frailty and Ghost Nation but What's A Few Men?/Fate (in either version) has always been a bit of a disappointment to me. It sounds as though H&C were going for a more commercial sound with this album and they weren't entirely successful in doing so. That nearly a third of the album was replaced for the US release seems to bear this out though the US never really "got" our Aussie pub/club groups to start with. Do You See What I See? is an out and out Hunna's classic and one of the best songs that they ever wrote IMHO. The CD release that added the Living Daylights EP onto it added the just as great Inside A Fireball and made for a stronger listen. They might've been better holding the Living Daylight EP back and using those songs for What's A Few Men?/Fate.

10. mark winstanley

i have to agree. This album is a weird beast. I like the songs well enough, but it doesn't hang together as an album as well as the other two you mentioned.
    It's not that the album screamed sell out to me, it seemed more of a burned out issue.

11. mark winstanley

You Can Have It All
    A good song that has been arranged well.

12. mark winstanley

What's A Few Men
    A favourite from the album for me. A very well written lyric obviously written about some of the insane decisions made by British command when Australia still fought for England in wars, under English command.

13. mark winstanley

Give Me A Reason
    This song is a little more raw and has a nice upbeat rhythm with a nice staccato feel to the verses that pumps into the chorus.

14. mark winstanley

Bonus tracks on the Aussie Reissue -
    Back On The Breadline
    This songs starts off with a Rolling Stones guitar riff and moves into a moderate rock song. I believe this song was recorded as a single for the American release. It's a good song but I think Do You See What I See would have been a stronger lead single for the U.S., but so often the U.S. market leaves me bewildered, so who knows.

OptimisticGoat and Mylene like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Wishing Well

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

Something To Believe In

18. mark winstanley

Ghost Nation
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Hunters & Collectors
    Released
    27 November 1989
    Recorded 1989
    Platinum Studios, Melbourne
    Genre Rock
    Length 43:20
    Label White/Mushroom
    Producer Clive Martin, Hunters & Collectors
    Hunters & Collectors chronology
    What's a Few Men?
    (1987) Ghost Nation
    (1989) Cut
    (1993)
    Singles from Ghost Nation
    1. "When the River Runs Dry"
      Released: 25 September 1989
    2. "Turn a Blind Eye" aka "Blind Eye"
      Released: 8 January 1990
    3. "The Way You Live"
      Released: 23 April 1990
    4. "Love All Over Again"
      Released: August 1990
    Ghost Nation is the sixth studio album by Australian rock band, Hunters & Collectors. It was co-produced by the band with Clive Martin and issued on White/Mushroom Records on 27 November 1989. It reached No. 10 on the ARIA Albums Chart, No. 29 in New Zealand and No. 31 in Sweden.

The album helped Hunters & Collectors win the award of Australian Band of the Year (1990) by Rolling Stone Australia. The band were nominated for six awards at the Fourth Annual ARIA Music Awards in 1990, but they won just one category – Best Cover Art for Ghost Nation by Robert Miles.

Hunters & Collectors line up in 1987 was John Archer on bass guitar, Doug Falconer on drums, Jack Howard on trumpet, Robert Miles on live sound, Mark Seymour on lead vocals and guitar, Jeremy Smith on French horn, and Michael Waters on keyboards and trombone.[1][2][3] Early in 1988 Barry Palmer (also a member of Harem Scarem, ex-Stephen Cummings Band) joined the group on guitar.[1][2] Ghost Nation, their sixth studio album, was co-produced by the band with Clive Martin.[2] It was released in November 1989 on White Label/Mushroom in Australia and New Zealand and Atlantic in Europe and North America, and was their second Australian Top Ten appearance on the ARIA Albums Chart, peaking at No 10 in February 1990.[4] In New Zealand it reached the top 30 and also charted in Sweden reaching No. 31 on the Sverigetopplistan.[5][6] It provided four singles, beginning with "When the River Runs Dry", appearing in September and peaking at No. 23 in Australia in December and No. 5 on Billboard Modern Rock Tracks in 1990.[4][7] The album also includes a cover version of Eric Gradman: Man and Machine's 1979 single, "Crime of Passion".[8]

The album was remastered and re-issued by Liberation Records on 7 July 2003.

Australian musicologist, Ian McFarlane, enthused "[it] was perhaps the band's finest album to date".[1] However Allmusic's Mike DeGagne declared that it was "one of this Australian band's weakest attempts, [it] suffers greatly from bland lyrics and gray instrumental work through the entirety of the album".[9] Ed St John in Rolling Stone Australia states "The first thing that strikes me about Ghost Nation is its sound. The band plays with impressive spirit, the grooves flowing with a spontaneous grace that far surpasses much of their earlier work. Moreover the music is beautifully recorded and intelligently, thoughtfully mixed."[10]

The album helped Hunters & Collectors win the award of Australian Band of the Year (1990) by Rolling Stone Australia.[1] The band were nominated for six awards at the ARIA Music Awards of 1990, but won just one category – Best Cover Art for Ghost Nation by Miles.

All lyrics written by Mark Seymour; all music composed by John Archer, Doug Falconer, Jack Howard, Robert Miles, Barry Palmer, Seymour, Jeremy Smith, Michael Waters
    ------------------------------------
    This was a solid album by the band and a lot of songs on here got a lot of radio airplay. There is a further smoothing of sound that probably alienated some of the bands early fans but essentially, to me, even the smoothed over sound was uniquely Hunters and Collectors.
    Tomorrow we'll hit the first couple of songs but until then ....
    What do you think of this album?
    Where does it sit in your Hunnas list of favourites?
    Did this further smoothing of the band's sound deter you?

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

When The River Runs Dry
    The album starts with a great song. This song has that beautiful, heavy Hunnas groove and some nice attacking guitar sounds. I hear some folks didn't like the lyrics on this album, but I think they were very good. I actually like this album a lot.
    Great song, great way to start the album.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    OptimisticGoat, Mylene and SpudOz like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Blind Eye
    Again starting with a great Hunnas groove, the Bass and drums are always beyond reproach in this band. A nice gentle keyboard with a horn over the top. The guitar stabs in and around the groove. Again to me this is a great song, with a beautiful melancholy melody.

Mylene likes this.
  23. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

After the disappointment of What's A Few Men?/Fate, for me Ghost Nation was a great return to form by H&C. This a great album and one that should've been much more successful than it was. As usual, my favourite tracks off the album re those that aren't as well widely regarded. When the river Runs Dry is great and I also love Crime of Passion and Gut Feeling. When I first bought the album when it was released and saw the tracklist, I was like "have the Hunnas done a Devo cover?" I was slightly disappointed to hear it was an original composition. o_O

To this day you still hear When the River Runs Dry and Blind Eye fairly regularly on local radio.

From here on in though, with the odd exception, it was a rapid descent into fairly uninspiring releases.

Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Hunnas do Devo that would be pretty funny ... Beautiful World would be a good one for them

25. mark winstanley

Love All Over Again
    A good rock song here some nice raunchy guitar and piano. A very effective backing vocal. I really like the way this song fits on the album. I think for some reason I often reach for What's A Few Men, before Ghost Nation, and I'm not sure why as Ghost Nation is a much better album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.