Hybrid SACD how can you tell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floyd, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

I noticed in a catalog that there is a best of Roxy Music and King Crimson 21 century .... albums that are available as Hybrid SACD. so I went looking for them at a music store. I found both and they look to both have been released in the last year or so the King Crimson is an 24bit 30th anniv. issue and the Roxy Music I belive had a 2001 date on it but nowhere does it say anything about SACD not being sure I passed them up.

Now I have seen some hybrids that say it on the packageing but Ive also noticed many ads I have seen for the Stones SACD remasters have not mentioned SACD on them at all even though they are (Im talking ad's here)

anyone know about the above titles? I didnt bother to ask anyone in the store, you know the blank look and question what is a SACD.

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I may be wrong but I think the SACD logo on the cover or outside on the tray card would be imperative!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Perhaps you have the terminology confused? Is it possible that these releases were labeled "HDCD". This stands for High Definition CD - an encoding/decoding format that is supposed to give near 20-bit performance on equipped players while still being compatible with regular CD players. It is not related to SACD.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Both of those releases were done in HDCD. That has to be what you saw.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Hybrid SACD how can you tell?

Not necessarily. I don't think the Stones discs have any mention of SACD on the outside. I know the sampler disc didn't (just in the notes inside and on the disc itself).

6. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually I have a SACD catalog with these two titles in it so I am positive there is a SACD Hybrid issue or at least one comming this is a catalog that Sony put out and delt only with SACD and the Hybrids.

If these releases are the same as Luke's sampler Stones hybrid then it sounds like the only way to know is buying the thing. If the SACD technology is not advertising itself that is a great shot in the foot.

Some forum member must have the Hybrid of Roxy Music or King Crismon.

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Re: Re: Re: Hybrid SACD how can you tell?

It would be interesting to find out as, even though I wholeheartedly agree with the "stealth" marketing philosophy, SACD aware buyers who are "browse shopping" should have a way of knowing which titles are SACD. That's why I think a small logo somewhere on the outside of the case would be all that is needed. We don't need to go through the "which CD is a remaster" type thing again.

8. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Every SACD (hybrid or not) I've gotten has some sort of sticker on it.

Floyd is absolutely correct about the Roxy Music disc (I can't speak for the King Crimson), there is SUPPOSED to be a SACD hybrid version. It hasn't been released yet - I know because I've been trying to get my hands on it. The disc he saw is the CD, which was released last year.

If anyone has a line on when this will see the light of day, let us know.

- Gabe

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I'm positive there are no King Crimson releases on SACD at the present time. Crimson owns all of their own masters and distribute product on their own label through Virgin in the U.S.

The only thing they have coming out in September are two live re-releases from the 70's and a HDCD remaster of "Thrak".

10. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Both live Crimsons will be HDCD as well, although from what I've been reading there's no earthly reason to encode "Earthbound" for HDCD playback (i.e., it was purportedly a bad recording to begin with). The one to look for will be the expanded "USA." :D

Cat

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You can pre-order the SACD at Red Trumpet, so it must be close. I'm there.

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

According to the a European based site it should have been released on the 16th of this month.
    Just mailed them to check if it is available or not. I'll let you guys know what the answer as soon as I get it.

13. chrischross

chrischross New Member

www.hmv.com has Best of Roxy Music SACD for $17.10 US, but looks like the release is pushed back to 9/17, even though I'm sure it was originally 8/19. Maybe that didn't want to get into the stores at the same time as the 800-pound gorilla otherwise known as the Rolling Stones remasters?? Alternatively, the manufacturing for the Stones remasters might be the culprit in pushing this back?

14. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Just got a message from BOL (Bertelsmann Online) and they told me the disc is available, but has a 4 week delevery time.
    It's priced at 22,99 Euro which isn't expensive overhere.

15. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Correct. Unlike most SACDs issued to date in the US with the familiar stickers that indicate Single Layer or Hybrid, Stereo or Multichannel/Stereo SACD, the Stones do not have the traditional SACD sticker.

What they do carry is a black sticker that says "ABKCO's the Rolling Stones Remastered Series - Includes Inaugural Edition Certificate".

Inside there is a discussion about Hybrid SACDs and the discs themselves carry the SACD logo.

16. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I too was going to post about the new Stones disks. I went looking for them at local shops, but since none of the disks I saw indicated (in any way that could be seen without breaking the seal) whether they were plain CDs or SACDs, I didn't buy any, because I didn't know if there was a dual release.

I don't get this. But then I also don't get why Sony, one of the developers of the dual-layer disk, is only putting out single-layer disks.

17. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

No dual release.

It's VERY easy to tell them apart from the old issues!

If you see "NON-jewel box" packaging, you've got it!

These are the digi-packs! Shouldn't be any confusion, right?! :D

Of course, Circuit City putting the new signs on an "end cap" with pricing and info regarding the SACD versions, along with the "OLD" jewel case CDs, should'nt throw off anyone...should it? :sigh:

This has been a very "soft" merchandising program, to say the least.

18. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

It's not hard to tell the old Abkco's from the new ones, if you have read the messages in this forum for any length of time. I found them right away...digipaks as opposed to jewel cases, remastered labeling on the wrapper, and Abkco 2002 written on the back.

I think it is obvious that Abkco didn't want to scare away the ordinary cd buyer by putting SACD or Hybrid on the front. Most people still don't have a clue what either term means.

The biggest problem is the staff in the stores themselves. Most don't know what a SACD is to begin with. One of the Best Buys had the Stones releases in with the multi-channel audio equipment, along with all the other SACD discs. But, two other Best Buys, plus the Borders store I bought mine in, had the discs in the regular section under the Stones, mixed in with the old ones.

When I called the Borders to inquire about availability, the salesperson told me he would put the discs I had asked for, away, under the counter. When I arrived at the store yesterday, and they pulled out the discs, the person had put one of the old copies of 12x5 in the pile, instead of the new releases. I had to go to the Stones section and replace it with one of the new ones. Found it right away, but even at Borders there was confusion about the two. Just think what "Joe Public" going into the store would face.

Still, I'm a happy guy today, having found all the discs that I had wanted, at least for now.;) And being in Canada, that is a miracle in itself, for these discs!

Happy listening,

PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.