I admit it. People spoiled the LOTR trilogy for me. That's why I didn't see it

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fjhuerta, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

You know, there were 5 or 6 people at the office who couldn't stop talking about LOTR for 3 years... I was so sick and tired of it, I didn't watch any of the movies.

Now I realize maybe I should have given them a chance.

Oh, well. :(

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

It's not too late. Rent the first 2 films (Director cuts) and see the 3rd in the movies....

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Better yet, read the books. :D

The original Matrix movie was about 4 years old before I saw it the first time. I avoided it for the same reasons you described about LOTR.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not to get too anal, but Peter Jackson has gone on record recently as saying that the theatrical versions are his definitive cuts and the extended editions are made for the hardcore fans. That makes the term "director's cut", questionable. That being said, so far, I think both extended editions are noticeably better than the theatrical versions.

Regards,

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't rerelease these movies into the theatre in a year or two from now within a month or two of each other (maybe not the extended editions) kind of like the original Star Wars trilogy about 5 years ago. As I said in another thread, they're going to wring every penny they can out of this product.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I saw the first one. I thought it sucked big time. Incredibly boring chases followed by stupid surreal fights. My wife loved it - so did almost everyone I know. We still argue about it to this day.

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Good idea. The books IMO are MUCH better than the movies. The way the characters were changed for the movies make them very difficult for me to watch.

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I might get the whole trilogy after they do a package DVD version or something... this Frodo guy in the movie looks like a rabbit, albeit without the procreative ability :D

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'd definately give them a chance, Javier. You might be very surprised! Renting them first, is a great idea Todd.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I had no idea what these movies were about. My brother had me watch the first one on DVD. I then saw the second on DVD as well when it came out, and last night I saw the third movie with a friend who is a maniac about these movies.

Overall, I would rate them very good. Since I never read the books, I was a bit lost following all of the charactors, but the presentation is great.

The third film was a bit of a let down in the slightest sort of way. I could not help but feel that the hour that was left out for the DVD was important.

Still, well worth seeing the 3 films, I would say!

11. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

High School friend gave me one of the books, I put it down after page 20.

Saw a documentary of the making of #3 two weeks ago. Rented #1 on Friday night and was hooked. Rented #2 Saturday night, and saw The Return Of The King at 11:40pm last night.

It was a spectacular spectacle. I'm glad I got to see this one on a monster screen in Manhattan, not a movie palace, but the screen was just as huge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.