I am blown away by Denon HEOS...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I wonder how these would compare to the iFi Retro system. Two of the 7s would be around 1200 would it not?

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've struggled getting these to see my library

5. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

The Link is the most interesting for me. And the best entry-level digital player for playing Flac through an analogue stereo (integrated amp). It can play 24/192 Flac, right?

I'd like to know what DAC is in it...

6. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Re: playing flac, unless the purpose here is to just have some background music regardless of the quality of sound, wouldnt the quality of the speakers be more important than how convenient and easy it is to stream to different rooms?

In other words, if you have a HQ streaming set up to your main listening point(s), then adding something like this to add music into other rooms, I understand.. but streaming HQ music via speakers of variable (to low compared with top range amps/speakers) seems a bit odd to me. Streaming off spotify or regular MP3s I more understand as these aren't "audiophile" solutions, and compromised/convenient.

Just to clarify, I'm not being critical, I'm just confused how HQ music delivery fits in with these solutions, especially when little or no focus during reviews seems to be on that quality, compared with ease of use etc.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think the hi-Rez support is more of a way to position these things as "play everything in your library", even if you're not looking for the ultimate audiophile experience.

I got a free HEOS1 with purchase of a Denon AVR-X4300 ($799 and has the HEOS Link built in!), but I haven't got around to setting it up yet. Probably should do that.

HEOS should have Alexa integration soon. For one of these new systems (e.g. HEOS, Sonos) to completely supplanted my existing Logitech Squeezebox ecosystem, they're going to need to have much tighter integration with voice control like Alexa or Siri. That way it's more user friendly for my family.

Mo0g likes this.
  8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Interesting. And I applaud that fellow's efforts. But most likely I'll needs something a bit more robust, like dev work that HEOS + Alexa could manage, as opposed to a resource and creative person(s). If I jump ship from my current Squeezebox setup, it needs to be very robust so my family does not get frustrated. Seems like HEOS just keeps making big improvements, always a good sign.

10. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I think it would function great as an entry-level audio-only network player (and it can even play 24/192 and DSD). It's great having this option with analogue line outs (you don't need an external DAC like with blu-ray players). It would be perfect for me (aside from the boring look). Though I understand what you said about the reviews only talking about the convenience of it...

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

So, does this mean that you can plug a HEOS transmitter-unit of some kind into a line-level analog output on the back of your preamp and listen to a record playing in your listening room inside of the rest of the house with this system? If so, how much of a delay is there?

What about from a SP/DIF output on the back of your CD player?

12. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

@ServingTheMusic, you should hit up Riva Audio to see if you can get review units for their two new wireless speakers. You can wirelessly chain up to 20 together IIRC. And the sound on them is supposed to be amazing.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You'd want to use the HEOS Link for that situation, or one of the newer Denon/Marantz receivers with the Link built in, i.e. you can send a source from the AVR to the HEOS unit(s).

14. TarnishedEars

Can you have a system with multiple links running at once? For example, assuming you were to buy an ARV with heos built-in and you also purchased a link unit for your main setup, in addition to buying a link amp: Could you then stream from either link unit to the amp with both connected to your network at once? Can you stream from the receiver to the link and visa versa?

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can definitely have multiple Links in the same home, and via the HEOS app, you select which one the speaker(s) should connect to. You would not be streaming from a Link to a receiver. You could send an audio source from an AVR into a Link. But the destination is always a HEOS speaker.

BTW, I went to a HEOS demo at CEDIA a few months ago, and was blown away with the HEOS 7 speaker demo. They are pricey, but wow did they sound really good. I'm not saying you're going to give up your Wilson Watt Puppies, but if you have a nice living room and don't want to clutter it up with a receiver, etc., a pair of 7s would be pretty awesome.

16. TarnishedEars

Then why does the link unit have outputs as well as inputs? If you can't send from one link unit to another, then what is the point of the outputs?

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can daisy-chain them together. Or you could send internet radio that originates from within a Link to an AVR. I am probably misunderstanding your question. If you want to send music from a turntable to HEOS speakers throughout the house, you can certainly do that with either a Link or HEOS-enabled AVR, but you don't need both of those to make that happen.

18. TarnishedEars

Here is the scenario which I am thinking of: I would love to be able to stream every type of non-streamed audio which I play on my two-channel system anywhere in the house. That includes my Home-theatre room, among other places in the house. Since I have been seriously considering upgrading my HT preamp anyways, the idea of getting a new AVR or HT preamp with HEOS build-in already sounds like a very attractive option, assuming that it would indeed be able play the stream which I would be sending from my listening room.

So if I am understanding you properly, then a link-unit connected-to my two-channel system could easily stream analog audio from my listening room to all other heos devices inside of our house, including any heos-enabled AVRs. Correct?

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't think a HEOS AVR can act as a "receiver" from another HEOS Link (where your two-channel system would be connected).

20. TarnishedEars

Do you know if these components allow for you to use Ethernet instead of a wireless link? I can see that these have Ethernet jacks, but all I read about is using wireless connections. So I'm not sure if there are some special limitations to the ethernet, or how the Ethernet connections even fit into the big picture.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes all HEOS devices support wired Ethernet.

22. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Love my HEOS device. I'm streaming The Jazz Groove if I'm awake at home and not spinning vinyl. The sound quality through my Krell system is stunning.

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I just bought the Denon AVR 4300 as well. It seems the current HEOs be offered will be discontinued soon. I'm thinking new and updated versions will be released soon. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance.

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I've read reviews on HEOS that the bass distorts from time to time and leads to poor sound. Anyone encountering this?

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The current gen of HEOS speakers is relatively new, and not lack any tech. Why do you think they'll be replaced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.