I am happy with the Led Zeppelin reissues. The anti complaints thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingof punk1977, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Those boxes look very sweet. Will definitely get 'em once the purse allows.

By the way, CD versions of III - do they have a wheel? Sorry if that's been asked before, I might have missed it.

2. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I also enjoyed Jennings Farm blues. Who knew that such a lovely acoustic stomper started out as a full out heavy rocker!?

tmtomh and rockclassics like this.
  3. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I am also glad that the boxes and the entire campaign focus on music. No dilution with video content or... marbles... heh ))

JeffMo and tmtomh like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Funny to see the Billboard album chart with Zeps 1, 2 & 3 at #7, #9 & #10 for the week.
    :righton:

tmtomh, dkmonroe and Szeppelin75 like this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, they have the wheel.

DLeet likes this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Which chart are folks looking at? I've gone to billboard.com and looked at the 200 and the rock charts but don't see Zep. Apologies in advance if I'm being dense.

7. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

I'd like to come back on my earlier posting (on page 1), because the other day I have listened to the 2014 LZII CD next to the mastering from the Remasters 3CD-box.

SMALL RIG
    I'll start out that they both sound VERY good. The 2014 CD sound bigger, brighter and more modern, but still within limits and it actually shows the remastering was done pretty tasteful. My earlier description still stands when I listen it on my own system (sweet 2A3 SET, smallish speakers).

BIG RIG
    But on the best rig I have heard in my life (my friend has it in perpetual development: Accuphase, the same 2A3 SET, 38cm fieldcoils), the 3-CD box also really shines. That sound is smaller, less snappy and more gravitated to the mids. All sounds are like coming out from the mid-frequencies. That for me, has a more warm and analog feel, but the elements of the sound (guitar, bass, voice) are less pronounced.

JUST GET BOTH
    So they both have their merits and shortcomings and it depend on your system (get the cd which sound opposite to your system-sound, I suppose) which one to get. (also, the track-listing is different and all, but I just want to concentrate on sound here).

Hope this helps. :)

Clanceman likes this.
  8. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Just received LZ IV and HOTH - Deluxe Vinyl. Already purchased LZ I, II & II Deluxe Vinyl. I am super happy with all of them - pretty spectacular IMHO. Yes, originals would be better, but as was said in the OP of this thread, I just don't have that in the budget.

Anyway, here's the question - What do I do with the old copies that weren't that good? I'm thinking it's fire sale time...

tmtomh likes this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I can't speak to the market value for used vinyl, but selling back used CDs is no longer Worthwhile. So I'm setting aside my Complete Led Zep box to give to my son in a few years. He won't care that they are inferior Marino masters when he's blasting them from a car and trying to invade Iceland!

KipB, footlooseman and Tommyboy like this.
  10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the superdeluxe boxes. Fantastic music deserves a simular box (vinyl/book /print/cd).

tmtomh and Clanceman like this.
  11. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

I love the reissues...so happy to have 24/96 versions. My favorite LZ song "No Quarter" is a magical experience with these reissues.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They do sound very good. It's great they have been released without the bonus discs; Cheaper, and you still get that Zep goodness.

JimC, tmtomh and rockclassics like this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

My anti complaint contribution:

After piling on and complaining along with others that these 2 new companion discs are underwhelming, I am enjoying them immensely!

So far I am totally satisfied with this reissue campaign.

14. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

That's been my viewpoint all along. The whole point of this re-release campaign is to remaster the original albums. The companion discs were never meant to replace those. They were simply meant to provide insights into Zeppelin's recording process and the different things they tried before settling on the final versions we all know and love.

Also, since Zep has gone out of their way to provide as many purchasing options as possible so that people can get whatever they want or don't want (solo CD, deluxe CD, solo LP, Deluxe LP, solo hi-res, deluxe hi-res, or all of it together in one nifty package), I just don't see how ANYONE can possibly complain. But yet, here we are in this special thread created just for those who don't want to hear anymore complaints because there were so many of them. It's simply baffling to me.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Are the old copies vinyl or CD?

If vinyl and if you have any of the preferred masterings - RL or AT/GP - those are still worth a few bucks in sale or trade.

If CD and you have the original CDs - Diament or Sidore (for LZ IV) - those are still worth a few bucks in sale.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I really enjoyed the entire companion disc for Zep IV and the remastered HOTH cd compares favorably with my copy of the RL vinyl.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There's nothing really to complain about soundwise. They are better than all but early favoured pressings or the Classic Records versions. I think they could have been better all analogue but for a mass produced reissue at reasonable cost they are fine.

Tommyboy and tmtomh like this.
  18. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Finally I have in my hands the two 2LP set Deluxe Edition.
    Visually all is in perfect condition.
    I love the pictures inside gatefold cover.
    Not yet find the time to hear both albums and last night I only played The Battle, Four Sticks and Going to California from the LZ IV companion disc...
    What can I say...even if I haven't yet played all tracks form both the companion discs, I can easily confirm my previous statement, as for the last three: IMO for a guy like me, with all the originals UK and US first pressing in very clean condition, the worth here are the bonus material.
    I'm 48 age old and I'm happy like a child!
    Thanks Jimmy.

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeah, the whole "different flavors for different buyers" approach is a smart one. I've heard only one of the remasters (II) so far but have three others waiting to be cleaned and the fifth in the mail. The quality of the II LP is fantastic, and hearing it has made me re-evaluate my feelings about the band in general. I have always had a problematic relationship with Plant's voice (I still say we all would have been better off if Plant had written the lyrics and hired Ian Gillan to do the singing), and these guys and their fairly creepy Almost Famous-inspiring antics were just. so. freaking. ubiquitous during my 70s teens, and some of their core fanbase is, well, let's just say our values and worldview are rather at odds in some ways -- all that added up to a general sense of Zeppelin fatigue and distaste. Plus Jimmy still hasn't paid me back for the Chicago "food poisoning" incident, but let's not get into that again.

But this project and Page's whole charming, user-friendly latterday It Might Get Loud-ish persona have helped me shrug off some of that baggage and finally embrace the fun of blasting these ridiculous loud ponderous records and enjoying the songs and musicianship. If the remasters can win over a Zeppelin-skeptic like me, they must be doing something right.

20. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I am happy because these reissues are right on time for me... just got back into vinyl this year. Naturally I wanted some Zep, and after cringing at the asking prices for used LZ vinyl, early this year I tried my luck and got burned - twice. A fatally warped re-issue of III from the late 70's, and a copy of PG that has more whooshing in the background than an airport convention. And those weren't super cheap. So *now*, just a few months later, I have III & IV deluxe vinyl and all is well again. I'll get PG when that is released.

Almost the same story with the Beatles mono vinyl this year - even better timing for me, because those were my first Beatles vinyl purchases, and they are amazing. Re-issues can be a very good thing for when you aren't a superfan of a huge band, but still want a reasonable sounding album for less than a fortune.

Good thread!

21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

What's the overall consensus on the book content for all the releases so far? I already bought the deluxe CDs and don't have a record set up at the moment. But in super curious about the books, I like the ones with the velvet underground 45th reissues. Any of the albums have a book much better than the others? Or one a total waste? In theory i'd like to eventually 3, graffiti, and presence, then possibly 1 for the early pictures and 4.

22. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

One of my favorite things about the books in the super deluxe, is that in the press clippings they didn't shy away from their bad reviews. In the IV box, there's a 2.5 star review of the record that is hysterical, given how the album is viewed today, and even some of the concert reviews are less than favorable.

tmtomh, guidedbyvoices and Simon A like this.
  23. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Love the mastering, love the quiet vinyl, love the high quality pages in the books and the bonus discs are most interesting. Hi-Res downloads are icing on the cake.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Simon A like this.
  24. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Is it from the UK magazine Sounds? I think I remember them doing something like that.

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'm going for the deluxe editions only to hear what everyone seems to be loving about the bonus version of Stairway.

cement_head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.