I am happy with the Led Zeppelin reissues. The anti complaints thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingof punk1977, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It may not be apparent until the drums kick in :)

Stefan, Vinyl Fan 1973 and Simon A like this.
  2. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I actually enjoy most cd versions save some compilations I sampled.

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Indeed! I find the buildup and tempo acceleration on the alternate Stairway is more dramatic than the official version. The "wind on down the road" section really rocks! The guitar and drums are more forward plus Plants vocal seems rawer and sounds like it's a different take.

johnny q and Simon A like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'll break down the main differences I've heard.
    Lots of reverb on acoustic guitar.
    Single tracked voice at end.
    Guitar licks during last verse come in immediately.
    (I only heard it once but these are the apparent differences)

Simon A likes this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Amen Brother.

6. mongo

mongo Senior Member

You do realize what forum you're on, right? o_O
    In fact very few forums don't have a consistent contingent of people who are seemingly never satisfied, at least with the latest offerings.
    There's always the mythical, unobtanium cat number that is better than anything else in the real world or "The insert any artist,producer, etc. totally f'd this up and should have done it the way I want. The right way, the only way."
    You just have to sift through it, state your opinion if you like and not GAF about someone else's irrational rant.
    Believe me, in the 20 years I've been on the internet it has taken me a very long time to get over the knuckleheads and not go ballistic at times.
    I've taken extended breaks from here and other places because I was getting too wrapped up in the meaningless minutia of something that is normally one of my main sources of joy and has been since I was 5 years old.
    Music.
    This forum does have a ton and I mean a ton of useful, interesting information and very nice people.
    You just have to put up with the 2 tons of crap.
    Not a bad ratio considering.
    Simple.

7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Agreed. Stellar job on the remastering. Great warm detail and enhanced stereo field. Priced reasonably. Respectable DR readings. What's not to like?

johnny q, JimC, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's in the "Words and Phrases We Need To Stop Using" thread in the Off Topic board.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Jose Jones

Why did they get so worked up?

10. Jose Jones

I looked up Jake Holmes on Wikipedia, out of curiosity, and was surprised to learn that he is (1) still alive (age 75), and (2) started out as a white folkie from San Francisco*. I had always assumed that Holmes was an obscure bluesman like Page's other favorite "sources" for material.

*He later went on to write classic advertising jingles such as "Be A Pepper" (Dr Pepper) and "Be all that you can be" (Armed Forces), and was once in a trio with Joan Rivers.

Simon A likes this.
  11. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

The alt StH mix also has the clipped guitar note gone at 3:30. Makes the verse more subdued.

Keith V likes this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

Me I never complain very happy with all five Deluxe Japanese editions.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I meant to add to my previous post that the New Zep remasters are a total POS and Jimmy Page is an incompetent has-been

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Wrong thread Mr.Davies.

15. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I keed, I keed.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I like 'em! :righton:

[deleted][deleted]deleted] (I'm trying to stay positive and not complain about all those people who have complained about these CD's)

17. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Love the non-complaint thread. And I am loving the remasters.

I'm enjoying Zep more than ever and as I get older (44) I find that I like songs that I never cared for and skipped over years ago (In my time of dying, Trampled under foot, how many more times...) I love them all!

Companion discs are interesting and it seems like on other threads people are bashing Page about tracks on second discs...unreal.

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I wish we'd put "jumped the shark" in that thread. People still drag that tired phrase out here way too often.....:rolleyes:

Simon A likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yep, that's exactly what they are doing. I would have more sympathy for them if the 2CD versions cost a lot of extra money. But when you can get the 2CD version with the companion disc for just $2 or $3 more than the 1 CD version - and that $2-to$3-more price is still only $13 or $14 total - I find it hard to understand the scorn and vitriol some are heaping upon the companion disc tracks.

Plus, with the release of IV and Houses, the intended pattern is becoming clearer: As Page himself has said in a recent interview, they are not intended as "bonus tracks," but rather as what they're called - companion discs. And the Zep III, IV and Houses companion discs all play very well from beginning to end as alternate versions of the main albums, even if not every companion disc track is the most alternate or exciting thing on its own.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Agreed. Plus I'm thankful to Jimmy for giving us the companion discs, as I don't mind alternate versions to the songs I know and love. In fact, some of those alternative mixes I seem to prefer over the regular studio versions :hide:

tmtomh likes this.
  21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I got a chance to play the new CD versions of IV and Houses Of The Holy today at a good listening volume (I love it when everyone goes out on Saturdays afternoons) and was very pleased with the remastering. Welcome to the party John Paul Jones! Looking forward to Physical Graffiti, hope it's not too long.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I personally love the version of Dancing Days on the Houses companion disk, there is no drop out at the beginning and the drums are more clearer making the song more powerful as a whole

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Definitely. There are versions of out takes from the companion CDs from II, III, IV and HOTH that are just so pleasing to me. I respect another point of view, but it's interesting for me to hear that others are saying they won't spin these discs more than once or twice. I know I will, in fact since the first batch came out my favorite thing to do is play them back to back. Regular studio version followed by the companion disc. I'm certainly happy to have them, and I see no reason to complain, they didn't cost very much, and IMO you can never have too much Zeppelin.

24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Exactly. The sound is excellent, it is not expensive and the companion alt versions are as much of interest as, say a group from Liverpool's variations. I just received and listened to Houses of The Holies yesterday, loud, and it was grand.

25. Jose Jones

And it can only be whispered about very late at night, in hushed tones, from which you might make out a few words, like "Japan" and "pre-emphasis."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.