I am mastering Dio "HOLY DIVER" on Tuesday for Audio Fidelity, room for TWO guests.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

you are right:righton:

2. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I'll be there! Thank you, Steve! It's a great honor.

3. berndt

berndt Forum Resident

The AF reissue of Riots "Fire Down Under" sounds a lot better than the original pressing.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

very cool - take pictures if they'll let you, would love to see the sources used

5. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I'll be joining Steve and DrAftershave on Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks a lot, Steve.

6. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Can't wait to buy this one! Have fun Tuesday at the mastering session.

7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yes. It sounds better than the CD versions too. Kevin Gray really did great work with that one, and the vinyl is super quiet.

8. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I'm a HUGE Dio fan. Can't wait to hear what Steve can do with this.

All of the CD remasters of HOLY DIVER sound terrible.

The absolute best sounding CD of HOLY DRIVER is this West German pressing:

[​IMG]

9. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Is that a WG pressing? Looks like a more recent pressing. It's not an "atomic" and if I read correctly it says "Made in the EU by Cinram". Looks very nice.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have the fourth Japanese pressing (counting non-remastered reissues) with the same mastering. It also sounds good.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That's relative.... the original CD doesn't sound terrible.... but nearly unlistenable ;)

No CD pressing comes close to the original UK Vertigo and even this one is no sonic pleasure.

12. RemarkablyInsincere

It says West Germany on all the paperwork.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That tells you where the inserts were printed, not the disc. The disc does read "Made in the EU by Cinram". Other than that, it looks exactly like my "Made in France by PMDC" disc. That disc also has "West German" inserts.

14. RemarkablyInsincere

OK. Whatever the case, it's the best sounding Holy Diver CD out there. It's got some punch on the bottom end.

I think this CD will be a challenge for Steve as I really think the production leaves something to be desired.

15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I am both surprised and thrilled to hear that Steve is doing HOLY DIVER as it is certainly the best DIO album and one of the most memorable metal albums of the '80s period. I will own a copy without a doubt.

THE LAST IN LINE is a very good album while SACRED HEART marks a noticeable drop in quality, even if it's not too bad. I'd buy AF reissues of both if they put 'em out though.

16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Thank you again, Steve! I had a great day and a great time at the studio. I just emailed the pictures that didn't turn out like crap to get your approval to post them on the board/thread. It would be awesome to get a chance to do this again down the road...at least for another shot at those awesome burgers....er, I mean to see your wizardry and craft at work in the studio. ;) :D

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.