I am selling my 1964 Fisher 500C and 800C vacuum tube receivers! Take a look..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I have four Fisher tube receivers from the early 1960s. As you know I rave about the great 3D sound of the Fishers of this era (do a search on "FISHER" in our hardware section). I'm keeping my 1962 500B and 800B but must part with my 1964 500C and 800C or my wife will probably part with me.

The catch? Local pickup only. Come on over and take a look. I won't ship these beauties but if you want, find a local willing Forum member to ship to you. Life is too short and so is my back..:)

The FISHER 500C works great, in original great condition with fair cabinet (needs polishing up), right now powering my Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers with no problem (and those are hard speakers to drive). All tubes work, restored just enough to keep it stock and still work at its best. The volume knob is slightly uneven at very low level, typical problem. Turn it up past quiet and the balance is fine. Has a few extra tubes and an extra fuse holder. Nice front panel cosmetics. Really amazing sounding unit. Lovingly maintained all of these years.

The FISHER 800C is in good condition, beautiful cabinet, all manuals, even the original receipt and beat up yellow Fisher carton. A rare bird because of the AM as well as FM section. It plays nicely. Not many were sold... This came from a little old lady in San Diego that saved EVERYTHING all of these years. Never worked on but works fine as is...

Just a note: Both machines: All lights work, FM works, everything works. All original tubes unless they tested weak. I didn't cream out the good tubes and leave crap in their place like vintage gear sellers. Both machines have headphone jacks. The headphone output is creamy tubey goodness. Beautiful machines, both of them. If I didn't have two others I would never sell these 3D beauties. If I could I'd keep them all....

Here is a short video of an 800C on YouTube. You can see what the thing looks like all lit up. Play the video with the sound muted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBT_4_XuuPg&feature=related

Here is a page on the Fisher 500C and 800C units:

http://members.cox.net/archangele666/fisher.htm

I hate to see these go but I have NO more room for toys. With three kids, two dogs, and two adults running around, even this big house is getting a little close...

I paid $750.00 for the 500C and the same for the 800C. I'll sell 'em to you for the same. The price is low (these days) and if they ever need a little bit of work, you can still come out way ahead of some eBay weirdness. These sound positively amazing. Vocals come alive and I ain't kidding. They don't make them like these any more..

Two great units, ready for playing, all strong tubes, all great holographic Fisher sound. If you want one or both and you live elsewhere, find a young and strong SH Forums member who lives in So Calif. that you can bribe with CDs or vinyl to ship to you!

Lemme know about these machines. I might change my mind next week!

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Oh man, you can bet that I'd be all over these if I lived near you. I've been wanting either a 500 or 800 Fisher tube, since buying my wonderful little Scott 299b. You just can't have enough of these wonderful classic tube amps around. Good luck to whomever is lucky enough to buy 'em, the price is crazy low for these baby's and you know if they are from Steve's own collection, they are in primo condition.

Chris C

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Very nice.

4. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I agree about saving your back. I found a Fisher X-1000 on the streets of Brooklyn several months ago and had to carry it many blocks back home. Let's say it was enough blocks that I had to drop the radio counterpart it came with (by the time I went back for it, it was gone). I was sore for a few days after I brought that thing home.

I almost can't listen to music on anything but the Fisher since I found it. It's that good.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

People both of these are incredible. If you want to venture into tube and/or vintage this is the best way to go. I own the same 500C and it's a monster. Steve is right when he talks about 3D. Seriously if you live anywhere Steve or you can find somebody to ship to you I would highly recommend you jumping on one or both of these. Plus, how cool to be able to say you bought it from Steve Hoffman?

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Do not pass up a chance to own a Fisher 500C. It's one of the best audio investments I have made.

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Dang. I would love to take advantage of this offer. Thing is, I have Magnepan MMGs and I don't think they would be a good match so I would probably have to buy different speakers. AM/FM reception in my area is terrible so the tuner would be almost useless. I have a refurbished Sansui QRX 9001 that sounds wonderful but it is just sitting on the shelf unused ever since I sold my large Advents. oh well...

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

So you are keeping your 400? :D

9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Even Steve has to satisfy a WAF. what is the world coming to.

10. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would say "DON'T DO IT" Steve...But these are gems of recievers at a great price. I have a 500C (I bought after Steve's praise here) It's made my music life a richer experience without the cost of a vintage McIntosh Tube.

11. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Very cool. I may eventually look for one of those to match with my '60s turntable.

12. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

what's the output per channel?

if i were to use this after being used to a marantz 2250, would it be a comparable volume??

13. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

The 500C is roughly 30-35w RMS. Your 2250 is 50.
    You may have to turn the volume on the Fisher slightly higher to get the same SPL. But I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the two, based on SPL.

I switched from a 2270 to a 500B and the Fisher got just as loud, but sounded better while doing it.

I agree with the Steve, the sound of these old Fishers, are glorious. And is something to behold.

One question for Steve. Do either of these units have the 'Big Number' faceplate glass?

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

35 wpc. It will sound great with just about anything. The 2250 is also a very fine receiver, but it's the tube magic that will amaze. Here's a write up by Stereophile from a while back:http://www.stereophile.com/historical/605fisher

15. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yes.

I have a 500-B and a Marantz 2230 and the Fisher plays a tad louder. It's extremely holographic, too. :love:

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I live near you. I'll pay you to go pick it up for me.

17. ssmith3046

If I didn't need my job I would pick it up for you.

18. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I live in Tucson, If you want to meet me here I'll go pick them up for you. Always ready for a road trip. ;)

Chad

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I live a few miles from Steve. I guess these would need to be double boxed, tubes removed and labeled and packaging purchased (why must Office Depot charge 28 bucks for a roll of bubble wrap? Anyone know a cheaper place for bubble?) I guess I could pick up and ship, but it would probably be about four or five hours of my time invested and some running around. And then shipping costs. How much do these weigh? But if you really want one, you could pm me and we could talk.

20. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

PM sent on the 500C.

21. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

The 500C is still available. I changed my mind. If an out of town forum member wants to buy it, I could pick it up and ship it.

22. I've picked up bubble wrap at both Target and UPS stores at a much lower rate than $28 for a roll.

23. ssmith3046

Those transformers are HEAVY.

24. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

do you have experience shipping stuff like this?

any idea what the shipping cost would be?

i'm kinda interested in this. i've never owned a tube stereo amplifier before. and if it used to belong to steve, and he vouches for it's condition, that's would make it extra cool!

25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I just received a(no cabinets either) Hardman Kardon Award Series F500X FM/AM receiver, and the Hardman Kardon A500 pre-amp from my father's estate. Both of them need going thru and cleaned up. I used to listen to it back in 1967-68, sure was nice and warm. The speakers he had were JBL Type L Lancers. They are pretty good, they need re-coning.
    How does the Fisher match up to the Harman Kardon I have hear, anybody? I'm guessing it could cost me about $300-$400 to get them in shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.