I Am Sick Of Record Company's Unfair Practices!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

High prices. Dodgy releases. Dodgy music.
    But this, for me, tonight, is the straw that breaks the camel's back and my back to go with it.

"The 50th anniversary Record Store Day limited edition of McCartney was pressed from a master cut by Miles Showell at half speed using the original 1970 master tapes at Abbey Road Studios."

Oh, good, let's make less of something we want people to buy more of. OK, other than that, all good, right? Then the next sentence:

"It was made as a vinyl specific transfer in high resolution and without digital peak limiting for the best possible reproduction."

Ah, OK, you're going to take the ORIGINAL TAPES and CONVERT THEM TO DIGITAL to cut them to RECORD. And, unlike past times when you would hide that fact, it is now a SELLING POINT? What the ....?

AND ..... and then they mention that there's no digital limiting for the best possible reproduction. While I'm extremely pleased that they didn't use it for this release, I now want to know that if they KNOW that limiting DEGRADES THE SOUND then WHY THE ABSOLUTE **** are they using it on EVERY OTHER ****ING RELEASE?

This is the SECOND record I've seen in the last few weeks that was "cut from the original analogue master tapes transferred to high resolution". And with prices for these things going at (at least) $50 a pop here, often more, they want to know why sales are down? This is why! Get it through your thick heads what people want!

Apologies for the swearing but I am SICK of this BULL**** and not for the first time. But I'm going to stop here before I go on a long winded rant.

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Take it easy man. There are more important things in life than this

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Pretty common 'forum' knowledge those half speeds are all sourced from digital. Probably has a left channel bias as well :winkgrin:

klockwerk, Jarleboy, Peachy and 7 others like this.
  4. tomd

tomd Senior Member

A few truths about major labels and reissues in 2020:

1.Most of the “ classic rock” albums on cd and vinyl up till the last 20 years or so we’re made when rights to these albums were dirt cheap by comparison hence the abundance of album choices.

2.Major label companies cannot afford to do new remasters for cd (NOT selling numbers to justify) so they turn to records they CAN do

3.So they max out these limited titles (different color in the case of vinyl,picture discs,useless bonus tracks,questionable improvement in sound quality,more pictures etc) to justify high prices.

4.To sum it up most Physical media reissues of “classic rock” era titles are a ripoff sold to boomers and completists who stay within this genre of music and will buy just about anything made available.

Boswell, peter, ARK and 15 others like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Talk about kicking someone when they’re down.

:D

Galaga King, BrentB, Jarleboy and 8 others like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Are bommers the demo buying these vinyl reissues, though? I assume those are aimed at millenials.

7. c-eling

:laugh:
    Kat's been here long enough to know better....
    I hear his pain, pretty much why I don't bother with LP remaster's from run of the mill major label's.

8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Take your complaints to the label, not us.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Are millennials THAT interested in Paul’s 70’s output, beyond streaming?

What amazes me is the number of niche and deep catalogue titles getting a vinyl re-release. Hot August Night III? Moody Blues Live at the Isle of Wight? I’d think that devoted fans of these artists would already own these titles.

Gdgray likes this.
  10. tomd

tomd Senior Member

see my point #2

Drekow likes this.
  11. KatCassidy

I would but they've gone deaf from listening to 20+ years of their own crap!

12. c-eling

Hit em where it hurts-return stating "Unfit For Use"

KatCassidy likes this.
  13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Used record stores are the ticket to happiness. I never order any of this Record Store Day stuff, and the few times I did it became an overpriced object to display, not music to listen to.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My McCartney LP is knackered. I’m looking forward to getting this one. :hide:

Old Rusty, FJFP and Tommyboy like this.
  15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Just re-needledropped some of my Rolling Stones box and thought either I was going deaf, my cartridge was dying, or my headphones were dying. Good to know it's really just on the disc. Didn't notice the bias with my Shure M35x, but my M91ED picks it up.

danielbravo and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

I have three 1/2's with this issue (different artists/bands) I'm done with them.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Or the 60hz bass hum on some of the mfsl Beatles lp's.
    Remember that debacle???
    Should just go for a mint UK pressing in nm condition.
    Beave
    Betcha that would sound good.

c-eling likes this.
  18. KatCassidy

Yes! I found my local, indie new-and-used music store a couple of years ago (after they moved from an obscure location - turns out they've been around 15 years!) and I've never bought more music in my life nor been happier, music wise, for it!

Old Rusty, HotHere and c-eling like this.
  19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Paul’s albums the last 20 years overall haven’t sounded the greatest. Although there are some songs on Egypt Station that have very good dynamics. Others not so much. I’m very appreciative that a cassette version was released of Egypt Station. But don’t think he’s a big analog sound quality guy.

20. c-eling

Or stick with the old 87 discs (for way cheaper) :D
    How've ya been Beave, I don't see you on the music side of the forum very often, hope all is well man!

The Beave likes this.
  21. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

No matter what you play them on they always sound slow.

c-eling likes this.
  22. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

This engineer at Abbey Road explains why digital source is better for half speed mastering as the limiter can be used specifically to get rid of vocal sibilance without affecting other high tones.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Many, many more things.

FJFP, PopularChuck, Myke and 4 others like this.
  24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I’ll be in line for this on RSD.

25. c-eling

If anything it worked on Gabriel's So :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.