I bought a Projector

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by handle, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handle

handle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a Compaq MP1200 for $740.

It's a front projector, 1000 lumens, XVGA resolution, manual zoom, DVI Input, VGA input (with pass through), Composite and S-video. 400:1 contrast ratio.

I also bought the Home Theater Kit option which includes a component input cable.

I am using it mainly for Video Games and computer projection.

The picture is great for those uses, but it's just tokay for home video since the black levels are a little gray. It's very noticeable on the Monsters Inc. disc when using the THX settings. When you do the test that has the THX logo in the background in very faint gray it's very hard to see on the projector.

But, hey $740 dollars is the price of a decent 36" TV (decent for games), and I am enjoying the 90" image.

And Karaoke is fun with it too.

-Tom

Attached Files:

2. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

You will always have this (little) problem, because with video projection, the blackest black of the picture won't be any darker than the whitest white of the wall you are projecting it to...
    But apart from this: Welcome to the club!

3. handle

You know, that's IT!! You can't see thewhite because my wall is white.

Now I like it even more :))

This sunday: Karaoke party at my house.

-Tom

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Looks great! Projectors are cool, people are always amazed when they see mine. They are the only true way to go "big screen"!

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Turn the couch around before viewing! :D

6. handle

Actually I can't. The projector is on my computer desk and is projecting over the couch. If I projected the other way it would hit the monitors.

So I have another couch at a 90 degree angle that you can sit on the very end to watch it. Or I just sit on my computer chair. Again, it's set up for video games. My house is not set up to have a free projection area and a computer desk.

-Tom

Attached Files:

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Actually, CRT-based projectors have much blacker blacks than typical DLP/D-ILA digital projectors. Of course, light control (opaque blinds!) is a must, but nothing inherent in projection itself prevents proper black levels.

That said, if I were buying a front-projector today, I'd buy one like Tom's. And a few years down the road, I'd replace it with a good 3-chip digital (or LCoS) display that will have much better picture quality...without spending $20,000+ like I would today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.