I built a record wet-cleaning platter from a lazy susan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I like to use Mobile Fidelity One record cleaner on my records occasionally. I've found it works best if you liberally apply it. I've been doing them on a spare table, but I've had a couple spills, so I decided it was time to create something that would let me spin a record while I applied the fluid and use a brush. I looked into building something complicated, but I stumbled upon a heavy duty Pu Pu platter lazy susan at a thrift store and inspiration struck. $9 in materials later I have a nice device to wet clean on worry free. It's not $500 Nitty Gritty, but works fine for my basic fluid and Discwasher brush technique.

Poison_Flour, tin ears, Dino and 4 others like this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Excellent! :righton:

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Great job! For a simple cleaning system, that should work quite well. Many years ago, before I bought a Nitty Gritty, I used the Discwasher brush and cleaning fluid to clean records. I think it is the best brush used to clean records without a vacuum liquid removal system. A friend of mine, who has a pretty big collection (he recently pared the collection down to the "essential" 12,000 or so records), only uses the Discwasher brush to clean his records and they are all in very good shape. I am less thrilled with dry brushes which mostly just push the dust around, don't dig deeply into the grooves, don't utilize a liquid to dissolve and suspend crap for removal, and tend to just create a static charge.

I hope that when you figure out how to motorize that platter, you make another video.

4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Fantastic!

Thank you for sharing!

5. Ghostworld

I was using it this morning and it's perfect for my use. I treasure my Discwasher brushes and I want to try get some records really wet so I ordered one of those MOFI cleaning brushes as the pads are cheap, replaceable and they are still made. Looking forward to trying it out. Some people swear by them. Going to save my Discwashers for the near-dry, drying process to avoid over saturating them.

PS. I located the exact lazy susan I found, it was from a Pu Pu plater food server, but a Casa Moda S'mores maker. It's a nice lazy susan. Really heavy steel which adds some inertia when spinning it. Much sturdier than some others I looked at.

6. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

7. Ghostworld

Sorry, I made a change to that video and deleted it. Here's the updated one.

boboquisp and arisinwind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.