"I can't believe I bought that!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roscoe, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

As the old saying goes:

"One man's meat, is another man's poison". Taste is subjective.
    :)

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You forgot Sgt Pepper's, Abbey Road, A Night at The Opera and Rumors.:D

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I too bought Debby Gibson's Atlantic debut. I don't have it anymore. Glad too, because if I went to sell it now, no one would take it from me.

Hey, I was a club Dj for a while, and for a whole weekend, I had to play Tone Loc's "Wild Thing" in loop for my pay. Another man's meat, definately, but sometimes I love cheeze. :D

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Hey, you're right. I did forget Rumours (sold that back in the early '80's). I never owned anything by Queen (thank god!). I love the Beatles (wouldn't part with those).

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:shh: Shh! Don't tell anyone but I tend to agree with you on some of that.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, what DO you like? Country?

7. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member Thread Starter

Actually, Debbie Gibson's debut album wasn't too bad for its genre and pretty impressive for a 16 year old . It had an innocent charm to it, and the fact that she wrote all the songs, co-produced and played some of the instruments gave her some credibility. Only In My Dreams actually holds up fairly well, and Foolish Beat is solid late 80s ballad material. Shake Your Love? - well, it was catchy at the time.

Unfortunately, her follow-ups failed to recapture the magic.

But I still think Debbie had it all over Tiffany in the talent department in the showdown of late 80s teen queens.

8. Grant

I disagree.

Why is it that people always have few good, if anything, to say about music that is not geared towards them?

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

No, I'm not a big country fan. I just have gotten over music that only teenage boys in the late '70's could have liked. That stuff reminds me of a Wayne's World episode. I gave a pretty detailed look at my musical tastes in a thread from a few weeks back (name your 100 favorite albums), but I'll summarize some of my favorite rock artists (I'll bet most are shared by a lot of people on this forum): Neil Young, Richard Thompson, Beatles, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd, U2, REM, Elton John, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Genesis (w/ Peter Gabriel), Peter Gabriel, Allmans, Talking Heads, Pretenders, Kate Bush, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Bruce Cockburn, Gomez, etc...

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I fell under the spell of "Rush Rush" and bought Paula Abdul's Spellbound CD. I hated everything else she did, and I hated every other song on that CD. It took me forever to find someone who'd give me even 50 cents for that disc, but I gladly took it ...

11. Grant

Well, are you saying that the above named groups couldn't appeal to a teenager? They appealed to me when I was a teenager. Also, to suggest that "only teenage boys in the late 70s could have liked (it)", you insult everyone else, including we who were teens at that time, who still like it.

12. Grant

This thread runs a serious risk of causing dissension on this board. I'm outta here!

13. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I have a lot of things in my collection that would raise eyebrows amongst the music elitists, but I still like for some reason or other, including my entire Christian Death collection, and CDs by folks as diverse as Rick Astley, Amy Grant, Barry Manilow, Paula Abdul, Mariah Carey, Def Leppard and the Carpenters. I don't display them proudly but there they are, buried in my collection along with all the more respected artists...

14. Grant

Carpenters, Def Leppard and Barry Manilow get much respect at my house! Mariah Carey is very popular around where I live.

15. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

I think the point of this thread is not so much music we like or dislike, but how we can, on impulse, end up with CDs / LPs that might not otherwise "fit in" with our usual musical tastes. I mentioned the ABBA box set, and the Esquireta CD. I do like ABBA, I just find it strange that I felt the need at the time to go with the four CD set, instead of a hits package. Probably the discouned price in the BMG catalog had a lot to do with that.
    As for Esquireta, another CD I mentioned on my list, here is an artist that had no hits, who's sole LP is worth hundreds of dollars, who's music I had read about but never actually heard. So, I'm at a record show a few years ago and see this CD still sealed in the longbox for $4.00, and soon it is in my collection. It's an interesting listen, indeed, but if it weren't for the great price, I probably would have never bought it.

16. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member

I haven't listened to it in a while, I'll give it another listen...maybe it will grow on me...

Yes, it's the one with "Down the Dolce Vita".

I like all the other Peter Gabriel albums, and I do consider him a musical genius...just didn't get into this particular album..but will give it another spin now!!

17. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member

Yes, it is.

I gave it another spin because I haven't listened to it in a while and I still don't like it....to each his own.

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

That's not fair. You only listened to 29 minutes of a 42 minute CD! :D

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right. To each his own.

20. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

How about THIS single!!! And it's a mint promo copy, too.

21. PMC7027

I'm sorry the image is so large. It was my first attempt to send a picture.

22. PMC7027

Here is the label of a single I bet none of you have ever seen!

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I once bought a CD by Ian McCullough, CANDLELAND, thinking I was buying a CD by some woman whose name I couldn't remember from a positive review.

I hated that CD so much after, maybe, two songs -- weepy, English art student pity-party with synths and drum machines -- I forsook the few bucks it would have been worth used and bent it in my hand until it snapped into a thousand pieces. Better the planet were rid of such vileness than to accept $4 from the used CD store.

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

For me "The Eminem Show". If I was 20 I could see me buying it, but I'm 44. I bought the Ltd. Edition new on Ebay for $12, opened it, listened to it, said "What the Hell was I thinking?", relisted it a month later & sold it for $15.

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

When I was in high school a my friends and I once rented Vanilla Ice's movie Cool As Ice. We were only going to watch it to have a good laugh but just the experience of walking up to pay for the rental is something I discussed in therapy:laugh: The look on that girl's face when she saw the title was a combination of pity and disappointment.

After we'd seen the flick we were all surprised because the movie was actually... a lot worse than any of us expected. If you only have two hours to live put this flick in because they'll seem like a friggin' eternity. Everyone responsible for creating this movie should be strung up by their go-betweens. Little kids should be lined up to point and giggle. Great shame should be put on their ancestors. You get the picture. What made it worse was Michael Gross was in it which won't bring legitimacy to anything. He's like that uncle you don't tell anyone about. He's a nasty, bitter, lonely balding old man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.