I Can't Play Hybrids On My Computer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeP5877, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop with a CD/DVD player/burner. It doesn't recognize hybrid SACD's. Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No.

DVD drives look at the SACD-specific layer and get stuck. It does not plainly give up and then look at the CD layer.

The TOC (Table of contents) of an SACD is encrypted, and is flooked up when you put an SACD in a DVD-playable drive, about 97% of the time. That's because SACDs use both the technology and the file system of a DVD, but with freaky encryption.

Nothing you can do (except make a backup of the CD layer on another computer and play that)

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Yep - that's what I do. I burn it using my stand alone and then rip that to the PC.

Thanks!

4. IBN_Music

IBN_Music New Member

honestly i don't know why it could happen but i have a CD/DVD player/burner too and it reads my SACD hybrid very well...it could be the design or manufactory process... God I wish my Car Stereo would play CD RW :D...

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

A few PC DVD drives will read hybrids, but the vast majority will not. Perhaps this balance will shift over the next couple of years.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Our Plextor DVD ROM will read them just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.