I destroyed a nice CD by cleaning it - Part II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

What do you folks do to eliminate scratching? I have CDs that have light scuffing. Is this fixable?

2. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The cheaper plastic CD cases used these days can also cause scratches easy, I prefer the old type CD case with the black tray, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Do they skip?

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nothing is perfect or forever. :laugh:

SteveM likes this.
  5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Just get a green magic marker and color the outside edge instead. Instant HD!

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I never clean my CDs because I'm always careful holding them on the edges only. My oldest CD is 30 years old or so and is still in mint condition.

Alan2, hi_watt and Heavy Music like this.
  7. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

People clean CDs?

8. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Here is my CD cleaning procedure (usually for used CDs that are covered in fingerprints etc.)

Using standard alcohol based liquid hand soap (no grit!):

- Wash hands thoroughly (important!)

- Apply a small amount of soap directly to disc

- Rinse disc under warm running water, spread soap over entire disc (both sides) rubbing lightly with soapy thumbs - keep the disc wet

- When disc is rinsed of soap, shake off and dry with paper towel - inspect under bright light

- Repeat if necessary

Apart from a couple of Nimbus discs, I have yet to ruin a disc with this method. The paper towel doesn't seem to scratch the surface, and the soap is just enough to get rid of fingerprints.

The_Windmill likes this.
  9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I've had some that were unplayable and cleaned them up with rubbing compound and polish. Actually works OK for some, and if it doesn't and the disc was already unplayable, what have you lost?

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IMHO I would only attempt to clean a CD either if it wasn't ripping properly (EAC T&C with CueTools and AccurateRip verification) or if it wasn't playing on a CD player. Otherwise I just leave them alone.

11. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

They fail when ripping.

12. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

You'll have to ask the person who created that video. I must admit I kind of want to try his process. I figure cleaning a CD, as long as you are careful and don't add scratches, can't possibly hurt and perhaps can only help. But I'm as skeptical as anyone that it would actually help. It just seems far-fetched.

I do have one CD (a Patricia Barber Cafe Blue gold disc) that my CD player will not read at all. And it has no scratches on it (I bought it brand new). It's the only disc my player has had an issue with. Probably doesn't hurt to give it a thorough cleaning and then another shot at playing, just for kicks. While it doesn't look dirty, maybe there is something on the surface that I can't see that is preventing playback.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

At one time I used that Russ Andrews Reveel stuff. Makes little if any difference to sound so I no longer bother unless a CD gets contaminated. They tend to stay clean transferring straight from case to player.

14. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I use cotton wool, no fluid. I rarely clean them -- not necessary. I have a new CD with a thumbprint on, but am scared to tackle it in case I damage the surface. It's a Japanese import.

Even cotton wool can attack the surface if you press too hard.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Never cleaned a cd other than to wipe it on my shirt if I noticed something on it. I don't think I've ever used any liquid, and I have 30-year-old cds that play perfectly. Perfect forever? I don't know, but I bet they outlive me.

showtaper likes this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thanks, simple enough...

So, when looking in the used bins, it sounds like this is another "warning flag" to look out for... when inspecting the disc inside.

Too bad there wouldn't be a symbol or an icon on the outer CD artwork.

17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Never heard of "cotton wool" and had to google it. They are two different things to us in the west. Translation for the rest of the US members, absorbent cotton.

Alan2 likes this.
  18. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

A few beads of water and a soft cloth that you clean reading glasses, that is all you need. If you want to spend money on machines and special sprays, be my guest.

showtaper likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I thought everyone did it that way. CD's, camera lenses, glasses, smartphones.

Or maybe I'm just lazy.

showtaper likes this.
  20. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Never come across a cd that needed cleaning.

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I didn't mean to say it's unusual, I meant that (to me at least) it was surprisingly safe. If it doesn't scratch an expensive camera lens, then it seemed reasonable that it wouldn't leave a mark on a CD, and so far that's been the case for me.

Gaslight likes this.
  22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, moisture, fingerprints etc.

Anyone can suggest me a good soft cloth to cleaning? Tiger Cloth? the thing is believe me every micro fiber cloth that I use leave marks.

But from now I stop use liquids, I prefer keep it dry.
    photographer use this to remove dust, maybe works for cds

Amazon.com : Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black : Camera Cleaning Kits : Camera & Photo

Yes people should cleaning cds when get moisture, fingerprints etc.

Anyone can suggest me a good soft cloth to cleaning? Tiger Cloth maybe (I never tried) Amazon.com : Kinetronics Anti-Static Tiger Cloth Large (250x450mm) [KE0120L] : Camera & Photo

or maybe Chamois: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Drying Chamois - 2 Pack: Automotive

All the actual micro fiber cloths that I use leave marks :(

But from now and after read this I stop use liquids SHINOLA, I prefer keep it dry!

23. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner and Clear Plastic Polish. These are made to clean and polish covertable car top windows. It does a great job of polishing out scratches as well. You can bring a disk back to life from skips. Its a watery grey liquid. I use it on a paper towel or a micro-fib cloth.

24. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

This is the first time I've ever heard of the label side problems with Nimbus CDs (which I've never heard of before).

It sounds very much like a minor issue I found years ago on my Keith Richards Talk Is Cheap 3 x 3" CD collector's tin. Just got it out and sure enough the Cds are made by Nimbus.

Ephi82 likes this.
  25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.