I didn't know that!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Not music related but interesting. The scene in Live and Let Die where Bond escapes the crocodiles by running across their backs was a real stunt performed by a stuntman with real crocs.

john lennonist and altaeria like this.
  2. All the guitar solos on Aerosmith's cover version of "Train Kept A Rollin' " was done by Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter, not Joe Perry or Brad Whitford!

ML: Let’s talk about your career – one of your first ‘ghostings’ was on Aerosmith’s 'Get Your Wings' album and the song ‘Train Kept A Rollin’’.

DW: “That’s correct, but it’s not really common knowledge.”

ML: Aerosmith never talk about it...

DW: “They never talk about it, but they acknowledge it when I’m around.”

ML: How does a guitarist come in and replace Joe Perry?

DW: “I was living in New York. Bob Ezrin and Jack Douglas needed some guitar playing, so they called me up and I went down to the studio and played. It’s real simple. Joe Perry wasn’t there neither was Steven Tyler although I had met them and knew them from before, in Boston, when I was living there. It’s not like I was a total stranger. They just needed somebody to play certain parts and I was there... and so was Steve Hunter. We both did that for them.”

ML: Could Joe not play the parts or was he not ‘available’?

DW: “I don’t know, but I’ll have to assume that he wasn’t available for whatever reason. I’m not saying that I actually think he could play the stuff we actually played, at least, not at that time. Steve & I had a lot more experience and had been playing a lot longer and at a higher level than what they were doing right then.”

ML: It’s become a signature riff – does it bother you that you didn’t get credit?

DW: “No, not really. There’s a shadow of bad feeling there, but not really. Each thing you do propels you forward in your career, so it didn’t hurt me. It would have been nice to have been given credit, but in the grand scale of the music business what does it really matter? Lots of musicians have ghosted for things and never gotten credit and that’s just the way it is.”

www.sickthingsuk.co.uk

3. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Ditto "It's Only Rock And Roll", IIRC

4. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

That's Billy's contention. This has not been corroborated by anyone.
    Ellie Greenwich denies this. :angel:

5. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Gamble & Huff may be on the credits, but...

john lennonist likes this.
  6. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Just for argument's sake, who would be more likely to remember this? The young piano player, just starting a career as a session musician, or a veteran songwriter, who probably had nothing to do with choosing the musicians? :)

7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Got me? I'm just pointing out that there is no corroborating proof. Though Billy would've been 13 or 14 years old at the time, it was recorded. I think someone would remember a session player that young.

If you choose to believe Billy, so be it. I don't have an opinion either way.

8. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

He would have been 15, and may not have been noticed strictly because of a youthful appearance.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, there is no corroborating proof for much of the sessionography of this era, at least that I'm aware of. Much of it was not well-documented at the time, and many details will always be murky.

Also, people may not remember what songs they played on because of the sheer volume of songs, because they were not yet the hits we know and love today, the memory loss that comes with age, and the memory enhancement that comes with self-promotion. :)

9. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Something interesting I saw on a Rick James bio (VH1 'Behind the Music' probably) is that Rick and Neil Young were in a band together in the 60s in Canada (Rick was up there evading the draft). They were a funky outfit who actually had a chance to sign with Motown, but Rick would have had to leave Canada for that, so the band fizzled out instead. Dont know how true it is, but it came straight outta Rick James' mouth

10. Skip Reynolds

Here's a couple, all of which I think I've posted in other threads.

1- Chip Taylor, who wrote "Wild Thing", is Jon Voight's brother, therefore Angelina Jolie's uncle.

2- Duane Allman was left-handed, but played guitar in standard right-handed position.

3- Seals & Croft (or one of them) was a member of The Champs. But not when "Tequila" was recorded. I think.

11. Skip Reynolds

also:

"Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" has the line "there was a band called The Jokers they were layin' it down" (more or less word for word); Derringer's lyric refers to an actual band, whose lead guitarist was Dickie Betts.

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Both Jimmy and Dash were in the Champs. Also in the band was Glen Campbell. Apparently Jimmy and Dash joined just after Tequilia was recorded.

Every now and then they'd play a version of Tequila during sound checks.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

It's true enough. The band was called The Mynah Birds. I have two songs on an old cassette that somebody recorded for me long ago. Not really very funky ....actually 60s surfish instrumentals.

14. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Do you mean David Sarnoff, the commercial radio and television pioneer who founded NBC? He is often credited (controversally) as one of the first radio operators to have captured Titanic distress signals. I don't know if he was credited with inventing anything like a picture disc. Maybe it was one of the other radio operators that April day?

From Wikipedia:

Here's something pretty amazing you may not know. There is still one Titanic survivor, 97-year-old Millvina Dean.

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

And Alice Cooper was good friends with Fred Astaire. :)

16. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Adolf Hitler played comb on intro/outro by the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Scott Baio played drums on the Beach Boys Kokomo. Or was that John Stamos? :laugh:

18. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Who did Jim Gordon kill?

19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Wow, I did NOT know any survivors were still living! What a cool thread.

21. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

The Billboard Book says Henley, Frey and a couple of the others were part of Linda Ronstadt's backup band too.

22. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Well, It looks like he's up for parole right about now.

Nothing like a good a Derek & The Dominos reunion to put one's past behind him. ;)

23. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

See post # 31

Rene: Maybe you're confusing this with the Squires (Neil's former band) recording. There is one out there that IS basically a surfer instrumental. The Mynah Birds single sounds like what it is. A white rock band with a black funky singer.

24. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That was Kenney Jones, wasn't it?

25. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Joe Satriani sang backing vocals on several tracks on the Crowded House debut album, released in 1986 - including the big hit 'Don't Dream It's Over'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.