I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Dickey's greatness continued with the ABB's 1990's run - he takes the first solo here, and in my mind tears the roof off.

ssmith3046 and Clanceman like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

I'm watching this, and I'm hearing a solo that's pretty rhythmically straight, and limited in the use of register. It's not a bad solo, but nothing, other than a decent musical phrase, that grabs my ear. There's not much, methodically or rhythmically, that is unusual or surprising to my ears.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  3. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Well-Known Member

If Duane is on slide here, then Dickey is playing some of the most bad-ass guitar i've ever heard!
    If it's Dickey playing the slide...it is Most Excellent as well.

Either way, Dickey is pretty damn good!

superstar19 likes this.
  4. That does not make any sense... listen again.

5. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. If it's Duane on slide, then Dickey's playing the amazing non-slide stuff.

Bruce Mulle' likes this.
  6. Kevin, no problem... I was just making my statement to the thread/OP.

kevinsponge likes this.
  7. He's Dickey Betts and that's enough for me.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Forum Resident

Check out the bonus live show on the Brothers And Sisters (2 cd set) - Betts really showed what a great player he was after Duane died.

Yankeefan01, ssmith3046 and Bill Mac like this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why doesn't it make any sense? Duane is on slide to the right and Dickey is on lead to the left. I agree that Dickey does sound good on that version of One Way Out. It's interesting that Duane was normally recorded in the left channel and Dickey to the right. Just as they were normally standing on stage. I still enjoy Duane's playing to Dickey's but he is still an excellent player. In later years I really came to dislike Derek Trucks guitar playing with ABB. Much prefer Warren's playing as well as Dickey's to Derek's.

groundharp likes this.
  10. Sorry.. I can't seem to hear you, Dickey is wailing away in my living room as we speak on the stereo.

11. Bill- I was just making a statement re: the thread op.
    Not to any other statements, I actually concur with what you said,
    but check out just above... had to do the same.... must be more clear and concise.

The ABB are superb, and those first shows memorable. Duane and Dicky were something to see and hear.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sorry about that! I thought your post was in regard to kevinsponge's post about the One Way Out clip.

Bruce Mulle' likes this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I loved Derek when he first got big now I find his playing somewhat boring

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 100%. I'm not a guitar player and never will be one. But the issue I have with his playing is it almost always sounds somewhat the same. As you pointed out boring.

jwb1231970 and Humbuster like this.
  15. segue

segue Forum Resident

Yes, that's Dickey playing the lead, Duane plays slide throughout.

[​IMG]
    Derek Trucks, Duane Betts, and Dickey Betts
    You really should check out Duane Betts. He looks and sounds like his dad, it's amazing!

16. jwb1231970

I think he would be more interesting if he stopped playing slide and just play standard guitar

Hardy Melville and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. Not knowing much about Derek Trucks but how is his lead guitar playing skills?

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm listening two disc 2 from The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings Blu-ray set in 5.1 and Duane and Dickey are ripping it up :)! So is the rest of the band as well! Sad to think that only three of the original six are still with us :shake:.

19. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Really outstanding, at least with the Brothers, you should check him out on You Tube.

His personality is quiet and laidback, but when he starts playing, he's got everybodys (including the musicians on stage) attention.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Exiled On Main Street

[​IMG]Here's a good place to try & understand....

MYKE likes this.
  21. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Different strokes for different folks....

I thought Trucks really continued to develop as a player in the ABB, bringing new and different phrasings to the same old warhorses.
    Love Warren Haynes, the guy can do it all, great arranger, and is a hard working man, no doubt, but to me, he hasn't advanced that much as a player through the years, same old licks and runs he's been always doing.
    Actually like him better with the Mule than the Brothers, but that's my preference.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. jwb1231970

He plays still in an open E tuning, same that he uses for slide but I find to be generally more interesting than when he's playing slide. I think the slide playing has been what's made him more known though. To be fair, when he's not playing Allman stuff the slide lends itself nicely to an almost East Indian style that really separates him from others. But yeah, Warren is just as good when doing the Allman stuff.

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for your insightful posts as they will prompt me to look closer at Derek's playing. I've seen AAB a number of times and a few of those were with Derek playing.

24. Dicky is ducky.

25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I believe it's a kind of a Zen thing or something... When a player is truly great, he (or she) is able to manifest his (or her) greatness in such a way that it's not the greatness you pay attention to but music. Those players who make the listener focus on the greatness of the individual musicians, maybe aren't that great after all.

MoonPool likes this.