I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

my thought exactly, I was going to post that reply if someone else didn't

ARK and husafreak like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

To "understand" all one really has to do is listen to the band with him and then without him. I have been fortunate enough to seem them several times in both configurations. It kind of comes down to taste, touch and listening to the other players. While he may not be a jaw dropping virtuoso in the order of Al Di Meola but he was a critical part of the sound and structure. More of a band leader than he is ever given credit for.

ianuaditis and Todd W. like this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I don't know for sure because I am not a member of ABB, but I think you're probably correct about that. I've often wondered if Gregg and Dickey would have parted ways had Duane lived. Duane seemed really laid back. The kind of band member every really good band needs to help glue the more intense personalities together (often in my experience, that person is the bassist, so maybe Berry Oakely also had something to do with that). I know Dickey became a bit of a screwup later on with the drinking, but I think some of what got him booted from ABB was envy on Gregg's part, probably feeling that his name was on the band and he should have more say in things than Dickey. I think Dickey however was a more creative band leader than Gregg, just based on outside observation that the more rope they gave him, the more interesting the output. All MHO of course.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

A complete guess on my part but perhaps Dickey was giving Gregg a hard time about his own decline as a performing member. Gregg didn't exactly step up and fill the space that Dickey left open. He really just handed off the the live act to the guitar players, I saw him nod off at the organ more than a few times as well as leaving the stage for extended periods only returning for vocals.

I have no doubt that Dickey was a mean drunk, around the time he was kicked out of the band he missed a few shows for court dates that resulted from hitting his wife. Gregg probably saw that they could put on a good show without Dickey, liked the extra money from not paying a founding member and was sick of his attitude.

Without Dickey the show became less about songs and more about guitar back flips.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

In what universe is a piece of music not considered a song just because it does not have lyrics?

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

you're right but in this context we are talking about vocals and the number of "songs" played vs the the length of instrumentals. The band lost a lot of great songs with Dickey. ABB really didn't add any songs to the play list, they just jammed more.

ian christopher likes this.
  7. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I've recently been on an Allman Brothers kick. I'm totally into Mr. Betts. He is able to carry songs, essentially playing lead throughout. What a talent.

davers, ti-triodes, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  8. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Dickey Betts is one of my all-time favorites. The extended solo on Blue Sky never fails to bring a smile to my face. If only for that solo? DAYENU

9. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Yes. That coda is almost unlistenable to me except for the beautiful piano chording. And yes, Dicky Betts is great.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Archtop likes this.
  10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Notice how the OP posts a thread like this that he knows will get folks here riled, then he doesn't even reply? Typical.

Dave and ralphb like this.
  11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The rest of us are having a good time.

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's what good music is about :)

To the OP, it's OK if you don't "get" such and such musician. Instead of denigrating something or enlisting sympathy for your tastes, ask fans for input regarding why we like/love Dickey Betts' playing and writing. It's ok, we'll understand. We'll throw in a candied yam for your time and trouble.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

Zep did the same...1/3 to 1/2 hour excursions into Dazed & Confused, Moby Dick and No Quarter...it was OK for a while, but the 1977 30 minute No Quarter piano recitals? Eek!

Back to ABB...ABB changed the setlists post-Dickey, and they became less predictable. My 2 cents.

14. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Just to keep things roiling along...

Definition of "song" (noun) from my well-used paperback dictionary: 1. short poem set to music. 2. poetry. 3. the act or sound of singing.

Andrew Russe and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's a damn shame miles Davis Didn't have any songs, he could have been huge.

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

It's called "trolling", a cowardly self-attention-begging behavior that I thought was discouraged here.

Dave likes this.
  17. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

To really appreciate Dickey's playing with the Allman Brothers Band you need to listen to the post-Duane stuff like Brothers and Sisters. Or even better, the expanded 4 cd Brothers and Sisters. He really shines on that, and you'll also pick up a great appreciation of what Chuck Leavell brought to the Allmans with his piano playing. Really great stuff, Chuck and Dickey really hit it off well on those.

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The evolution was nice in the end.

19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Unfortunately it's become very prevalent lately.
    I joined this forum in 2007 because this kind of trolling was discouraged and rarely happened because most of us preferred civil discourse as opposed to most music forums that is just a bunch of witless "opinions" and abrasive conduct. Too bad they've become the norm here.

bdfin, Dave and gkella like this.
  20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Tipton was always the superior player.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

or someone had a legitimate question about a guitar player and was run off by onslaught of of people rushing in to defend Dickey. Hard to say for sure but it is what ever you want to make it into.

dalem5467 and Lost In The Flood like this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Dickey is the one musician I most would like to see a "comeback" album from -- in the vain of "Highway Call"... a back to roots matter. Dickey should pull it together. Kinda like Johnny Cash "American Recordings", or Dr. John's return-to-form on "Locked Down".

Dickey needs to pull out the acoustic and electric, write some stripped down tunes, shack up with Darrell Scott and Tim O'Brien, pull in Rick Rubin... and make one more album for the road....

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He has been retired for a good bit and I think the reasons have to do with his ability and interest in his advanced years. I would like more as well but I don't think it is likely.

24. pool_of_tears

I agree

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Never liked his guitar tone, annoying to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.