I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I am not a huge fan of the band but do like them. When I finally got to see them live about 12 years ago I was really captivated by his guitar playing. It was cool to see and hear Greg but I was asking "who is that guy? he's fantastic!" LOL

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Pretty straight forward Gibson Less Paul tone isn't it? He didn't play completely clean but not too far from it don't you think?

3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Well give me a moment to look at it...this is a no troll thread, fan of the band and like Dicky a lot. I'm not sure if he is deserving of the top 50 guitar polls that I see though, this is why ask - just looking for some perspective on the guy as a player, not songwriter or band member.

bzfgt, ianuaditis, Umbari and 2 others like this.
  4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Polls are opinions. You already clearly stated you don't share that opinion. I would think that if you really wanted to change your opinion you'd spend time listening until you do (or don't). Why do you want a bunch of strangers to try to change your mind for you?

O Don Piano likes this.
  5. jwb1231970

Well not looking to change my opinion necessarily, but yeah after reading all these posts I guess I'll stick to my opinion that he's just a boring guitar player and there really isn't thing else to it.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

because talking about music is fun and getting a sense of what others appreciate about a given musician can be interesting and give some new perspective in listening to the music.

bzfgt, adamos, dalem5467 and 5 others like this.
  7. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

So perhaps I was correct on two accounts... One that the OP is questioning his musical choices and doesn't understand (and neither do I), and that someone who finds little or no value in D.B. also may not find value in J.J.C. It was an observation, not a criticism but, thank you for proving my assumption accurate. And lose is just that, something not found, or possibly, something not found of value yet. Whatever. No, I don't like everything, and yes I too am discriminating in my tastes. I don't need to answer your rhetorical comments as you already have the answers.

Happy Listening!

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Listen to his solo in Blue Sky. The guy was not only a great player but he is a melodic marvel when it comes to solos. One of the best IMO. His rhythm playing is great also.

ianuaditis, Clanceman, SGR and 4 others like this.
  9. jwb1231970

I agree he's very melodic in his solos, maybe I'm always expecting a different kind of guitar player than what he does...his technique is great and he plays without flaw but I never grabbed me on an emotional level.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

your allowed not to care for him,but what do you ? not Play the Allman Brothers at The Filmore East? he all over that? hes also one of the two major composers in the Band

ian christopher likes this.
  11. jwb1231970

just looking at his guitar playing and the constant lists i see where he is listed as one of the top whatever guitar players of all time...so many lists can't be wrong, can they?

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No list that ranks art is ever going to be right.

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I definitely think he's one of the top whatever guitar players. The lists aren't wrong they are just the opinion of the people who put that particular list together. If you make your own list you can exclude him.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been a fan of ABB for well over 40 years. The first album I ever bought was Fillmore East. I've always been a big fan of Duane and not as much of Dickey. I've never played the guitar and really do not understand the intricacies of playing one. I always thought that Duane's playing was smoother and flowed effortlessly. Dickey's playing seemed not as smooth and sometimes forced. Watching YouTube videos of AAB from Fillmore East with the original lineup it was quite obvious that Duane was the leader of the band and the better player at that time.

After Duane's passing Dickey really stepped it up and his playing was incredible. I'm on board as totally HATING Ramblin' Man, waaaaay over played back in the day. Many other great songs and guitar work from Dickey on Brothers and Sisters though. The guitar solo at the end of Jelly Jelly is outstanding! I think Dickey is one of the better guitar players out there but it seems his demons have derailed his career. As was mentioned earlier a new album from Dickey similar to Highway Call would be real nice to see :).

Bill

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

So what is the point of posting something negative like this, and then not bothering to participate, not bothering to even try to investigate the replies that might "change your mind", then just blowing it off? What a waste of time! Was it fun for you?

16. O Don Piano

So you're just being contrarian for the sake of "being contrarian", then?
    How about "listening" to his guitar playing rather than "looking" at it?

17. jwb1231970

Sorry I forgot my emoji, I was being snarky to the negative posts coming my way. Fan of the Allman's and Dicky, check my posts on this thread for some more background.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

18. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Ooh, cold shot.

19. O Don Piano

Makes no sense to me that you can be a fan, and question whether or not Betts is a great player.

20. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I hear that. RM is definitely not my go to for the Bros.

Bobsblkwax and Bill Mac like this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well its all a matter of taste ,If you ask me a Great Jazz Guitarist can blow away Duane ,Dickey and Jimi ,but I still love them all ,I think a lot of people think The first Guitar solo in Ramblin Man is Dickey ,and That Duane did all those wonderful
    solos on the classic Allman Brothers Lps

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you are a fan of the ABB and specifically the guitar playing, you ARE a fan of DB, the two are not mutually exclusive. The man invented a genre of music (with help) and has a guitar playing style that you can identify after just hearing a few notes. He is not Duane, Warren Hayes or even Derek Trucks but just as important to the sound of the band.

ConnieGuitar and VinylRob like this.
  23. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Exactly what music or musician does grab you on an emotional level ?

Agreed, I don't get your whole point, you state that you are a big fan of The Allman Brothers but then state that Dickey's playing is uninspired and not emotional. What gives? Are you sure your a fan ?

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

A lot of people here lined up to sit in judgement on the thread starter but why not take him at face value and accept that he's asking in all humility for some pointers? If you're not interested in the thread, just piling on to bump it to the top of page one seems a bit counterproductive ...

bzfgt, ianuaditis and highway like this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sort of reminds me of tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley. When I was getting into jazz I found him to be boring; his style is quiet (someone once said he played at a conversation level) and subdued rarely straining the sax to hit those "alto like" notes. But these days he is one of my favorites, and when I hear him come on a solo I focus on his playing intently.

However I've always been a fan of Dicky Betts whether he is playing rhythm or lead :)

danasgoodstuff and Atmospheric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.