I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Guys, I simply saying that his playing in my mind doesn't warrant top guitar player honors, you have to read my posts

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Can't really use the connotation "The Best Guitarist...." Would it be based on speed? McLaughlin, DiMeola, Malmsteen? No all-defining criteria, eh.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

honestly, I don't think there are any guitar nuts out there that are going to put him in the top ten on their list. He's not an "oh my god how did he do that?" kind of player. and at the end of the day those guys are not the ones you listen too most often. Once you get over the gimmick of being a virtuoso it comes down to touch, tone, listening and taste. Neil Young is a great example. We can all learn a NY guitar solo in pretty short order but we will never be Neil Young.

NotOneStraw and Umbari like this.
  4. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of these guys, but I want to say that I bought the Newbury Comics Live At Fillmore on clear vinyl the other day. I thought it would be a nice companion to my original pink label Capricorn. Haven't played it yet but it sure looks cool. It's the only record I like by them, but I must admit, it's a doozy. :targettiphat:

5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I read your first post, and it was the only post of yours for a few pages.
    An opinion expressed in a very dismissive way is going to be met with dismissive replies.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Eat a Peach is pretty close.

Bill Mac and bruce2 like this.
  7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Who is actually giving him top guitar honors?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. highway

highway Forum Resident

For the longest time I listened to Blue Sky and said "Yeah, Dickie's good, but here comes Duane". The second solo is the one that gave me goosebumps.

Then I learned that Betts does the second solo!

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

that made me LOL. Out of nowhere, the voice of reason.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

i am going to go listen to some ABB, I'll y'all sort this out

ARK likes this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've been listening to Dickey since 1972. I've seen him live more times than I can count ( without consulting my scrapbooks ), and while I've always enjoyed his playing, I can surely understand you're not being into him. We all have different tastes, and that's a good thing.
    I posted Bougainvillea upthread, because it's my favorite Dickey Betts tune. Has been since 1977. To me, if that song doesn't get inside you, you're never going to see, or should I say hear, what we're hearing. But again, that's okay.

* written while listening to Hughie Thomasson , Billy Jones, and Henry Paul trade licks.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Oh ! I forgot. Duane's hand-picking him speaks volumes to me.

ian christopher likes this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

In any given band...the one who dies young is always given top honours. It's an unwritten rule of rock....;)

bzfgt and ian christopher like this.
  14. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

What is the point of this thread?

Clanceman likes this.
  15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

The point is for one person to inform us all that he thinks Dickey Betts is boring. Doesn't your life feel enriched now?

16. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Yes, I'm actually levitating due to Dickey Betts's boring solos.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

This one. A song is, by definition, a tune plus a lyric. This is all quite irrelevant to Betts's greatness, but I'm just delivering that fact. I'm sure not everyone will like it.

Nope, Miles didn't write any songs. A lifetime's worth of tunes, pieces, and compositions, though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    bzfgt likes this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

19. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Often yes, but the solo in "Don't Go" is definitely in my top 5 Priest solos, performed by K.K.

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

How is being accurate short-sighted? Calling an instrumental piece of music a song is no different than calling a Chevy Corvette a motorcycle. It's simply not the correct word. It's not a value judgement on my part; instrumentals are not lesser entities than songs, they're just different things.

bzfgt, adamos, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  21. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

While I do listen to Live at Fillmore East primarily to hear Duane, the album would not be nearly as great as it is without Dickie.

trumpet sounds and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You still have not let us know what you think is Music or a Musician that moves you emotionally or what Guitar player you think is tops, hard to tell your frame of mind when you don't tell us what you actually do like. All you have done is make a lot of contradictory statements.

23. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

This is an educational thread, as I learned (in one of the side issues here) that the phrase "instrumental song" is an oxymoron!

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

My favourite all time Album is Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
    Betts playing on that is mesmerisingly good.
    Totally disagree with O.P

25. Skydogg

Skydogg Well-Known Member

LOVE Dickey! At the risk of being immodest, I will post this. I'm playing lead guitar on this and a friend guitar player (who's way better than me) said my playing reminded him of Mr. Betts. That made my week!

bzfgt and Dusty Sommers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.