I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you again :). I just listened to a better part of The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings and there is quite a bit of jamming going on. Mountain Jam, Whipping Post, You Don't Love Me and Memory of Elizabeth Reed? Many of these songs come close to 20 minutes or longer in length. There's plenty of jamming in those tunes IMO.

Bill

ARK, Dennis0675 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

In fairness, that's how it's spelled on Idlewild South and Eat a Peach

bzfgt, ianuaditis and jwb1231970 like this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Saying "1971 jamming is very different then 2002 jamming" might make it sound like I'm just being difficult, but it's tempting. I think that we agree that the Dickie/Duane interplay made those songs what they are. Pulling off a twenty minute Liz Reed with nothing I'd describe as noodling is very hard to do. Warren and Jimmy are of course fantastic guitarists, but there's some noodling there, which I think is kind of part of the contemporary jam-style.

segue and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Might be more compelling to cite an authority that understands the difference between "principle" and "principal" ;)

bzfgt and spindly like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Not only that, when Duane was still alive, Dickey held is own and then some on stage.

Larry Mc and The Killer like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Without a doubt.

Larry Mc likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Liz Reed clip I posted, proves what a great player Dickey is. Imo, on that particular track as heard and seen on film. Betts out plays Duane. However, it is Dickey's song, so perhaps Duane was just holding back. Regardless. I even prefer the sound / tone of Betts SG over Duane's Les Paul.

bzfgt and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  8. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Dickey's talents as a guitarist and composer are often overlooked. His songs and performances are very special to me, but I can understand why many others just don't "get it" the way I do. He does so much by doing so little. Subtlety.

Damn straight, sir :righton:

Anyone who calls themselves an Allman Brothers Band fan who hasn't heard "Bougainvillea," needs to hear Dickey's playing on "Bougainvillea" immediately.
    I am here to enable you:

You're welcome!

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Beautiful song. - My wife and I played that at our wedding, 26 years ago.

ARK, segue and JimSpark like this.
  10. Absolutely...there was a good reason this track was included on the Dreams box set.

ARK, JimSpark and Rose River Bear like this.
  11. Coincidently I have been in Guadalajara all week and the Bougainvillea is blooming in violet all across the city.

12. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Girlfriend brought me to an infamous Dickey Betts and Great Southern concert at the Capital Theater in Passaic, NJ. I had been a fan of the Allmans. Must have been 1977. Dickey walked off the stage after three songs. He apologized and in return played a free show at the South Mountain Arena in South Orange( I think I got that right).

Anyway, hey a bit off topic. I'm not sure if this photographer is known in SHTV land. Here is a link to Chuck Pulins website. chuck pulin .:. photography »
    Plenty of photos of the Allmans, Greg (look under G) and Dickey (look under D). This link should bring you to a photo of Greg and a girlfriend from 1974. Hubba, hubba.
    I've randomly paged through the photos. I'm pretty sure I found a photo of Gregg wearing the same shirt that Duane wore in many of the pictures on the Layla LP. I just can't find the picture again.

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great discussion...I'm a believer

mpayan likes this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I've just recently played my audience tape of the Allman's, from a 1994 concert in Calgary, Alberta. Dickie and Warren Haynes. Oh my goodness...I was re-impressed with the magic and wonder that is Bett's playing. Dickie kept that band together, and he is one of my favourites. Keep listening!

15. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I was at the ABB concert in August 1998 at Red Rocks Amphitheatre, in Morrison, Colorado. Dickey played "Blue Sky" while sitting on a stool.

Dickey Betts sitting on a stool while playing doesn't sound like much. But it was Dickey Betts, at Red Rocks, on a beautiful summer day, sitting on a stool with his guitar, soloing on and singing "Blue Sky" with the Allman Brothers Band, with a blue sky in the background.

I'll remember how I felt at that moment for as long as I live, and I'm a lucky man to have seen that :cheers:

ARK, skybluestoday, Skydogg and 6 others like this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The woman looks like Gregg's wife at the time, Janice Blair-Allman.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  17. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Man those shows back with Dickey & Warren together in ABB were tough. Warren was new... trying to prove he was suited for the job, and his "slide over-playing" became unbearable by the 4th song!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    bzfgt and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Warren Haynes is a very strong flavor so to speak and a little bit goes a long way. No mater who he plays with it is overpowering and becomes the warren Haynes show. A very stark contrast to DB who is more "sneaky" good setting up the other guitarist as well as taking the lead.

ARK and Rolltide like this.
  19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Back circa 1995 several fans were following the Brothers for a week. One morning outside of
    the hotel they were sitting around and one of the guys had an acoustic guitar. He was attempting
    to play `Jessica'. Dickey happened to be outside walking his dog. Betts stopped and listened
    for a moment. Then he said, `who ever wrote that must have been a genius'. With that Dickey
    and the pooch were gone.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    bzfgt, ARK, davers and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Ever so humble ;).

Bill

21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

By the way. Listening to Mr. Bett's first solo album Highway Call as I type.

Greatness abides ...;) :)

22. segue

Love that album. Guitar sweet as honey. I saw 3 of those shows with Bonnie Bramlett singing and the band was just amazing! The best players around.
    And a 40 minute version of "Elizabeth Reed!"

Dickey Betts Great American Tour:

Dickey Betts - guitar, dobro, vocals
    Bonnie Bramlett - vocals, percussion
    Vassar Clements - fiddle
    Jeff Hanna - guitar
    Spooner Oldham - organ + piano
    Stray Straton - bass, vocals
    John Hughey - pedal steel guitar;
    Jerry Jumonville - alto sax
    David Walshaw - drums, percussion
    Jerry Thompson - drums
    Leon Poindexter - acoustic guitar
    Oscar Underwood Adams - mandolin
    Frank Poindexter - dobro
    Walter Poindexter - banjo

Remurmur likes this.
  23. segue

Excellent, rare interview. Dickey discusses his influences and his introduction of the "Twin harmony guitar" concept into the Allman Brothers Band.

joepepitone and Myke like this.
  24. segue

Here comes trouble...

[​IMG]

Lenny LeBlanc, Gary Rossington, Billy Powell, Jimmy Hall, Artimus Pyle, Bonnie Bramlett, Dickey Betts, Charlie Daniels, Taz DiGregorio, Allen Collins, and others

Dickey is a genuine picker man........a real bad ass who plays from the heart.
    Bonnie Bramlett

25. segue

[​IMG]
    Dickey with "Jessica" the Les Paul used on the Brothers and Sisters album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.