I find punk quite dull...so recommend me some punk!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nice to see these guys mentioned.

2. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Right on! Upthread I just went with the whole of the Punk Rock album, including of course a remake of “Where Were You”. In response to the OP who finds punk “dull”, say what you want about The Mekes, but they’ve never been accused of being dull!

strummer101 likes this.
  3. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Yeah! The Punk Rock album is hella good. Great remakes of a lot of older songs, but in 2003 they knew how to play their instruments. ;)
    I'm a huge fan, check my current avatar. They're definitely never boring, and still one of my favorite concert experiences.

Another great single, circa 1989:

mr. steak likes this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I used to listen to Foetus back in the day. I have the album 'Hole' and the single 'Wash/Slog'. He was very unusual in his ideas, and had an amazing sound. Listening to the Wash/Slog 12" now, not sure what to make of it today. It's quite full-on and intense listen. I sometimes wonder just where he was coming from.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

CRASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

The Blood
    Conflict
    Flux Of Pink Indians
    Skrewdriver
    UK Decay

7. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Track down a copy of:

[​IMG]

8. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I was just about to mention Family Fodder though they may be more quiry post-punk stuff. I think there may have been some tie in.
    Or maybe i just discovered family Fiodder and Y Voag who tied in with teh Homosexuals family at the same time.

Was there some crossover with This Heat and the Homosexuals? Just go t it running through my head that Homosexuals may have tied in with the Cold Storage studio though may have that wrong.
    This Heat were doing some very interesting avanty stuf tied in with punk at around teh time, then morphed into Camberwell Now. THough oddly I thiin there is a direct path from Quiet Sun, Phil Manzanera's avant prog band to This Heat. As in Manzanera leaving and the guitarist being replaced which almost immediately begat This Heat or something along those lines.

9. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I thought the set released as Spunk was better. The band got pretty tight when the original bassist Glen Matlock was onboard and sounded pretty powerful in 76. By the time Never Mind The bollocks is recorded Matlock's gone, Sid can't play his instrument at all and Steve Jones is recording both guitar and bass . So while it does sound ok as an lp it isn't the Pistols at their best

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. Rollie

Rollie Forum Resident

The Germs

Reagan Youth

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

One of the band members lived in the same house as Charles Hayward. This Heat's studio, Cold Storage was in Long Acre and later The Homosexuals were living in a house nearby. Recommended Records sold albums by both bands and was based on Wandsworth, a stone's throw away. The Homosexuals recorded at Surrey Sound Studios at night, whilst The Police were not recording in the day.

This Heat (avant-gardists with prog-connections as you say) could not be more different to The Homosexuals, who grew out of punk band The Rejects. You can hear the influence of Syd Barratt on some of Bruno's songs. The other members added their own thing. I'm not sure what the influence of L.Voag song-writing was but he listened to jazz (Sunny Murray) and Roxy Music as a teenager. At one point The Homosexuals had shared a bill with The Wire, with whose music I have noticed the odd similarity.

I'm not aware of any direct musical connection between L.Voag and Family Fodder. But he knows Mick Hobbs who was once a member of FF. They played together in The Work on the Japanese tour.

That's probably a lot more information than you bargained for. New albums coming by Homosexuals member LV/Amos.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Blank Frank likes this.
  12. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The Bill Grundy incident brought Punk into the living room and papers. Not even that fantasist McLaren can claim that he got Grundy to provoke Jonesy, deliberately.

For an album or two, everyone reading this should consider, Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts and Inflammable Material.

My memory of Punk, was that with the exception of a few LPs, singles rather than albums drove that very short period, and a good starting point from an UK perception, would be New Rose.

13. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

Dayglo Abortions

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

Any love?

15. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

My taste is more to the power pop punk side of things: The Boys, Slaughter and the Dogs, Chelsea, The Undertones, The Lurkers, Generation X, 999, The Real Kids, Stiv Bators etc.

16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....so many classics.

17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....unlike bacon they may be an acquired taste. :laugh:

18. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Wow, good call on The Blood, 'False Gestures...' is class, 'Parasite In Paradise', 'Megalomania' top tunes.

19. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

The Saints - Prehistoric Sounds

keyse1 likes this.
  20. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Ditto. I discovered The Blood when I was doing a No Future Records catalog deep dive (which is, itself, another recommendation I suppose). Criminally underrated band. The Captain Oi reissue of False Gestures is essential street punk listening, imho.

Great picks, although I guess I'll flag that the OP would probably be better off sticking to pre-'83 Skrewdriver.

Digital Morphine likes this.
  21. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Nice I agree...I have a lot of Blitz stuff on NFR! :)

I was thinking the same but didn't want to say haha :laugh:

FlexFantastic likes this.
  22. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Discharge

Digital Morphine likes this.
  23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

It's pretty obvious that most of the posters here neglected to read the OP. :help:

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Like he’s going to do anything with all of this anyway.

NaturalD and black sheriff like this.
  25. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

This is the best trolling thread ever.

SincerelyLCohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.