I Give up on going to the movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by billdcat, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I love movies but I don't go to the Cinaplex anymore. I have been once in three years and that was for Return of the King. I either buy the DVD or watch in on DirecTV.

I have a killer surround system but I don't kid myself either; it can't touch the audio and video of a nicely appointed theater. I don't care though. To me the advantages far outweigh the downside. I am just tired to tears of people who talk through movies (and concerts for that matter but that's another thread), who have seen the movie before and want to tell you when the good part is coming, who constantly stir or shake their soda, crunch their popcorn like it's their last meal or kick the back of my chair.

If we are out to dinner with another couple and they want to go to a movie I am cool about it but we frankly have found that they invariably want to come over to our house to watch one.

It's kind of a shame really because I have many fond memories of Saturday matinees as a kid and of seeing this or that movie but I am afraid that as I have gotten older my tolerance for certain things just isn't what it used to be. I don't get that much time to enjoy movies and when I get that two hours I want to make the most of it.

Peace-
    Norm

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed on all your points, Ray! Nothing like a theater experience....

Still, I do wish there were more theaters showing older films....many of these really don't work any other way but on the big screen, like the STAR WARS trilogy, which seem so small even on the larger home projection screens. And with the better theaters with the multi-channel setup, what a gas! Wish that would happen in these parts....

:ed:

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's nothing wrong with seeing a mindless teenage comedy, or whatever. In fact, I do like some of them. But, I hate that 99% of the time, that's all the choice there is.

Now, I expect to see a dumbed-down movie with excessive action and little meaningful dialog. That way, if that's all it is, I don't get disappointed.

4. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Agreed.

And I think (before too awfully long) digital will eliminate the bad print issues, though digital itself is a whole 'nother can o worms in some people's view.

If nothing else, it SHOULD greatly expand what can be exhibited in smaller markets, but, having worked some with one of the larger national exhibit chains, their creative muscles haven't been exactly getting stretched regularly!

doug

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I've come across a lot of people who swear by their home theaters, and I certainly enjoy the heck out of mine, but there will always be something special about the shared experience of seeing a film in a crowded theater full of other people, most of whom I don't know. There are plenty of annoyances associated with the whole process ranging from escalating ticket prices, presentation issues, to noisy/annoying patrons, but seeing a film presented fairly well with a large crowd will always beat seeing a film presented optimally in private. Give me another decade or so to grow cynical about humanity, though, and maybe I'll change my tune. :)

Regards,

6. RDK

RDK Active Member

A lot of films I could take or leave with an audience, but there's certainly nothing like laughing with several hundred others at a rib-splittin' comedy.

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I say these affectionately, but man, sometimes reading these threads feels like listening to a bunch of cranky old men. "In my day..." and "those damn kiddies..." and so forth.

I could rattle a list of complaints a mile long about cinemas, concerts (of any genre), bars, clubs, the street, etc, but what am I supposed to do, stay home all the time? BORING.

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I haven't had many great experiences lately at my local movie theatres, and I haven't noticed many great movies coming out lately either. That said, I love the new 'stadium seating' theatres, they have great potential. And the variety of possible snacks is fabulous. A local innovation here in Boston is theatrical presentation of the Red Sox in HD, complete with beer vendors in the theatre. I was disappointed in the remake of Manchurian Candidate, and it's the only movie I saw in a theatre this summer. My favorite recent film was Y Tu Mama Tambien, which is out of the theatres and on DVD. That's how I saw it, my wife saw it with a friend at a theatre. Very good road picture, realistic story, moving, sexy. I enjoyed Step Into Liquid and have partially viewed Hellboy which is impressive. Hero looks good too, hope I get to see it before DVD is my only choice. I've noticed a lot of threads where people just seem burned out and unimpressed with recent developments in the arts and media. It's legit, I agree that there was probably a peak from about '65 to '80, but there's still a lot of great stuff happening. You have to work harder to find it.

9. Grant

I feel the opposite because I am a loner by nature. I prefer watching a movie at home on my own terms in my own space. If I miss something, I can just go back and rewatch it. :thumbsup:

10. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I went to the movies and saw Aliens Vs Predators. The admission was $15 for two adults, and then we spent an additional $15 on a box of popcorn, two sodas, and a tray of Nachos. It was the 7 PM showing, and after we were seated a mother came in with 8 children ( Probably not all hers ). As the show began the kids kept on talking and giggling. They had ignored the mother's instructions to be quiet, so finally I turned around and told them to be quiet, I was trying to watch the movie. The mother then got into a loud verbal confrontation with me, telling me I had no right to tell her kids to be quiet - anyhow to make a long story short - the experience simply reinforced my contention that it is better to wait for the DVD to come out - buy it - and watch the film at home. I can buy most first run movies for about the price of 2 adult tickets and have it in my library to watch any time. A soda will run about $.35 and the popcorn about the same. ( And Im not limited to the selection of food they have at the concession stand.)

11. Grant

Well, White Wolf, I am firmly under the belief that it takes a village to raise a child, particularly when the parents don't so anything or are shown to be inneffective. I have found myself in the same position as you before.

Oh, did I mention how kids/teens like to throw ice down at the people in front of them? aggrivating! And, did I mention sticky floors from spilled sodas...and uh...bodily waste fluids? Ugggghhh! Give me a DVD at home any day!

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that without too much trouble, one could find a theater with minimal bodily waste fluids on the floor. As a rule of thumb, it's also a good idea to steer clear of theaters that sell chewing tobacco at the concessions stand. :)

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.