I hate losing records. This time it cost me $50. :(

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by action pact, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

The other night I pulled out my 2 x 45 Analogue Productions edition of Junior Wells' "Hoodoo Man Blues," and was shocked to find that disc one was missing! The inner sleeve for the disc was present, but the actual disc was MIA. WTF!?

The only likely explanation is I was, uh, not in my usual state of mind the last time I played it, and misfiled the disc inside another LP's cover. I've already gone through my entire blues section and came up empty-handed. Finding one lost disc within a collection of about 4000 LPs will be pretty difficult, assuming that it is indeed buried in the stacks somewhere.

I went ahead and just pulled the trigger on another copy. If and when the lost record reappears, I guess the extra copy will find its way to the SHF classifieds.

:realmad:

2. I remember buying the soundtrack to Easy Rider when it first came out. It was from Tower Records near Fishermans Wharf.

In the parking lot I started talking to a friend and placed the bag on the roof of my car while I searched for my keys

Yup as I drove off I saw the bag fly off into the street from my rear view mirror. It hit the front of the car behind me and ended up broken in half

3. action pact

At least you found some closure! :) The fate of my missing record is still a mystery.

The only other time something like this happened was when I was carrying my EP sleeve of "The Big Three at the Cavern" with me to work. I was going to package it and mail it to the guitarist in the band, who agreed to sign it for me. Somewhere between home and work, the sleeve disappeared. At least I still have the disc, but the loss of that cool sleeve bums me out, especially since a replacement will cost me around $40-$50.

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and Mazzy like this.
  4. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

You have my sympathy -- I just lost my CD of Kenny Burrell's Lotus Blossom -- I have the empty case near my player as was listening to it recently but I cannot find the damn disc. Maybe it's folded into another case somewhere but you would think that meant I had a spare other cd sitting out of its case, but no...it's MIA. It's one thing to not be able to locate a disc on the shelf in a hurry, it's another to have the empty sleeve and no clue as to where the damn content is....I've experienced this with CDs only, I can only imagine the frustration with an LP.

5. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

not a rare album, just confounding. Bowie's station to station. listened to it 3 months ago, now it has just vanished.

stef1205 and Fullbug like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It seems at least you had some fun:laugh:

agundy and johnnypaddock like this.
  7. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Did the same thing with a Jesus and Mary Chain album the other day. Needed to order a new one as well, felt weird not owning it. Even though it probably is in a wrong sleeve somewhere.

8. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I've done this. Thought it was just me!

I recently discovered a missing CD when I went to listen to my WG Target of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. VERY disappointing. I afraid I may have sold it off in a recent purge of my CD collection. :(

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Did you check the sock drawer?

10. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I suspect the wife took it out and cracked it in half last time you pissed 'er off :)

OptimisticGoat, Deek57, djost and 5 others like this.
  11. action pact

Indeed! But was it worth a $50 loss? :unhunh:

12. action pact

Who, me?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

At least you can replace it. I have lost recently what was an expensive OOP CD that is now irreplaceable at any price.

14. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

It only gets better when you misplace a record, buy a second copy, and then (of course) find the first copy you 'lost'.

I did this a few years ago right before I moved to a new apartment. I had bought a copy of Mickey Jupp's Juppanese LP -- on Stiff and blue vinyl too -- and filled it in my new record pile. Packed up my new record pile in a seperate box than my other LPs, moved, unpacked the (properly alphabetized) LPs and couldn't find the Jupp record. Was very bummed for about a year, and then I saw a picture disc version at a street fair. Bought the pic disc, and then on the way home I had the lightbulb appear above my head and remembered where I placed the first copy. Dug the blue vinyl copy out that afternoon, looked at the pic disc, and then looked at myself like a true idiot.

Heck, it's a thoroughly enjoyable record, but I didn't love it enough to need two copies of it.

Zeki likes this.
  15. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Easy Rider by name.

Easy rider by nature!

The Hud likes this.
  16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Whichever one it is, I'll sell it to you at the bargain basement price of $1,000 :laugh:

17. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

This is why I cut myself off from the turntable after awhile and switch to digital when I'm altering my state of mind. Too many things can go wrong!

johnnypaddock and action pact like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

This is exactly why we have a three drink maximum when it come to Turntable use at our house. After that, it's CD's/Files only. And remember, tonearms and psychedelics don't mix.:tsk:

19. AxiomAcoustics

Boy was that a coincidental post! :doh:

Strummergas likes this.
  20. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

My solution to this problem is that I take out what I plan to listen to for the evening, if I'm drinking, to a special location. That way if I'm a little blurry-eyed later :love: I just check the "recently played" pile the next day to make sure all the records and CD's are in their right locations before they go back on the shelf.

Machiventa likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

+ $3.99 shipping & handling. Ships from our facility in 3-5 weeks.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My wife and I lost the sacd disc of Selene Dion all the way. One day I went to play it and the case was empty. Since both my wife and I handled it, I have no idea where it is. I did some searching but can't find it. Went to ebay to see about getting a new one. They are going for around $100.00.:sigh:

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I've misplaced CDs in the same fashion. I think you should go through your entire collection. I think you may find more than just one out of place record. I did this with my CDs and was surprised at what I found.

Alan2 likes this.
  24. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Great minds drink alike! :cheers:

25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have a similar but different experience with a new record. I bought a "Electric Ladyland" RTI pressing when it first came out. I can't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't cheap. I pulled one record out and gave it a spin. It sounded excellent and quiet. I put it away and a couple of months later, I pulled it out again to listen to the other record in the set. However, I realized that the album had (2) of the same record in it. By that time my exchange window had closed and I was stuck with the same records. Fortunately, I later found a used copy and got the other record for a much less price than a new one. I later sold the duplicate for $10.00 to a friend. He was happy and so was I but not exactly the most economical outcome.

The moral of the story, be sure to check out your new records the day you purchase them. Otherwise it can be costly.

Ben Adams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.