I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Pretty much everything I wanted this year is available at the moment through record shops re more recent stock. So I'll be giving RSD a miss next year.

Tjazz likes this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I like RSD but I don't find it essential. I try to limit my purchases to $100-$150 and things I'm going to play. I don't buy the gimmicky collectible overpriced horribly mastered 7"s or other useless lps. If I'm not going to play it, I'm not going to buy it.

I also enjoy the experience and have established some good memories on RSD, like an 11:00 a.m. beer and veggie burger from the Porter. I think it also promotes the release of certain titles that may have never seen the light of day. So keep it coming but I hope it doesn't go too far in the wrong direction.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Personally done with RSD, the hype has turned me off. The whole limited edition thing is over used. Heck, my local shop still has Cream, Last Waltz, Grateful Dead, most of everything still there in July. Either nobody wants these or they made way more than they advertised.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I hate the stupid releases of that day... "the same damn albums or songs with a poppy fool color vinyl or splatter's or picture disc"

one example:
    [​IMG]

bowie same damn songs in a new '7 with a picture disc! very fool... I dont pay any cent for that...

or the HIGH prices on limited editions

or "bootleg" concerts made "official"

etc...

5. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Or your local store ordered too many of these releases which is really the most likely scenario. No one made them order them.

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

What brought this thread back from the dead?

Funny how all the haters are still fuming over this, months after the event they claim to be done with. If you're over it, why bump a dead thread to remind everybody?

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yep, and i'm still spinning and enjoying every release i bought on rsd.

8. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Yeah me too though I buy very little of the RSD special releases but take advantage of the great sales and just enjoying being in a busy record store. I love it.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Somebody woke up one morning in July, and thought to himself "Oh, I hate Record Store Day So Much. Oh, I hate hipsters so much. I need to let the world know about this". Then, he ran a search on The Hoffman Forum, and thought to himself: "Yes!".

Mind blowing stuff.

MarkO and Brudy like this.
  10. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Hey, that's worth something. Easier said than done. :nauga:

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yeah, I wondered what made somebody bring this up after 3 months! You don't like it? Don't participate! End of story.

webbcity likes this.
  12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

This past record store day I stood in line with a young couple who were maybe 19 or 20 who turned out to be huge R.E.M., Robyn Hitchcock, Husker Du, Feelies, and Replacement fans who were enthralled by my stories about my college radio days in the 80's that involved playing and actually meeting these folks.

It made me feel good that there are still young kids out there who are still seeking out this stuff and are loving it as much as we did and do.

That is my main Record Store Day 2013 memory...:)

Tommyboy, JeffMo and mogambotek like this.
  13. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

The best solution for RSD is for all participating labels to press extra copies and sell them same-day on a company eBay store, for the same suggested retail price as most stores. I would think that would seriously dent the number of purchases that are for flipping, and would at least help keep prices down.

I also think it's time for the labels to recognize that vinyl isn't a fad, it isn't a passing thing, it isn't just for hipsters. Every day should be record store day for the labels!

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There are some things about RSD, I don't like, but still, I think it is fun. No one is forcing me to buy any of the releases.

ginchopolis and sirmikael like this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Damn it, did I miss I Hate Record Store Day Day?

JulesDassin and Mathew like this.
  16. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

If you did, don't worry. It'll happen again soon.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

How would this help record stores?

18. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

If you now search ebay (for example) for all those "must have, hard to find" releases you wanted you will see them priced a LOT lower than they were the week after. If there is something you want(ed), chances are that it will be easier to find 6 months after RSD, and priced considerably lower than RSD scalper prices.

As far as RSD goes, I personally don't go line up, I wait - but anything that gets artists involved with vinyl is ok in my book. If this is what it takes to get them to consider doing vinyl, then its all good in my book.

19. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

http://cassettestoreday.com/

...ask and ye shall receive... 7 September 2013. Mark your calendars for the complaint thread.

20. attym

attym Forum Resident

Its a great idea in theory

21. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

It won't *hurt* record stores, and it will help consumers.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

It will help consumers who don't feel like going to a record store on Record Store day.

23. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

Well... Black Friday is coming! I think it's funny that people complain about both ends of an argument. Too few copies, too many copies, I can't get there that day, every day is record store day (really, are they seriously releasing 300 new records every day!?!?! that's amazing), it's the biggest sales day of the year for record stores, it's killing record stores. I do think like most things the truth lies in the middle. I enjoy it. I go to the used bins in the morning then get what I want from the leftovers once the lines die down. I've been happy every RSD but maybe I just don't have the sense of entitlement that some people have. Sometimes just because they made it and you really want it, you still can't have it.

eddiel and pghmusiclover like this.
  24. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

Record Consumer Day? This was originally conceived to strengthen and support the independent record store, not the spoiled consumer. Btw, it would hurt the record stores as they'd lose the sales of the ones you put on ebay. The whole thing is to get people off the internet and into the stores. They should call it, "Leave Your Parents Basement Day"

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

There's anti-RSD stuff posted because there's more than one point of view. I'm not sure why someone posted now but your response is like some anti-RSD person writing, "You like it? Participate! End of story." Why have any conversation at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.