I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

i
    I guess I see your point, but I think the whole point of this thread has been to show that the stores don't need RSD. Customers are lining up to buy vinyl - it's worked - and since it has been so successful, it's become apparent that many of the purchases are just being flipped and sold for double and triple the suggested retail price via third-party web sales, which in turn becomes a huge turnoff to many record buyers, which keeps them at home on RSD, which eventually causes burnout and disillusionment, which DOES hurt record stores.

Thus, my conclusion that pressing more copies, and making them available to third party web sites might cause some of the copies shipped to actual brick and mortar stores to actually be on the shelves for the customers who happen to be 50th or 100th in line and miss out on the good stuff because they were not in line at 11:00 pm the night before....with the basement dwellers.

Speaking for myself, I avoid RSD because of the chaos and confusion. I am not a basement dweller, nor do I live with my parents. I happen to be a fit 40 year old who spends a couple hundred per month on vinyl, most of it at local indie record stores, because Denver actually has some still open for business every day. I am not, however, immune to the disappointment of going to make a purchase on RSD only to find out that all three copies of something allocated to my local stores were sold out 90 seconds after the doors opened that morning, and I have had to resort to paying far more than I would prefer on ebay, and it leaves a very sour taste. Frankly, I don't want the basement dweller who lives with mom getting three times the rate for an item that he only bought to flip. I find it distasteful.

In sum, adding a hundred more copies of high-demand items to sites like eBay would not hurt the stores, but might actually allow the RSD inventory on store shelves to last more than a couple hours, and would also provide a fairly priced outlet for rural folks who do not have local access to any RSD merchandise.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Because it has all been said before in literally thousands of posts over the past 4 years.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

But you have participated in those threads.

I'm not a big RSD fan but don't begrudge those who like it. I can see the appeal and might even participate myself, if I lived closer to more record stores. I wouldn't be standing in line nor likely buying the special releases but there would be something fun about being in a record store on a day when it was doing a good business.

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Don't care it's a topic that has been done to death and IMHO bitching about RSD should be a banned topic just like politics is. It's pointless runs in circles and has a bad habit of spreading and derailing tons of threads.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

How would we "ban" conversation over someone being "upset" over RSD? Should we only allow positive comments and any dissent should be silenced and removed from the forum? We give the impression that all is well and fine and perfect with RSD and no one is upset or disappointed? I'm very interested in hearing how this would work. Would that also include discussion on how to improve RSD, as "improving" would mean that something is "wrong" or "not as good" (which is negative)? What other topics or dissenting opinions should we ban in the realm of music?

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The issue could be framed in a constructive manner like "how to improve RSD for next year". Then we can talk about too many releases, stores taking out loans, extremely limited items, limited items that get wide release weeks later, gimmicky releases and cd sourced stuff.

c-eling likes this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That is all negative and should be banned.

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.

8. It's pretty easy to distinguish between a legit complaint and the ceaseless whining that this forum excels at.

9. wayved

wayved Guest

Not to derail anything but did you get the new superchunk 7" yet? if so do you like it?

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I neither like it or dislike it. It's just another day and a way to try and pump blood into the music industry and it's bottom feeders (the record stores themselves). It's sad because one of the stores that I go to occasionally has stuff from previous years RSD's just collecting dust. And ebay/Amazon has a lot of items for sale at or even under the retail price or highly inflated prices by greedy sellers. Some of this stuff is just not moving that well. I guess it depends on the artist, label and price. I've personally never bought a RSD item and probably never will. The atmosphere in records stores has not been the same since the early to mid 1990's.

11. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I still think and will continue to rail for integrating a pre-order component to the day, where you order what you want and pay for it months in advance from the store, then pick it up on RSD or thereafter. It will not stop lines from forming or products from being limited, nor will it decrease traffic, but it will decrease the anxiety and complaints.

Clanceman likes this.
  12. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Too crowded at 'Sister Ray' in London and I don't do crowds. Was pleased to see the records I wanted a few days later still there (Miles Davis lp's) Only one I didn't get that I wanted was the Nick Drake LP which they have since got back in stock. So overall very pleased.

It was nice to see everyone enjoying themselves and the stage with live bands outside even though the security guards were a bit over zealous and power happy.

13. spacefreak

spacefreak Forum Resident

As a vinyl lover and record collector since the 70s, I refuse to be a hipster sheep. Major labels, "innovative" sales techniques and thirsty business make me sick...

F@#K RECORD STORE DAY! See you on Tuesday 21st at my local Record Retailer, with a cup of coffee, cigarettes and chain-listening to new releases.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The simple solution is to eliminate the "limited quantity" issue. Make a first run of colored vinyl, or picture disc, or whatever, and then have a standard release of every single title in at least one additional format 2-3 mos later, preferably black vinyl and cd. Worst case, even if it was just on iTunes, make sure people without access to RSD can at least access any of the music being offered.

15. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Don't see the limited edition going away ever as that is the engine that drives the hype. Overall people seem happy to grab stuff to feel good they got rare things even if they aren't rare at all. Great lesson in marketing to the masses but i wish it was done better. Still waiting to see how the increased pressng numbers impacts this tears ebay sellers.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I hate those stupids 7 inch singles with the same songs that we know very well just crappy mixed with a hype new cover art and color vinyl or even worst with a picture disc.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

And in the end

The hate you take

Is equal to the hate you make

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

All I can say is I sincerely hope those who had their heart set on obtaining a certain RSD release(s) were able to walk out of a participating shop with it in hand. But overall the "carrot dangling" aspect of the whole affair has got to stop; "I got one,you didn't.....nanny nanny nanny". Way to treat the very people that take their hard-earned paycheck dollars to support your careers as a musical artist by trying to purchase your music & put their seats in a venue to hear you play. Are you listening, Jack White? You were the one that helped mastermind this thing; now take some effort to repair it.

EasterEverywhere and Clanceman like this.
  19. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

I don't like Costco. Here's my solution - I don't go to Costco.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

I will go to the store another day when the crowds and hype are down.

21. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

We have one RSD store in town.I have known the guy who runs it since 1989 when the store opened.He has confirmed what I suspected.As a stand alone one man indie operation,in a middle to small sized market,he does not get a lot of the best stuff.What's more,I have no car,and can't be there the night before to line up.

22. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Funny, I wrote this post when I was living in Bratislava, Slovakia. Now that I'm back in the US, I go to the record store every week, but still avoid RSD. I spend enough money at Amoeba and Rasputin in Berkeley and SF every month that I'm already doing my part!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.