I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

see post 76.

2. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

You guys do realize you don't have to participate, right?

Saying stuff like 'I hate RSD because I hate the releases' is ridiculous to me. Crying because they don't release stuff you personally like is dumb.

You guys might not like a lot of it, but I blew $300 bucks today. Yes, there were that many releases I wanted. I even put a few back.I coulda hit $400 if they'd had all I wanted and I picked it all up.

Also, most of them are very reasonably priced if you can get them in a store. If you miss out and have to go to eBay (I will agree that eBay Flippers are scum) then just forget about it and move on. No big deal. The absolute most I paid for a release today was $35. That's $15 less than I paid not a few months ago for The Doors APP 45s (each).

You're literally complaining about something you don't want to participate in anyway. It might stop you from making a trip to your local shop 1 DAY OUT OF THE YEAR. If that's the only day you can go buy records then you've got 0 time to listen to them anyway.
    ----
    I agree with eddiel...I had a list ready to go weeks ago. Knew exactly what I wanted and just had to wait. As for not having funds...They announce the date months in advance. Save your pennies and go get some records. It isn't like they go 'HEY GUYS IT'S RECORD STORE DAY TOMORROW.'
    ----
    I got to my shop around 8am and they opened at 9:30. I only missed 4 releases I wanted and that's just because they didn't print enough (Blind Melon). My store limited everyone to 1 of each release and were banning anyone (from future RSDs) who tried to team shop to get multiple copies or buy multiples themselves. I met some great people in line too so time flew by.

I'll stop here I guess, but if nothing else...everyone here should love record store day. It's a day that gets the younger generation into the local record stores and helps them stay open so you can go buy your stuff later and support a local business.

EDIT: Here's my store's flyer. They did a great job cutting down on chaos this year.
    [​IMG]

3. Salmonella

Salmonella Active Member

The only thing that caught my attention was a Zappa single featuring Montana and another song from Overnite Sensation, but only because I really like the music. When I say it at the local participating record store, I also saw its price tag: 18 euros. Supposedly a collectible, but I'm not into that kind of thing. I'm sure Zappa would turn in his grave if he'd be able to hear about this, too.

Apart from the actual RSD releases and 'collectibles', I've got nothing against Recordstore Day. It's always nice to see lots of people around the record stores, if you ask me, and Recordstore Day is more than just a few special releases and a website with articles. It's the atmosphere surrounding it that mainly counts, for me. Found a few great records that must've been lying around longer than RSD, on RSD.

4. What, he was treating this like a dating site and uploading pix of his junk or something?

EDIT: Ah, the explanation was on the next page.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks. I don't understand how posting pics could cause such a problem. People should communicate via private conversations for any requests.

In-Absentia and nbakid2000 like this.
  6. wayved

wayved Guest

I dont mean to be a jerk but I had a good time today. I really did. I enjoy seeing and talking to people who dig music. I got some cool stuff and I am glad. The cynical side of me stayed home and I just had fun. Good times.

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

As i said in the other thread I go now just to meet people in the line. The 5 hours hanging out was a blast.

wayved likes this.
  8. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

For a lot of people, sure. But it's a moot point, because I refuse to stand in a long line and fight over these "instant collectibles".

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

It went a bit better than I expected, considering The Cure was sold out. I was not expecting to find the Jerry Goldsmith Poltergeist glow in the dark LP. That was nice. Other than that, it was slim pickings after waiting for an hour. I'll do next year, but I'll have to get there early! :)

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Those of you making broad assumptions about the impact and reach of RSD have no idea what you are talking about. The two stores in my area have had increasingly bigger crowds with each event. The coverage and advertising goes way beyond what some of you seem to realize. Today both stores I visited were PACKED. Early in the morning it was impossible to get near the register at the first store I visit (forced me to look more). The owners of the stores get concerned that they can't cover the needs of their regular customers but they also seemed pretty pleased by the number of people in the store.

The point of the day is to get national attention for small stores. Unfortunately pi$$ing of a handful of fanatics is just one of the costs of all of the publicity. Besides, the day the event really does "run its course" it will all go away and the complainers will find something else to complain about.

levi likes this.
  11. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I've gone four years in a row never seen any fights.

levi and thebunk like this.
  12. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I think there is a lot of misinformation and rumor and fear mongering being passed off as fact. You really think more then 5% of people shopping today are flipping stuff on eBay?

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I posted this in the other thread but it really fits better here or in that other compalint thread.

Today was declared Record Store Day by the major of Orlando in recognition of everything it has done for the neighborhood of Audubon Park and the city of Orlando.

It's a huge deal.

mark f. likes this.
  14. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

Tried to limit to $200. Hit about $320. Wanted The Cure, but it was sold out quick here (along with Blind Melon, Testament, and Notorious BIG).

Can't help myself. :)

hi_watt likes this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that a solution for your problem is found very soon. You have my best wishes. :hugs:

16. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

About flippers............If someone's selling, that means someone's buying. No buying.......no selling.

Eventually, most titles will come down in price, just be patient.

It's a free country (last I looked anyway). There's nothing wrong with making an opportunity out of something.

You don't like it? Don't buy it. You don't like the thread......don't read it.

wayved likes this.
  17. wayved

wayved Guest

Did you get the Superchunk 7"? I had no such luck....

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not surprising. This is the point I try to make in those "Records are making a comeback" threads.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't participate, but I
    m glad for those who dig this...:righton:

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yep, it's gorgeous.

wayved likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, they are going to come back and replace the cold digital CD...

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My guess is at least 15 percent! I saw plenty of people there who didn't look like vinyl listeners. More like the Walmart Black Friday crowd.

23. wayved

wayved Guest

Very good! Congratulations!!! That was really the only thing I wanted besides the Pollard box. oh well. Hopefully the songs will be available sometime.

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not that I wish to head in that direction here, but it seems strange that pictures of records could set people off. Then again, you did say it was a typical day here. :sigh:

nbakid2000 likes this.
  25. Stella

Stella Active Member

So many self-rightous opinions in this thread. I Be glad there's even a day for this and LP's are being made exclusively for it. Anything that gets the average guy back into vinyl is a good thing. And to few people about where the records are sourced.

Same people would b*tch is it was CD Store Day.

Enjoy it for what VERY SIMPLY IS.

Geee!, Lethrus and mark f. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.