I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I was seriously tempted to buy some stuff that was left over (like, there were big quantities) to flip on Ebay just to cover my costs of OTHER things (like used box sets) I purchased in the store today, but I was looking at Ebay and a lot of the stuff I had in mind was just sitting there, so I was like, "no, it's not worth the risk."

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Surprised to here so many store opening before 8am when RSD requested that not be done. Curious to see when Mr. Bull Moose chimes in here on the forum.

3. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I don't mean any disrespect, but that was funny!

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I've thought about buying everything I want, flipping it, then buying it all back a week later when the prices crash.

There was rumor in the store that the Big Star record was selling for $350 on eBay. If that had been true there is no way in hell I wouldn't have flipped my orange copy and just bought a black copy 3 months from now.

5. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I wish there was a whole lot more to tell. The store was super crowded and I have no idea what was going on for this guy. I was at one bin looking through some stuff and people were trying to squeeze behind when i noticed this one guy wasn't going anywhere... and then i realized what was happening. I asked him at first "what the *++* are you doing?" and he kept going. I then made a fist and junk punched him. He fell away and i took my selections to the counter and got out of there. I love record stores and Record Store Day... but not that much.

Thurenity likes this.
  6. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

The lowest BIN for the Big Star that I could spot (before closing out the tab in frustration) was $75.

I think the flippers went straight to that one. I knew a number of people who were looking out for it at the different shops around town. It was gone in every instance, if the store in question even got it in stock.

7. wayved

wayved Guest

I saw this today too.....they were probably selling it right there in store as they were checking out. There are also those who just grab one of everything to sort out later.

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think flipping is something that RSD and the record companies have tried their best to address. Obviously there are few records that do go for big bucks (RSD needs those for the publicity) but most of it ends up at about retail eventually. It's not worth the few bucks you would make and most of the highest prices are early. Seems like its got to be impulse buyers. (Try selling your Big Star box these days!!)

I hope that old guy gets his money's worth and more. He deserves it to stand out there that long.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  9. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

We had tons of them here. Flippers are dumb. They think because Third was a huge flip item 2 years ago, that this one will be a huge item even though it's totally different. There is no contest with this one and now everyone knows that Omnivore is just going to do a second pressing.

That why I was like if people are dumb enough to pay $#50 for this when another version is imminent then damn I need the money.

I was also pretty sure it was not true. The DMB boxset somehow got mixxed up with Big Star and people were quoting the wrong eBay price.

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah I don't really mind my attitude is he waited and they are his property. I just wonder. In a sly grin kind of way not a pissed off kind of way.

11. wayved

wayved Guest

how did the pricing go? I didnt pay 50 bucks for anything....all the pricing was pretty--well--for this sort of "extravagant luxury" thing--reasonable....Are there set prices or can stores charge whatever the *&^% the want?

12. wayved

wayved Guest

Though I don't like losing records to flippers, thats not very cool at all!

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It should really be called Record Company Day 'cause they're the ones who are cleaning up, not the record stores.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

They have a list price but stores can charge whatever they want.

15. wayved

wayved Guest

my store was awesome then.

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

They can charge whatever they want. The issue is that everything is so expensive for the retailers, they can't make a huge profit off it, because their customers won't buy it.

17. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

The first guy in line at our store got there at 6:30pm yesterday. They posted about it on Facebook. Even if he is a flipper, that man gets my respect.

Which part? The fact I can't drive or the fact I had to drag my fiancee out of bed this morning to get my records? If the latter, yeah, it's pretty funny. :) She had fun and found a few Bowie singles for herself.

18. wayved

wayved Guest

I didnt get any of the Bowie, and the White Stripes wasen't even there! No copies at all! I like Best Coast too, but their singles sold out as soon as I asked where they were located!

19. MorbidToaster

She got both Bowie releases and the Drive in Saturday single was the only thing I felt we overpaid for today. $16 for a 7" Single is ridiculous.

Our shop had TONS of copies of Elephant. Like, and entire crate and a half of overstock kind of numbers. Unfortunately, my 2nd inner sleeve is quite bent. I'm going to try and iron it out, but we had so many I think they might have some left tomorrow. If not, no biggie I guess. Not gonna sell it anyway. Front to back analog record from a group I love. Why would I get rid of it?

20. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

That you have vision problems and all you wanted was Blind Melon.

21. MorbidToaster

Ahaha. I didn't even think of that. Good catch.

Oh, and for anyone interested or people who say there weren't any good releases this year...Here's my haul.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...sed-lately-part-13.311460/page-6#post-8798961

Disappointed more of you guys didn't snag Brubeck. I was really excited for that one. Passed on the Cream box because it was like...$100.

22. WLarkin910

WLarkin910 New Member

23. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

The only RSD item that I REALLY wanted was the Bardo Pond 12". Everything else was really secondary. The first stores I hit had no idea what I was talking about (which is fine, there must have been a couple hundred releases). The last store I hit received one, which the clerk flat-out told me he was saving for himself. I'm not sure what bummed me out more: the fact that he kept the only copy for himself...or that he was inconsiderate enough to admit that his personal collection came before a customer. Maybe I'm overly sensitive about it (very possible), but I spent over $300 all over town today on vinyl, and had my last stop been my first, I would have headed home buying nothing from anyone.

24. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

White Stripes is not even really limited, there will be mountains of them just wait.

25. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You can tell Bullmoose Chris your story and that store will get a call from the RSD people.

rod likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.