I have a big problem. My stereo is too good, too accurate. I can't stand it sometimes.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

This has all been fixed months ago, gang.

bhazen, Keith V and Mister Charlie like this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

And I was gonna suggest one of them 3 foot high monolith looking things that people stick their iPods in :)

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Audio Note magic!

4. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

There's always the possibility that your stereo is detailed yet not producing an accurate timbre or realistic tonality. There's no such thing as "too accurate", but there are extremely accurate components that don't sound musical or real. These components induce listening fatigue, which should be avoided at all costs. For me, the trick is getting all the accuracy while also sounding as real as possible. I don't think this is a parameter that can be measured, but it needs to be designed for in order to avoid producing a fatiguing component. Audio equipment needs to be engineered AND built with a touch of art as well.

Well ****, didn't see you solved the issue. What was it?

5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

You finally got a Bose system?

Burt and Keith V like this.
  6. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

What did you end up with as your solution? I've seen reference to some Mac tube gear.

Like you, I play an incredibly wide rang of recordings of every quality imaginable simply because I need to hear the music. I'm a classical musician so I want as much accuracy as I can get, but making all of the mediocre and worse recordings acceptable without losing the resolution and spatial information has needed to be a primary goal when putting together a system. That and being on a budget.... I think I've hit a combination that works well now, but I've had a couple that made me feel a bit like you did at the beginning of the thread. When the system kills the music it needs to be changed, no other answer.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Foruntately, I have developed multiple personality psychosis, and most of them are superb musicians so I get a free gig in my head whenever I want.

Look Mom, no wires!

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

There's a couple threads he posted about Audio Note gear listed here and the PS Audio gear listed here. I also recall reading that he has some higher end Audio Note UK gear on loan as well as their speakers. Also there's a thread with a VPI Classic 2 which has become one of his favorites. I'm thinking it is either this gear or combinations of some of these pieces that fixed the problem for him in one way or another. Must be nice to have all those great components to play with! :agree:

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Hi Steve. Having read your post i think the only logical suggestion if its too good is downgrading! Have you tried contacting Alba or Goodmans..?.:edthumbs:

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Simple solution, Steve. The present revealing system for when you need that accuracy. Second system more down to earth and fun for less than ideal recordings.

11. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Chasing audio perfection can be the most maddening thing. I know that what I have now is the best sounding system I've ever had and I'm still thinking it's not good enough. It's like looking for something that's not there. Oy vey.

12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I second the "two glasses of wine"
    My music always sounds significantly more musical after a little alcohol.
    That goes for live concerts as well which seem to really hit their groove well into beer #2.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm very lucky.

beowulf and ElizabethH like this.
  14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I think many of us are, and to know it is what it is all about. To your health, Steve.

15. Gene Zucker

Gene Zucker Forum Resident

How can one really know its near perfect? It might only appear to be according to the limits of what we know today, and be declared to be "state of the art." Tomorrows technology may make it blush.

I have had systems in the past that produced the same kind of end results, but were not truly neutral. But were convincingly neutral, because of relative comparison with systems easy to hear were not having perfect resolution. But, at the time I could not tell it was not neutral until I found something more transparent.For it created something "convincingly real."

Well? How about these? Are you without any speaker crossover distortion? No crossover phase shifts? Its something we can not know we are hearing with 99.99% of the speakers available. For it is always there.

And, is the system without any electronic signal criss-crossing effect found in your esoteric interconnects and speaker cables? Not so, unless its something like true litz. These "taken for granted" baggage add distortions that we do not know are there until after something without it takes its place. Its like someone in LA assuming the air is fresh on certain days until they visit the mountain areas of Montana. Its all relative. How can you really know its really near perfect resolution? All it takes is one yet-to-be-discovered distortion that has not been accounted for, and it will destroy what is assumed to be.

Besides.. Don't certain cuts get mixed intentionally with counter distortions as a means to offset the distortions found in many typical audio set ups? A near perfect system requires that one become a snob and discriminate as to what gets played, and learn to calmly accept that certain recordings will never sound good on a great system. One should get another system for those cherished poorly recorded songs.

Its like... one should not become disappointed and frustrated when their painful sinus infection finally clears up, to find they now smell the septic tank backing up in a never before offensive and pungent way. Keep the crappy recordings away from that system! ;-)

If I were in your shoes? I would face the facts with resolve and get a second (less expensive) system suited for the crappy recordings.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  16. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I don't have anything as high-end as what you have to listen to, but I look around here (listen, more to the point) and count my blessings often.

17. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

smartphone, a portable Bluetooth speaker and spotify might just do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.