I have no Sinatra on vinyl! Shame on me. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McGuy, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I like Frank in general but I’m not sure which album to buy first or if I should just get one of the compilations and be done. I’m not a Collector. Thanks!

2. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

"September of my Years" and "Watertown" are (probably) my favourites.

pdenny, audiotom and Dan33185 like this.
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Any particular Frank period appeal to you? The Capitol years have excellent recent reissues. Might be a good place to start if you like that era.

Karnak, Otlset and McGuy like this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Live At the Sands. Backed by the Count Basie Big Band. He was at his peak and it's easy to hear. One of my favorite live records!

Eurofan, TonyG, paulewalnutz and 2 others like this.
  5. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Always loved the Frank and Basie album, because my father played it constantly in the mid 60s, its the soundtrack of summer and going in our pool during that time. In fact I hooked up the outdoor magnavox speakers for my father from same console so he could enjoy it on the deck getting a tan,I was 6 years old.
    Frank and Count Basie album with "Fly me to the moon", "More" and "I wish you love". In fact Im going to find a good version now.
    I use to call it the Frank and Splank album. "It might as well be Spring" I think is the name of the album. John M.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Record Rotator and McGuy like this.
  6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

audiotom and apesfan like this.
  7. McGuy

Thanks!

8. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

Songs For Swinging Lovers has been my 'go-to' Sinatra album for a few decades now. Still sounds as good today.

FJFP, x2zero, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  9. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yep Capitol, and with orchestration by Billy May -- my favorites.

10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Get Round#1

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Get all the Monos you can find. They can be had cheap.

Also any grey label Capitol are great!

TonyG likes this.
  12. McGuy

So if it’s a reissue I want Capitol, not wax time.

Karnak and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

He has lots of great albums, but here's some places to start. or one of the hundred greatest hits albums. Capitol years tend to be favored, then Reprise, then Columbia. Generally speaking. I'm sure you can find those who favor each phase and would say I'm wrong.

Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
    Come Fly with Me
    Come Dance with Me!
    It Might as Well Be Swing (with Count Basie, this one is really hot and swings!)

McGuy likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Most certainly! As long as they aren't duophonic or any other fake stereo, any vintage Capitol pressing should sound great.

McGuy likes this.
  15. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

[QUOTE="apesfan, post

I use to call it the Frank and Splank album. "It might as well be Spring" I think is the name of the album. John M.[/QUOTE]

It might as well be Swing, sorry for my error, John M.

16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

What do all here think of the Lp box from Mofi. It was silver with original album covers that opened differently if I remember. Geo disc etc.
    Like most of the great audio stuff I had I sold this box set in the mid 90s. Paid about 250 dollars sold for about $600. To me on my Sota table they were great with many stereo pressings iirc. John.

17. McGuy

I picked up september, might as well be swing and swingin' lovers

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

My favorite Frank song is Fly Me to the Moon (aka In Other Words). I just love the minimal orchestration of that tune, especially in comparison to the Nelson Riddle stuff that I think is overly sappy.

It's on this album:

[​IMG]

apesfan, Guitarded and McGuy like this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Sinatra and Swingin' Brass is my favorite studio album and Sinatra At The Sands my favorite live recording.

CBackley likes this.
  20. McGuy

I’m gonna get addicted to Sinatra all over again I feel. I think the 3 I got are enough to start. Decided on “original” copies vs buying brand new off amazon for now.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

After having hung out on the forum threads with the Mr Sinatra Pack (Matt, MMM and Bob -all three experts in all things Frank Sinatra), this imo would be your best bet:

If you arent opposed to CD (I know you said vinyl) then start with:

The Capitol Years (3cd set from 1990) very good and proper mastering. Also a nice Capitol career spanning selection.

Songs For Swingin Lovers: either the latest reissue that most likely uses the MFSL mastering or the hybrid mfsl sacd

In The Wee Small Hours: the latest reissue

September Of My Years: Find the Kevin Gray mastering

Sings For Only The Lonely: Hold off a bit and see what the new deluxe edition sounds like from reviews

Come Fly With Me: latest reissue

Thats a darn fine start and some of Mr Sinatra's best albums for cheap. The problem with original vinyl is that it either is in pretty good shape yet has weird processing and echo on it or if its grey label without the echo then the condition is worn out grooves. The latest reissue albums are done very good and pretty cheap. A much better time to be a Frank Sinatra fan than a decade ago.

But, if youre happy and got what you need? So be it. Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  22. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That band could really swing.:righton:

jeff

23. McGuy

Thanks! I have no CD player yet. I’d like to get a McIntosh cd but pricey.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sings for Only the Lonely

jeffd7030, Kicker55 and Karnak like this.
  25. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Fortunately for you, the current crop of Sinatra albums in print have been largely excellent. As part of the Sinatra 100 campaign, Universal (UMe) has reissued many of his best albums on vinyl, and the packaging and sound quality has been mostly top notch.

If I were just dipping my toe in for the first time, I'd go with 'In the Wee Small Hours' and 'Songs for Swingin' Lovers' to get started. That way you get one of his best ballad records and one of his best dance records. The yin and the yang so to speak.

CBackley, mbleicher1 and McGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.