I have rediscovered vinyl -- and it is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Yesterday I was reorganizing my listening room when I decided to play some vinyl records. I have not played vinyl for many years. I first played Clouds by Joni Mitchell. I was awestruck by how great the music sounded! I was so impressed that I played four other Joni Mitchell records in a row. Vinyl is so different sounding compared to the way CD's sound. I was immediately struck by how 'easy on the ears' vinyl sounds compared to CD's. There was no listener fatigue. Plus, the sound stage was huge, much larger than a CD. It was as if I could hear the ambiance of the recording studio. Every instrument was clearly defined. I compared Blue on my gold CD to my vinyl version. The CD sounded very good, especially for a CD. But the vinyl version was just so much better. The sound was bigger. Not louder, but bigger. I guess that I will need to buy a record cleaner now.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

That's just plain crazy talk....:shh::righton:

Licorice pizza, Raylinds and spindly like this.
  3. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Doesn't anybody screen these posts???
    ;-)

4. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Nice to see vinyl getting love in Inverness. Used to hook my table to my guitar amp up on Dewey Road and let the records blast across the lawns.
    Not much Joni at that point. Hope some young punk is carrying on that way today.

5. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Congrats on your re-discovery, enjoy the ride!

Licorice pizza likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You've been a forum member since 2002 and you've only rediscovered vinyl recently? Is that some sort of record (no pun intended)? :)

Enjoy the music!

7. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Welcome home!:)

8. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Well, DUH! :righton:

Enjoy.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Good for you! Now enjoy..... :)

10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yeah and he's only scratching the surface! (no pun intended).:biglaugh:

JG

Gaslight likes this.
  11. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Another HUGE Joni M. fan.....and yes, the vinyl route is the best way to experience her magnificent vocals.

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Vinyl has .....life! Spinning a fun one as I type.
    [​IMG]

13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

One of the better sounding rock albums ever!

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

The biggest factor in how much I've enjoyed my personal return to vinyl is my Spin Clean. It makes a huge difference to play clean records!

If your budget can handle it, one of the vacuum types would probably be better. But the Spin Clean is all I need and does and amazing job for the price.

warp2600 and Slick Willie like this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

With a terrible drawing - the artist cannot draw fingers (yeah, I know - who's looking at her hands?)

16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Isn't it a Vargas? He's one of the most famous pinup girl artists.

SwollenGoat and Slick Willie like this.
  17. Slick Willie

Most all of his work have "fingers" that don't quite look natural, overly thin/long fingers, methinks it was just his style, not a lack of talent. He got a lot of other body parts right.:pineapple:

18. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Hands are very hard to draw.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

yes it is, but he was getting on at the time he drew that.

"The album cover was painted by artist Alberto Vargas, who was known for his paintings of pin-up girls that appeared in Esquire and Playboy magazines in the 1940s and 1960s. The idea to hire Vargas came from drummer David Robinson, the band's artistic director and a collector of pin-ups. The 83-year-old Vargas had retired several years earlier but was persuaded to take the assignment by his niece, who was a fan of The Cars. The painting, depicting a woman sprawled across the hood of a car, was based on a photo shoot directed by Robinson at a Ferrari dealership. The model, coincidentally named Candy Moore (famous for having played Lucille Ball's onscreen daughter on The Lucy Show), briefly dated Robinson afterward."

WikiPedia.

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Cd players / DACs have come a long way in the past few years. Put a few grand into it and you will hear digital in a new way.

21. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

You have a point. However, she has two.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I suspect that won't be true for the OP. According to his profile his LP playback setup is similar (same cartridge, slightly inferior IMHO table/arm/preamp) to what I have. I don't think it's even close to the sound of the Oppo 95 (which I have in my HT setup), but he apparently likes it better.

23. Slick Willie

Really? In what way? Are not the algorithms the same? Are not the upper DAC's pretty much the same? Transports may have gotten better - in the upper level stuff....maybe.

24. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

They really have. It's not just the "algorithms" as you put it. There are many types of DAC technologies and even more implementations. A little research on the will leave you with a better understanding. Yes source units have gotten better as well. When you combine a solid source with a modern high quality DAC the results are excellent. They don't have to break the bank (I realize the is relative) either. I am very happy with my Line Magnetic LM515 as a CD player. Equally as happy with the Chord Hugo DAC. At the same time a decent player with a $~500 DAC is capable of good sound.

Of course I'll happily admit too that I don't see myself replacing my vinyl setup anytime soon.

25. Slick Willie

Cool, I have multiple 1792 Burr Browns in my Denon 5910ci, have the DAC's really progressed much beyond that? At one time their top DAC, maybe still?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.