I have rediscovered vinyl -- and it is AWESOME

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Opinions may differ, of course, but I think few would compare the Denon 5910 to any current DAC's in the $1500-2500 range (apparently the current "sweet spot"), and perhaps not even to the best of the $500-$1000 ones.

2. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 5910 and it's implementation of the Burr Brown DAC, but my answer is yes. If you are interested there is no shortage of information our there on DACs and their usage in audio. There are many many different implementations and chipsets. As an example my Hugo uses FPGA. Schiit has a new take on a DAC never before used in audio but commonly used in other industries.

I think this is digressing the thread away from the intent though, so I'll stop here. A good vinyl set up is truly fantastic IMHO.

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Enjoy every minute of it, JohnnyK--and don't let any of the naysayers wreck it for you. Every thread need not devolve into a digital vs vinyl debate. There are plenty of threads about members' great new cd players/DACs and I bet you have no plan to spoil those parties.

Ash76, jupiterboy and dcottrell6 like this.
  4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Welcome back

5. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Great sounding record!

c-eling and Slick Willie like this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You have a promo copy like I do. I gave mine a spin just last night. Great sounding album.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Candy-O is a great sounding album, but I've had a weird experience with it. I have a Japanese pressing and the Mobile Fidelity version. The MoFi is a little too clean...there's great separation, but the instruments don't bleed together the way they should. I prefer the Japanese pressing, although I can only assume it's farther down the generation chain than even the standard pressing.

The debut MoFi, though, is jaw-dropping.

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

They did do a nice job on the debut, have not heard their others.

MadMelMon likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'll take your word on that as I have not researched. Also, I was not talking directly about the player, more about the DAC's it uses. I'm sure a dedicated unit would have a better overall presentation than a do-it-all unit as was the Denon in it's day.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

By the numbers, the vast majority of SH Forum members have no idea what digital can sound like. My player from 2008 will take a pretty good beating from any number of options today, but I'd wager a great deal that the performance would drop jaws within seconds. Our collective expectations should be higher and they are being met. Gotta stay informed though.

11. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Glad to see you made it back, enjoy!

12. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Welcome back and enjoy your records.Today my Dutch first pressing copy of Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind has arrived finally.All I can say is that as if Bruce is in the listening room right now with me, the vinyl is that good.No competition with the cd version, again a first press! I have nothing against cds, I have hundreds of them, they can sound great also with proper mastering but for analog recordings vinyl is the best way to hear them and it's unbeatable.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

As one old geezer to another "It took you this long to figure out that vinyl sounds great?" :winkgrin:

Slick Willie likes this.
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted a post and a number of responses. If an ironic joke does not land for more than half of the thread participants, then it has the same effect as a thread crap.

15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Welcome to the Dark Side. Give up all hope of savings accounts, he who wanders here.

jupiterboy likes this.
  16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I've compared vinyl to $5000 converters. Sounds great ! Still prefer vinyl easily however. Digital and it's mastering practices is still what it is. Dosent matter what you use for conversion. The room acoustics matter 1000% more than any of that stuff anyway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  17. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Lol! Hey, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Or reappear. :)

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I thought my response was clearly about DAC's, not players?

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

...and looking ;)

20. Well done, dude, well done...

[​IMG]

Slick Willie likes this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is a Chris Farley-approved thread.

[​IMG]

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Welcome home, brother!

Licorice pizza likes this.
  23. Further

Further Forum Resident

Really? Wow, I must've got a defective copy or something. It's one of the crappiest sounding records I have. My original copy from back in the day beats it easily. It was the first and last MoFi vinyl I bought, figuring they were over-hyped and not worth the extra money. Quite disappointing, really.

24. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I think that you must have gotten a bad copy as my Mofi Candy-O is quite good. Do you really have Mirage 750s? How cool! When I was in high school, I bought an all rosewood cabinet Luxman system and was going to buy Mirage 750s, until my buddy told me I would be crazy not to buy these amazing Cerwin Vegas that he heard at a party! Oyyyy. I regretted that decision for years!

25. Further

Further Forum Resident

Actually, he was referring to the Cars debut album, not Candy-O. I have the debut from MoFi and that's the one that doesn't sound very good to me. I have an original copy of Candy-O that kicks ass, so never bothered looking for another.

Yes, I really have a pair of Mirage 750's. I understand they are getting quite hard to find now with the original drivers still intact. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find the stands that were designed for them but I have them about 10" off the floor. I will say this - they image better than any other speaker I've heard. Unbelievable, really. I had heard great things about them and when I saw a pair pop up near Ottawa, I jumped on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.