I have some money saved up for gear. Where should I spend it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by schugh, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schugh

schugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've saved up about $4K.
    You can see my gear in my profile. Basically:
    Maggie 3.7i, CCR, and 1.7s for loudspeakers. Dual REL subs
    Bryston 7BSST2, ARC LS27, Benchmark DAC2 HDR, Oppo 103D
    VPI Classic Signature with 12" 3D tonearm (with Periphery ring and ADS), Dynavector XX Mark II, Zesto Andros Phono Stage.
    Also for visual entertainment, Epson 6030 and Anthem MRX510 and Stewart screen.

I myself have been thinking about stepping up from the 7BSST2 to the 7BSST3 (which came out a year after I bought the SST2, bummer).
    I like the maggies, don't want to change them.
    I think the LS27 is fine. Not changing my turntable.

I listen to vinyl and digital and enjoy both equally.

I could update the DAC to maybe the Bryston BDA3? But I'm not sure.
    Not interested in updating the projector or Oppo at this time.

Or maybe I should just save the money and go on a vacation?

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Tough call, as spending another $4k more might not yield a great improvement with your sound, but taking trip will only last about 2 weeks and it's gone... :D

What to do, what to do!

Carraway and hi_watt like this.
  3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Why go on vacation? Your only going to wind up back home anyway.
    Music is forever :)

Dave, arglebargle, Juan Matus and 2 others like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Hmmm. Unforgettable life experiences... or more stuff that you already have?

Tough call.

SandAndGlass, Mike-48, somnar and 8 others like this.
  5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

More records mate ....

6. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

You have $4ooo clams? You already have the goodies, I would save the cash. Maybe later on go buys some lp's or something....

Dale A B, bluesky and Carraway like this.
  7. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Vacation.

Carraway likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't spend any of it on gear. Go to your local grocery and stock up on Fab.

Carraway likes this.
  9. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

If I had that system and was looking to spend around $4K on more musical enjoyment, I'd probably:

- Go to more shows and concerts, possibly including traveling. For me, spending a few nights haunting New York's jazz venues would be a good way to quickly part with a lot of money.
    - Buy more music.
    - Buy another instrument. Digital piano, keyboard, guitar, theremin...
    - If it has to be on playback equipment, a fairly inexpensive, simpler system in a workshop, study, garage, or similar.
    - Attend the 24 Hours of LeMans and hear the sound of engines roaring down the Mulsanne Straight at 3AM (with good ear protection). Well, that's something that's been on my bucket list for a while, anyway.

Dave and timind like this.
  10. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Not familiar with most of your setup so my thoughts here may not be worth considering/of much value. Am only commenting on areas I am familiar with and possibly pertinent to you. OTOH what I did recently was go on several "mini-vacations", and enjoyed it/them much more than one longer trip.

I listened/compared the 103D & 105D to the Cambridge Audio 752BD (and others). Both the 105D and the 752BD were noticeably a step above the 103D in SQ. The two were close w/ only slight differences, I went w/ the 752BD since I got it at a closeout price @$500 less than the OPPO, but it was close. I know you said you weren't interested in replacing the OPPO, but I would still suggest an upgrade is possible, maybe keep it for HT? IMO there are many "better" options than the 103D as a transport, including both the 105D and the 752BD. But granted I was comparing them with their onboard DACs which doesn't apply in your case. What other CDPs do use?
    I have the Anthem 710 and one thing I did and am very pleased/happy with you may want to consider (and use a chunk of your cash). I added a Zone 2 pair of speakers (in my case - in the kitchen). Ever thought of that? Have never heard your Maggies, have heard the 1.7, 1.6 and Super MMGs. 3.7i AND 1.7s? In the same room? How big is your room? Or do you use the 1.7s as your zone 2? Anyhow my main point in this area is add a second pair of speakers, possibly adding a different sound than the Maggies.
    The Bryston BDA3 will add DSD - that matter?
    One last comment - hope you enjoy it (and happy with it) either way. Good luck and have fun deciding!

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Norway if you haven't been...otherwise, new gear :D

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Speaker cables, interconnects, power cords and dedicated 20 amp lines.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Jim13 and sushimaster like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nothing satisfies better than spending $4k on $100 worth of copper, gold plating and snake oil.:shh:

LarryP, Manimal, SandAndGlass and 6 others like this.
  14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Nothing says ignorant quite like your comment.

Jim13 and Dave like this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not ignorant, educated.

SandAndGlass, Bingo Bongo and timind like this.
  16. jazzyjm

jazzyjm Well-Known Member

Buy some more LP's. Near Mint originals :)
    It's already an excellent system you have there.

Helom likes this.
  17. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I'd also add power conditioner to that list. Something bad ass like Running Springs or similar.

Dave and F1nut like this.
  18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

+1.

I've been wanting to get one for some time, but prices here in Oz are outlandish.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

If you take your digital stereo seriously then try to hear the Jeff Rowland Aeris DAC/PRE

I compared my friends one in my system against my Benchmark DAC2 HGC using an OPPO 105 as the transport.

The Benchmark is a great unit but the Aeris took things to another level.......

Listen to one.......see if you think it sounds better to you and, if so,......$4K better?
    A pre loved unit should come close to your budget.
    Plus your Benchmark could be sold off to help raise funds.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Very nice equipment already! I'm really not sure what you could spend $4,000 on and have any significant improvement. Maybe phono cartridge? Otherwise, save it or go on vacation. :righton:

Manimal, SandAndGlass and somnar like this.
  21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

It's probably pretty satisfying to the person selling it.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Vacation! I'm a firm believer in this. Early vacations with the kids, later vacations with my wife; the memories of those are absolutely priceless.

Tim Irvine, Helom, Juan Matus and 3 others like this.
  23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I don't know, I could be wrong, but I think it might lend just a tad bit of credibility to your opinions if you were more forthcoming about what gear you're running. When people say what they think does or does not sound good I almost immediately dismiss the opinions of anyone who won't disclose their gear. If people have a sense of where you're coming from they might be a little more open to your ideas. Or that could all just be me. In which case it doesn't really matter all that much what I think. I use my own ears to decide what I think does or does not sound good in my system. But I am always curious to know what others with comparable gear have experienced.

SandAndGlass, Dave, Helom and 2 others like this.
  24. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

One thing to think about would be room acoutics. With a system like you have, it could take it to a whole other level.

Raylinds and toddrhodes like this.
  25. You don't mention it in your OP, nor it there mention on your profile page, so let me ask:

1. How much vinyl do you have? Perhaps a higher-end RCM would be a good investment.
    2. Have you addressed your room acoustics? If not....definitely do this.
    3. Have you properly isolated your turntable? Perhaps an active or passive platform is in order?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.