I inherited my father in law's record collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rendit, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendit

rendit Forum Resident Thread Starter

My father in law Bob died last year at 68 years of age. He was an Australian Vietnam Veteran and loved music which we bonded over when he was alive. I am very fortunate that he left me his record collection in his will. I collected the records last week, it is a nine hour drive from his house to where I live so getting them took a bit of time and coordination. I would estimate there are around 400 to 500 records, it feels like a once in a lifetime haul that I got too early and that I should have received these years down the track rather than now.

Now the process of cleaning them and playing them begins. Bob's favourite music was blues-based rock, this collection is mainly 70's but stretches from the late 60's to the mid-80's. The most recent record appears to be INXS Kick from 1987. I will probably seek some guidance from this forum as I go through them, my own collection is mainly late 70's onwards (heaps of punk and post-punk and on to 80's and 90's indie) which a lot of this stuff pre-dates.

Here is a picture of the first batch of 10 I have cleaned.

[​IMG]

I plan to post selections on this thread as I go through the records over the coming months and years. I think everyone on this forum would like their collection to live on and be appreciated after they pass, and that is what I plan to do with Bob's.

First cab off the rank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one needs needs no introduction, a 1980 repress of the first Australian album. It's just great to have an Aussie version of this, all I had prior to this was the International Tracks version on CD. This plays fantastic, no skips just a low level noise floor that is audible at times. That AC/DC is one amazing band is something that Bob and I definitely agreed on.

2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the towards the blues album by chain is a classic :)

rendit, Mylene, Bonddm and 5 others like this.
  3. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Seems like the collection landed in a good home!

I’m sure your father-in-law would be happy you’re enjoying the music.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

RIP to your father in law Bob. My condolences.

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Shame you have then in that way but great his collection has gone to someone who will love them!

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would hang on to all those mate. You have pure gold pictured!

Exotiki, rendit, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for posting your message and sharing your story here.

8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

First of all, sorry for your loss.
    Second of all, it's great that his treasured collection is going to be loved in the same way it always has been.

9. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

This is a poignant event really - obviously sad news that your father in law died relatively young. A collection bequeathed like this is something special and it is good that the records have ended up where they are appreciated on all levels. Will be happy to read the updates as you work through these. I wonder sometimes who will get my records, they require quite a bit of storage so it's not obvious that my son would be such a willing recipient.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

My inclination would be to play each of them once, make notes regarding sound quality, the condition of each record, and whether you like the music or not. And then carefully preserve them. For family and historical purposes. Years later, you and others will be glad you did.

11. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Well, since the two of you bonded together over music, that's why he willed all those tunes to you. And you can honor him by playing the music, and maybe even keeping him in mind... Enjoy!

12. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Good that these are in good hands. I would be interested to see what other accadacca you have Aussie DDDDC/LTBR? . TNT is a corker. What is the pressing?

rendit likes this.
  13. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

yes, our condolences, and you are in our prayers. Losing good people is sad/depressing.

Enjoy the amazing NEW collection. treat them well....
    now you have to buy inner sleeves, outer sleeves, all that fun stuff. its well worth it for the longevity of the records.

i buy those mo-fi inner sleeves, with Japanese re-sealable mylar sleeves, they are very nice. and a great predictor for records.

enjoy !

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Condolences, and yes, thank you for sharing with us. I look forward to keeping up here.
    This is exactly how I hope to have my collection appreciated by my son, who has shared my love for music on vinyl, his entire 34+ years.

kronning, rendit and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Two that would be my faves are:

Howlin' Wolf

and

Doors L.A. Woman

Does the latter have the cellophane yellow bit on the cover?

Is it a UK or Aussie press.

If I were you I'd set aside an evening and down a few beers while listening to his music as a dedication to him... you fellas do have beer Down Under, right? :winkgrin:

16. JackS

JackS Then Play On

That he is passed is a true loss, in so many ways.
    That he thought of you, as a traveler in his musical journey, is a treasure.
    You are in for the time of your musical life !

jlf, richierichie, rendit and 3 others like this.
  17. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Totally agree, as is the Madderlake album next to it (Butterfly Farm possibly, me thinks).
    That’s where the real gold is, people are going to tell you the AC/DC, Chisel, INXS, stuff is wonderful, (and it is), but earlier 70’s stuff like Billy Thorpe, Madderlake, Chain, Spectrum, La De Das, Daddy Cool, Blackfeather, Sherbet, Skyhooks, Band Of Light, etc. should also be cherished.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Sorry for your loss. Those AC/DC albums look yummy though!

rendit likes this.
  19. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

So cool that the two of you bonded over music rendit. I’m sorry to hear of your loss but, think of it that Bob will live on with you through his music collection. I often wonder who I would want to have my audio and music collection end up with, and don’t really have anyone I feel would appreciate it like me. Bob obviously felt you were the right person and would be thrilled at how carefully you’ve taken it in. Happy listening and enjoy this treasure!!

20. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Don't forget Buffalo.

rendit, Haggis Wampovich and Linus like this.
  21. In time, unlocking and deciphering memorial record inheritances, could become its own separate section in this forum. Regardless of genre, each collection is a journey and a reflection of its originator, keep an open mind, and enjoy.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So sorry for your loss. That is all.

23. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

The beauty of a physical-format legacy. A record collection and personal library collect the emotions, reflections and aspirations of a lifetime. With 'digital' on the other hand, it's as if someone had not existed; it replaces reality with virtuality.

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Of course my condolences for your loss.

Also, wow, that’s an awesome collection. And now I’m thinking “Goddamn the powers that be for not rereleasing the Australian AC/DC records worldwide!

Man at C&A, rendit and OptimisticGoat like this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Very well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.