I just bought an Onkyo A 9050

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scottc1963, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, after a down sizing and purge of some music and hardware, I still wanted to listen to 2 channel music, so after looking at my bank account, I decides on the Onkyo A-9050. I had an injury to my left ear so crictical listening is not a priority anymore, but I want a decent build that would handle a turntable and some computer based music. Going to hook up my Oppo 103, Technics 1700 and my computer to it. Hoping it isn't to " muddy sounding", anyone have any thoughts on this model? Thanks.

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I'll bet it will sound just fine.

ether-bored likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Congratulations and good listening.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Is that a class D amp? I've not been real thrilled with the heft of the bass with class D amps, once the volume gets turned up the bass seems to go south.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good shout! Hope you enjoy the new purchase, Onkyo are making some good stuff these days.

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Best of luck with it and don't stop listening!

7. scottc1963

Thanks.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Doesn't look like one. Looks like a regular, component-sized amp, likely Class B (though I am not certain).

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Onkyo makes good class A/B amps. My 2007 Onkyo TX SR 606 has seven of them, very smooth, clean and detailed, with a solid grip on the bass.

Brother_Rael and tmtomh like this.
  10. scottc1963

Just wanted to get something that had decent sound and a quality build. I will report back when it arrives.

11. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I've had my 9050 for a few months and really like it. For the price, and your stated needs, I think you made a good choice.

12. scottc1963

Well,I bought an Onkyo A-9050, but I am having trouble. It shuts off after a bit of playing time, about 15 to 20 minutes. I have never had the volume past 9 o'clock and have hooked up two different pairs of speakers (Older and brand new pairs). I called Accessories 4 less and didn't have the best time with customer service and now have requested a return (which is by email) over the weekend and had no response as of Monday evening. Then I am reading return policy and they can still charge you 15% restock fee. I hope this goes better, but I will not buy from this company again.

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Always buy from Amazon.

I am deciding between this and the 9010.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Interesting tidbit. Found 9050 only does 96/24 over coaxial and optical.

9010 does 192/24 over coaxial and 96/24 over optical.

15. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

My 9070 is like the 9010 in that it does 192/24 over coaxial and 96/24 over optical.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I wish I could afford the 9070, looks like a nice piece.

Good info, I wonder why the 9050 is different ? Makes my choice easier.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Mind if I ask what happened and to what extent your ear was damaged ? Really sorry about your problem.

18. scottc1963

Had a light fixture at work fall on my left side of my head, causing that inner ear thingy to become damaged. I still have ringing in it. But found another 9050 through another seller and it seems to be doing it's job. Sounds pretty good. Thanks for asking.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I'm currently considering this amp. Will it drive my Elac B6's ok? Any other thoughts on this?

20. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

It should be plenty. I had an Integra DTM 5.3 by Onkyo and it was a fine amp

21. scottc1963

I am using the Pioneer SP-BS41-LR speakers with this ( with an Oppo 103) and it sounds pretty dang good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.