I just had a seller on Ebay tell me the post office doesn't accept records for media mail

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ATSMUSIC, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I'm at the Post Office right now...

Vinyl records in packaging exceed 13 ounces, which is the limit for first class mail. Therefore, vinyl records cannot be sent first class. They can, however be sent Priority Mail.

Just for curiosity, I got a comparison quote from the post office clerk for one LP properly packaged, shipped within the US. The package was weighed by them on their scale. Here are the costs, based on the current fees:

$3.12 Media

$10.55 Priority Mail (includes $50 worth of insurance)

These numbers are typical, in my experience. I almost always opt for Media Mail, unless it is a particularly valuable LP, or the person needs it to arrive a faster.

bru87tr likes this.
  2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

LPs are collectable antiques. :laugh: Not a CD or DVD.

A local clerk constantly yells at one customer for using Media Mail. Questioning him, if he's putting other items in the boxes. Course, the clerks are allowed to open the boxes for inspection. Just received some LPs that were shipped in a Jiffy Bag that were opened by USPS. It's 'stamped' on the package that it was inspected by USPS.

3. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Yikes!:eek:

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never knew it was limited to "educational materials" in that case that postal clerk who refused someone's records might have been correct.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

"Just shut up and do your job."

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Of course phonograph records are educational. Don't you remember that passage in "Smiling Faces" by Undisputed Truth?: "Take my advice, I'm only tryin' ta school ya?"

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I had to Google " Jiffy Bag. " :shrug: Bubble mailer 'round here.

Matt Starr likes this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

so the seller only shipped some of what you bought?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.