I just heard America's first album? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Desert Explorer, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desert Explorer

Desert Explorer Music Enthusiast Thread Starter

Anything similar to their music?

2. honzalong

honzalong Forum Resident

3. honzalong

honzalong Forum Resident

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

America's second album. :)

Fred68, autumn daze, JohnC and 9 others like this.
  5. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Neil Young.:)

smarone313, Bobby Buckshot and willy like this.
  6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Crosby Stills and Nash (1969 debut)

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I had long rejected America as merely another '70s soft rock act, a genre that doesn't interest me at all.

One day not too long ago, a friend came over with some records, one of which was an early album by America (I'm not sure which one). I was surprised to find that I really liked it. Looking at the credits, I saw that the supporting musicians were many of the same folks that played on a lot of the great Los Angeles rock and pop records of the mid-late '60s. While listening, I picked up on the linear connection between what America was doing c.1972 and the Sunset Strip folk- and country-rock from a few years earlier (Gram Parson-era Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, etc.), which I like.

I've been meaning to pick up some of their stuff...

bluemooze likes this.
  8. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

If you like their first album you'll probably like the next two, Homecoming and Hat Trick, despite the latter having "Muskrat Love" on it. Their fourth album, Holiday, is their first produced by George Martin, and the beginning of a slicker, more pop sound. It's still good stuff but be aware it's a definite change in direction.

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Get this one now, an excellent album produced by none other than George Martin of Beatles fame.

[​IMG]

SixOClockBoos and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  10. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

In all my years listening to music there has been this one song that instantly reminded me of America..it uncannily sounds exactly like them:

Volt-and-Volume, ssmith3046 and JohnC like this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Little River Band

12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Re Neil Young/CSN(Y), I'd say that whole "family" a la pretty much everything that those four guys have been involved with. So also Buffalo Springfield, the Byrds to some extent, Stills, Crosby and Nash's solo albums, etc.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

every album in the america catalog has something to offer.

are there any perfect albums, absolutely not, but there is definitely enough good stuff on every album to warrant a serious listen.

not all of their albums are easy find on CD, and (i have no idea on this) but probably anything after 88 have probably never been on vinyl.

their box set "highway: 30 years of america" is nice overview.

anduandi, JohnC and kcjayhawk like this.
  14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Pretty much all of theirs I like. Also try to find America Live from around '77. Great sounding and performance!

15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Oh yeah....my favorite 70s album.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

17. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

After the Goldrush ~ Neil Young
    After Hours ~ Little River Band
    The Poco album with the orange trees on the cover.

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

In my opinion america never topped America.

It's their best album imo.

Hall Cat and lennonfan1 like this.
  20. JohnC

JohnC Forum Resident

This is really the hidden secret about America. Over the years, they've come to be known for a handful of iconic songs from the '70s and a big comeback hit in the early '80s. But the truth is, they have a very deep a catalog of album cuts over many decades that makes it worthwhile to collect all of their albums.

21. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

America-Homecoming is my favorite by them. Loggins and Messina, Firefall's first album, Eagles first two albums, Poco, James Taylor-Gorilla and In the Pocket. I love the soft-country-rock sound. In more of a country vein....Ozark Mtn Daredevils-It'll Shine When It Shines and Pure Prairie League-Bustin' Out.

22. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

The 5cd boxset above is cheap and full of good songs. Get it.
    Among the five, Homecoming is the best one for me.

23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I'll bet The Eagles put out a couple records you would like. And then there's the Flying Burrito Brothers. And 'Workingman's Dead'.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

In addition to the whole CSNY "family" that has been mentioned (CSNY and all of the members' solo projects and other bands), Tom Petty in his mellower moments has a lot in common with America. Try Wildflowers first, then if you're willing to try something more rock-oriented, try out some of the Heartbreakers albums.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

To go in a more British and esoteric direction...Nick Drake or John Martyn. America covered a Martyn song on their second album and have mentioned that a Nick Drake song title "Hazey Jane" inspired their song "Daisy Jane."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.