I just heard the light...quadraphonic sound from the 70’s!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh my...I’m a new convert.

After been hearing sound directed one way only...then hearing true quad sound sitting in chair. I’m blown away.

So I just set up my new Sansui quad receiver, a QRX 3500, with my new Toshiba 4track reel to reel. Put on Paul Simon’s greatest hits quad reel recording...Oh my. What a delight.

LOVE THE SOUND!!!. Even with a minute touch of tape hiss. So much dimension. Blown away.

I think some of you got to check this out. I love reading and hearing how dialed in you have everything, but seriously, you got to check this out. Having sound, and yes, this is way better than an A/V dolby, etc, encompassed around you in clear, concise manner...what a revelation.

I’m not sure why the big audio companies haven’t been pushing this all these years?

So some disclaimers. I couldn't use my favorite speakers, Sonus Faber Sonetto II’s (they are 4 ohm), and had to use some Polk TL3 satellites I had, But Wow!

On a quest now to get four complimentary 8ohm speakers just for the quad sound. This set up is going to sit right next to the main unit, forever.

I haven’t even tried the phono with my Stanton 881s yet. Super stoked on the quad reel to reel.

I’m sure this has been hashed over numerous times before...but I absolutely dig it.

2. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I'm glad you are enjoying the quad sound, to me it is artificial. I have never been to a live performance where I sat in the middle of the band or orchestra, sound has always
    come to me from the front with the sound bouncing off the rear and side walls. I totally prefer stereo. But, to each his own, continue enjoying.
    Bill

VinylSoul, seed_drill, russk and 2 others like this.
  3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Where have you been over the past 2 decades? Quad was reborn as Multichannel audio with SACDs, DVD-Audio, and BluRay Audio disks. Thousands of Quad mixes have been released on SACD over the past two decades now. Some of these were transferred directly as Quad mixes, while some others were further sub-divided to make 5.1 mixes.

So if Quad floats you boat, then I suggest that you find a used Oppo so that you can start playing Multichannel SACDs through your setup ASAP.

LA2019, quicksrt, PhilBiker and 7 others like this.
  4. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

It is not uncommon for bands to have their live gigs mixed in quadraphonic for the audience to have an even better live experience. It goes back to the 70s. Last time I enjoyed it was on the Hand.Cannot.Erase. Tour of Steven Wilson.

5. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I am not sure whether you are praising the mixes or the receiver. Probably both :) But I wanted to reply that I have got quite a few original quad mixes from the old days albeit not on reel to reel but transferred to SACD or DVD-A/BluRay.
    Pink Floyd, Tomita, Jethro Tull and some classical as well. They are real descrete mixes!

6. PB Point

Yes, I’m new to audio and had no idea this is what SACD was all about...I thought it was just finer sampling. Looks like the public was never properly introduced to it. :)

As always late to a party. Looks like I have to figure out SACD next along with enjoying four track tapes and recording my records to two and four track on the reel to reel.

Still a big fan of the Sansui receiver too. Just for others who are not familiar. There are a total of 4 rca cords to plug in for tape. Front speaker and Rear speaker inputs for both play and record. A total of 16 interconnects that divide the recordings on both the receiver and tape player. There is also an area on the receiver just for two track inputs.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd been sitting in the middle of band or orchestra for a couple decades...it's where I've been most comfortable (might be a little more to that perspective though of course...).

PB Point likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I was always interested in quad from the beginning back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Really too bad that it did not catch on back in the day.

Since I did not have quad, I would play an additional set of two speakers so I had to rear stereo speakers, which gave even 2-channel stereo an immersive effect.

I still do his to this day, using towers in the front and in the rear.

frummox, PB Point and Mister Charlie like this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Try the QS settings with some 1960s and 1970s stereo discs. Try those Beatles ones...oh what were they called...Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper and that 2-disc one without a real title... (original pressings, not digitally enhanced reissues)

:)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    PB Point likes this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Welcome to the fold.

11. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Yes. And some bands/performers have a speaker setup where the rear of "reinforcement" speakers are wired for some sort of delay or ambient effects. Not exactly quadraphonic, but it is a rear sound that differs slightly from the main stage monitors. It's sometimes strange, but interesting.

PB Point and warp2600 like this.
  12. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I love these Quad mixed sacd dvda n bluray audio
    With all that equipment u got u really should give some s try
    Duttonvocalion has some great multi channel sacd decently priced

Give em a spin...once u get that multi channel music bug you'll want it ALL in surround:agree:

quicksrt, Galactus2, PB Point and 2 others like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The first time I saw Pink Floyd, in the 70's, they had speakers encircling the auditorium near the ceiling. They panned the sound all around us in certain passages. It was pretty amazing. Immersive.

14. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

I've got some Q8 tape cartridges and a playback unit. Don't snicker - it's still quad.
    Gave it a try once with a couple of stereo amps and four speakers. It was interesting but no way do I have the room to dedicate for such a setup.

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

If you're "hearing" the light could be some residual effect from your 70's behavior?

clhboa, PB Point and warp2600 like this.
  16. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Got interested in Quad when I downloaded some Quad files and opened them up in Audacity a couple of years ago so I could hear the tracks separately. Don't have a Quad setup but researched some ancient Quad headphones which allegedly were never that good. For source material I presume everyone knows about Oxford Dickie and Captain Beyond although I'm not sure if they're still active.

17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Maybe you should try out Dutch band 'KONG', they have been doing live performances for decades in a quadrophonic setup (each member on a different stage with their own PA spread across the floor), it's quite an experience if you're used to a classic live set-up :
    Kong (band) - Wikipedia

KONG (link to a photo slideshow of their quadrophonic setup)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    PB Point likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Oh yes, I remember well the sonics in Madison Square Garden for their Animals tour in 1977 and The Wall in 1980

PB Point, Audiowannabee and unclefred like this.
  19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I wish I had seen the Animals tour!

20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I feel quite lucky I did, and even more fortunate to have attended two of the original performances of The Wall!

PB Point and Audiowannabee like this.
  21. Audiowannabee

Guys its the QUAD REVIVAL

Visit that other forum....
    quadraphonicquad.com

PB Point likes this.
  22. PB Point

Floyd sound mixers had a joystick to control the sound around the venues.

The Grateful Dead probably heard about that and scrapped the Wall of Sound.

I have my setups connected to a two amp/two speaker switch so it’s easy to go to different configurations.

The added bonus was scoring the quad reel to reel and quad receiver from Goodwill for less than $400.

The only bummer is that you have to run quad sound through 8 ohm + speakers only.

23. G E

G E Senior Member

I went to Gentle Giant concert in Reading UK in 1976 and part of their program was presented in quad. The crowd went ape. Lots of fun.

24. G E

G E Senior Member

A forum you should check immediately, if not sooner, is www.quadraphonicquad.com

It has much info and helpful members.

You should also pick up a universal player with capabilities for surround in SACD and DVD-A

There is still some content being produced in surround but not like it was at the advent of these new formats.

Surround is a blast! Enjoy.

Audiowannabee and PB Point like this.
  25. Audiowannabee

Get a Universal player (play sacd dvda bluray audio)...LOVE IT

I can't believe the music lables have damn near killed quad when they should have embraced it 40 years ago...im pissed we got stuck in stereo...we should have had music in surround our entire lives!!!

PB Point, TarnishedEars and monoman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.