I just saw all four Phantasm movies back-to-back

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kippy, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I only saw the first before my marathon. My reviews...

Phantasm I: 4 stars

Classic horror movie. This is the forth time I have seen it. Every time right to the end, I am not sure what is going on. I am glad I saw it originally when I was 12.

Phantasm II: 3.5 stars

Surprisingly good. It moves the plot forward, and it was a lot of fun. It was obviously influenced by Evil Dead 2. I had to double-check the release dates, and it was released the year after Evil Dead 2. Highly recommended double feature with the first movie.

Phantasm III: 2.5 stars

Some bad things in this one. A few good scenes, but plenty of ones that made my eyes roll. The flying spheres are sort-of-explained. Film looks cheap compared to the first two. Some ridiculous new characters. A big step down from the first two.

Phantasm IV: 1.5 stars

Just bad. Not much to like. Cheap sets. The movie was low-budget. Some new twists to the story arc. Old twists never explained.

Phantasm V: ??

Coming out next year. I am refusing to look at the trailer. I am glad they are able to wrap up the series.

2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Not a big fan of this series, though I can enjoy the original somewhat because it has something of an Italian Giallo look to it. And I can take Part 2 okay... but they got worse as they went along.

PANTASM IV: OBLIVION holds the dishonors for me of being one of the worst film I have ever seen, literally (and I've seen a lot of films). I recall it being a muddled, confusing mess.

3. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

A favorite series of mine. Love them all. Can't wait for V.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Boyyyyyy!
    3 is my favorite.

kevintomb likes this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Blu-ray of I ? !

Marble Index likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any news of Blu-ray of I ?

Marble Index likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Marble Index likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I had no idea they made more than two!

9. http://www.blu-ray.com/

Go here and sign up. If there is a film that's not out on blu ray, you can put in your email address for that title and you will be alerted via email when there's a release date.

Scope J likes this.
  10. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Bumping this thread...

Fans here probably know that JJ Abrams/Bad Robot created 4K Restoration and this is being shown at SXSW this week.

I'm sure a nice Bluray will come soon from all this, just gotta wait.

But I'm gonna be watching the series again tonight. I just finished another listening of the Mondo reissue soundtrack, and if anyone is still looking for a copy, the rarest at 199 made are still available over at the phactory

11. I love this franchise as a horror fan. It's been underrated for years.

LeeVing likes this.
  12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It`s only a dream!....NO it`s not.:yikes:

LeeVing likes this.
  13. spewey

spewey Senior Member

My dream car...

[​IMG]

14. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

That is such a nice car...and I'm not even a car guy.

spewey likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..and you survived!

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

One of my first studios after leaving Dawnbreaker did the soundtrack for the first Phantasm. Unfortunately for me, that meant I was subjected to watching it and I had a very hard time watching that flying machine that latched on to people's heads and drilled into them as their blood drained out. I never could watch horror movies. Kind of sad in a way because one of my friends is a well known horror film director and I can't watch his movies.

For those that are interested, the soundtrack was recorded on an old UREI tube console, which I was hired to remove and replace with a more modern board. I urged against installing the new board as I knew it wouldn't sound very good. None the less, he had me install it, and before you know it he discovered all the weakness in that board for himself.

It was an expensive exercise but as a result I had gained his ultimate trust. A few months later I had convinced him to buy an Amek M3000 which was an excellent sounding console. We flew to England to check it out before purchasing it and that was an awesome experience. He ended up with world class gear and his sound output improved considerably, which after all was our goal.

Btw, I sold his UREI tube board to Neil Sinclair who would later form Theta Corporation. I have no idea what he did with it.

Also I believe Phantasm was his first soundtrack. He did some record production before becoming a very successful soundtrack producer with hundreds of credits.

Simon A, Thwacko, Texastoyz and 3 others like this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Boy!!!!!

Marble Index and Beatle Terr like this.
  18. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Doug, I was told years ago that the soundtrack had some great bottom end effects. Am I misremembering this?

19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I can't remember much of what it sounded like. That tube console didn't sound bad at all, but it sure did heat up the small control room.

Paul was a pretty clever producer so it surely could have sounded like that.

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Love the soundtrack, wish it would get a reissue on vinyl.

21. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

It did

22. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Yep...Mondo has a few various colored pressings out.

Phantasm Blood-Stained Yellow Vinyl Album »

This link has the one limited to 199, the least I've seen.

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I worked at the house the first one was filmed many years ago one summer

Thwacko and Ghostworld like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.