I like Tom Cruise. There, I've said it.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've been couch potatoing this past week. I've seen The Last Samurai, Jack Reacher and Mission Impossible the Last one.

His is a good screen presence.

Just thought I'd mention it...

alexpop, Jeffczar, supermd and 9 others like this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have liked almost everything he was in except "Vanilla Sky".

"Oblivion" from last year was really good.

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I agree he has a good screen presence, but he is quite limited as an actor. Clark Gable had good screen presence and his acting ability was limited also.
    There are a handful of movies with Cruise that I enjoy in spite of him. He's been miscast more times than I can count, but when a role fits him well, he can be good.

Damiano54 likes this.
  4. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I liked him a lot back in the day, but that Oprah interview was so bizarre and off-putting that I just can't take him seriously anymore.

somnar and MarkO like this.
  5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Cruise can be a wonderful actor when he gets an interesting role to work with. My late great acting teacher Don Fellows used to say what makes someone a good actor is when you believe them. May sound simple but as an actor I can tell it is not easy to achieve this. It takes a lot of work.

Get2Me, soundboy and mikeyt like this.
  6. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

He's a guy I want to dislike but most of the time I find that I just can't. I expected to really like Oblivion and that Jack Reacher would be disappointing but for me it turned out to be the complete opposite.

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I'm a fan. He had some good moments in Vanilla Sky, but the push for 'Cryonics' or Cryogenics -or whatever the word is these days- was so heavy handed that I ended up not liking it.
    Not Tom's fault though.
    The dark humor and other elements in Collateral were great-and Risky Business was a hoot.Two films of his that I haven't seen yet are Born On The 4th of July and the earlier one called Taps.

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah- he is always a good performer. Take Interview with a Vampire - great cast - but Tom Cruise really made it enjoyable - for once Pitt was just too dull in his dreamy role - don't get me started on Bandaras - "You love too much.." :doh:

Pennywise likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As a Robert Duvall fan, my bar is set pretty high.

hidden1one, BurgerKing and hvbias like this.
  10. Todd Fredericks

I met him while shooting 'Vanilla Sky' and he was very funny and charming. Despite whatever is written about him on a set he is a hard working pro and doesn't take himself too seriously. I find most actors are their "true" selves on a set or back stage (or in the pub).

Old Rusty, bababooey, Get2Me and 2 others like this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Can this be the first thing we disagree on?:wave:

12. 2 out of 3 of those films are great.

13. I might be one of the few who loves vanilla sky but I totally get why many don't. Great soundtrack too.

14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't think Cruise was a good match for that role at all. He is nothing like the character in the books.

15. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think he's extremely attractive. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If I could only appreciate actors based on their personal lives, the list of actors I'd like would be pretty short. That said, I don't like Tom Cruise either :)

17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

His derrière looks like two firm apples pressed together...

18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I can't argue with that :laugh:

19. for me Bandaras and Pitt were so much better in that film

20. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Born on the Fourth of July was a great performance. So was Rainman. And Tropic Thunder. Even Valkyrie. Jerry Maguire. Far and Away. I guess I like him too!

Grant likes this.
  21. Tom Cruise the actor I quite like. Tom Cruise the person I have no time for. My favourite movie role of his is, believe it or not, 'Eyes Wide Shut'.

Grant and hidden1one like this.
  22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Great in Rain Man. Poor in Eyes Wide Shut (but still a great movie---so he's not so bad that he ruins it). Seems to work hard, try hard---often too hard.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Lead actor in movies directed by Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg, De Palma, Coppola, Ridley Scott, Pollack, Mann.

Imho, "Magnolia" and "Born on the 4th of July" are his best performances. My personal fave movie starring T.C is "Vanilla Sky" though.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  24. Todd Fredericks

He's on fire in 'Magnolia'. Very memorable performance.

somnar, Chris DeVoe, Mohojo and 2 others like this.
  25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I think many people will be surprised by what he'll be offering in 20 years as a mature actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.