I like Tom Cruise. There, I've said it.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

For what it's worth ... I actually liked the film a lot; have the blu-ray and watched it a couple times.

2. tcj

tcj Senior Member

If you have Amazon Prime, it is available for free (in HD, no less!) through Prime Instant Video. I haven't seen it either, but it's on my watchlist.

3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I watched Jack Reacher not expecting to like it because I have read the books and Cruise seemed like a poor casting choice. I was pleasantly surprised by it! Having Robert Duvall sure didn't hurt!

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

How about the new one out tomorrow? Looks pretty sweet. Here's Richard Roeper (I copied this from Metacritic, where the Roeper review for the film was scored 100): "Edge of Tomorrow is the ultimate metaphor about Tom Cruise’s career. You can’t kill this guy. He’ll just keep coming. And he remains arguably the biggest movie star in the world for a reason. He brings it."

Bring me some good SF, baby.

5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

IT IS!!!........if you are 5 years old.

Cruise was a synonym for quality......not for this.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think he's one of the most professional actors around today.
    My favorite performance of his was "The Last Samurai", a very underrated film.

Karnak likes this.
  7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I genuinely can't fault Tom Cruise as an actor and his talent as such. He has certainly earned his success. And I have a high regard for certain films with which he's been associated.

Having said that, being a competent and talented artist doesn't excuse one for being a total nut job in his private life. Outside of a movie studio, I just can't take the guy seriously.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

EOT much better than ' oblivion.

Karnak likes this.
  9. I just had this discussion with my co-workers the other day and this was my stance as well. His movies are, for the most part, very entertaining. He may play similar roles in 90% of them, but it's a comfortable shoe and he does well with it. I just check my brain at the door and enjoy.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I think he's a decent actor in the right role, but his promotion of the CoS is a malign and destructive force. I hope that some day he comes to his senses. Until then, when he's in a movie I wish to see, I'll pay for a different film at the multiplex, preferably an independent one. I can't, in good conscience, give any money to that organization, even indirectly.

Rachael Bee and RolandG like this.
  11. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Rain Man is a masterpiece IMO and Born On The Fourth Of July proved without a doubt that Cruise was/is a great actor overall.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

When he says "my first apartment in New York," it sounds like a very humble story from his early days. But I'm imagining that it was probably huge and the TV was as big as the wall and he went all out with the gear.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Not really. It was surprisingly modest, all things considered. They didn't have the big TV's back then that they have now. This was pre-HD for sure.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I really don't care about his religion. I just know that he's an amazing actor and that a friend of mine who had lunch with him once says he's a great guy.

Karnak, Doug Sclar and heatherly like this.
  15. It's pretty darn good.

SBurke likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

top of my list to own! love Tom's stuff...never fails to entertain!

17. Mmmmm maybe it would be better to actually see the film and form an opinion rather than one based on assumptions.

If you just do t like the films he's made, state it upfront. Cruise has made his share of stinkers but Edge of Tomorrow (I hate the title but can't think of anything better at the moment)

I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from some mi or issues with the resolution, I thought it was a very good film.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  18. Smiths22

You have all wrong.......sigh...

you are assumpting i haven't seen the movie when i did.

If i didn't like Tom Cruise movies i hadn't written this: Cruise was a synonym for quality......not for this.

You are completely free to enjoy this kid's movie dude and i'm pretty free too to dislike it.

BTW i suggest you to watch this:

[​IMG]

You might find all that "repeating days plot" is not new....

Regarding the alien part i can suggest you many but i'm gonna pick one for you:

[​IMG]

Mix both and guess what you have? yes you are right new Tom's movie.!

19. Well you didn't state that you had seen it. I didn't state that I thought you hated Cruise just stated he has made his fair share of stinkers. I don't think he's synonymous for quality necessarily.

Really? Tell us something that we don't know. The similarity to the premise of Groundhog Day as been mentioned from day one.

I've seen both of the movies you mentioned and as stated in many reviews it does have a similar premise to Groundhog Day but that premise was from a Japanese novel that was published as I recall before Groundhog Day was released (which, by the way, owes a debt to a Richard Lupoff short story and for which Ramis was sued. the sort film based on Lupoff's story which was popular in fesvitals came out three years before agroundhog Day--does that make Groundhog Day an less enjoyable? nope. )but to imply that it's not good or only suitable for a 5 year old because it shares a similar premise to another film is absurd.

Liman's film eschews the trappings of Groundhog Day--Cruise's character is t the first to experience it and he finds the person who also experienced it before. He works with a group of people to effect change and must win their belief that he isn't crazy. Is it a variation on the same idea as before? Sure but when isn't a film or novel a variation on what has come before? It's what you bring to the project that counts.

"Starship Troopers" and the Cruise film have little in common except fighting aliens. Heck, the premise of both are very different in tht regard.

There are 36 dramatic situations. That's it. You do what you can with those situations.

It's how you develop the premise that matters as much as the idea itself.

I didn't say you couldn't like it (your reading things in my response that aren't there and,if you didn't state that you had seen the film--when the original post you replied to was based on seeing the trailer, your response would imply the same unless you came right out and stated that "saw it, designed for a five year old", etc.)

Karnak likes this.
  20. Smiths22

Ok i didn't state i had seen it but you implied "someone" hadn't. Re read your post. The thread is not about this movie trailer but Tom Cruise in general.
    If i hadn't seen it i wouldn't be commenting here don't you think?

Yeah although IMO Cruise is F nuts i still like him.

And that's precisely what i said also about starship troopers: Regarding the alien part i can suggest you many but i'm gonna pick one for you.

It is cool that you are aware of groundhog day, and yes i agree i'm pretty sure before groundhog day was another similar thing. Poor Ramis RIP.

Nop as i already said: You are completely free to enjoy this kid's movie dude and i'm pretty free too to dislike it. If you think my statement is absurd its fine by me that's your opinion but again (i'm repeating myself )that's a movie for kids and teens. It's like me saying: The Godfather is only suitable for adults and you'd come and say: Nah that's absurd it is suitable for kids too......that would be only your opinion....

And if you are an adult and you like the movie that's fine we all have a child inside...you know...but IMO its a very predictable movie not living up to Cruise standards.

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree: ... I generally like him. The last film I saw that I thought that he was really wrong for is Valkyrie. He was so-ooo wrong for that role. My fav' role for him is still A Few Good Men. He came off well in that uniform.

22. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I love Rain Man, I love A Few Good Men, and I love Jerry Maguire.

There, I've said it ..:) :righton:

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Why do so many guys feel guilty about liking Tom Terrific...??? ;) ....including the OP!

24. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I feel that he has kind of fallen into the same trapping that many other older established actors have fallen into (Depp, Pitt, etc) that he's been around so long that he kind of plays the same guy in every new movie he makes these days.

25. marke

marke Forum Resident

My top Tom Cruise films-
    Legend
    Top Gun
    Color of Money
    Interview with a Vampire
    Minority Report
    Collateral
    Last Samurai

Edge of Tomorrow is very entertaining too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.